Thread: Model 70 Help!

Default Model 70 Help!

My favorite deer rifle is having some problems. It's a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag, probably about 5 years old, stainless/synthetic. Last Fall the magazine cover catch (I think this is the right term) broke off, and the spring shot it across the room, leaving the magazine cover hanging. I was able to recover all the parts, but the local gunsmith is having a lot of difficulty locating a replacement part. In fact my favorite rifle has been at the gun shop since September, and he still hasn't been able to locate the right part. Can anybody tell me where a good place to start looking is, or if there is an alternative way to fix this problem? I hate to have such a great rifle ruined by a part that's smaller than a .30 cal bullet.

Thanks Guys

Default How in the world ...?

Gotta ask how the catch broke! Photo, maybe?
    Check here, at http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/parts/index.asp
    Numrich might have one, Brownells likely has one, and there should be other sources for this.

Factory Service centers for Winchester can get parts from Browning

If you need to go hunting before you locate the part, just run a band of duct tape across the bottom of the stock to hold the floorplate in place. Looks like hell, but works well.

I have to do that on my ultralight 375 because every time I shoot, the heavy recoil makes my trigger finger hits the floorplate release in the front of the trigger guard. No change in springs or releases has ever fixed it, and duct tape is a whole lot better than all your spare rounds laying on the ground at your feet.

Default Bottom metal

Since Sept??? You could order a new 1-Piece bottom metal from williams, brownells, etc.

Try this, those parts are not hard to find. What you need may be the pin that holds the plunger in place.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...z70%20PRE%2064
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Part of the problem was/is that the gun shop ordered a part which didn't fit. I'll call Winchester and the others to see if they can help me with it. I want the Winmag back before bear season.

As far as the question about how this happened, there's not much of a story. I was walking in the house to put it back in the gun safe when the catch broke and shot the spring out. It was not jarred or anything.

Default Repair and Replace

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Part of the problem was/is that the gun shop ordered a part which didn't fit. I'll call Winchester and the others to see if they can help me with it. I want the Winmag back before bear season.

As far as the question about how this happened, there's not much of a story. I was walking in the house to put it back in the gun safe when the catch broke and shot the spring out. It was not jarred or anything.
    If it broke that easy, I'm not sure I wouldn't try for a new super duper model or something. A broken part in the field can be disasterous; ruining a hunt or worse. Best of luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    My favorite deer rifle is having some problems. It's a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag, probably about 5 years old, stainless/synthetic. Last Fall the magazine cover catch (I think this is the right term) broke off, and the spring shot it across the room, leaving the magazine cover hanging. I was able to recover all the parts, but the local gunsmith is having a lot of difficulty locating a replacement part. In fact my favorite rifle has been at the gun shop since September, and he still hasn't been able to locate the right part. Can anybody tell me where a good place to start looking is, or if there is an alternative way to fix this problem? I hate to have such a great rifle ruined by a part that's smaller than a .30 cal bullet.

Thanks Guys
    You say pre-64 (1964) and it is about 5 years old?! Do you mean 50 years old? I don't know that the old gun parts and the new (post 94, [1994]) are fully interchangable. The link is for older pre-1964 guns.

I've never had a call to replace that part and don't know of them breaking. Hmmmmm!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Clarification

The rifle is about 5 years old, it is the model 70 pre-'64 action, in that it is the type with the claw extractor. However, it was not manufactured prior to 1964. From what I can tell, there was a very small piece of metal on the magazine cover catch holding it in place. It appears the rim holding it in place broke off. I will pick it up from the gun shop tomorrow night and post some pictures, that may clarify things.

Do a search on Numrich Gun Parts. I don't have the web site but you should be able to get it from a search. Good luck on your gun.

Default floorplate

duct tape would give it a real nice touch

+1 on the ductape!! Same piece has been on my ruger for 5 years now LOL!!!