Thread: What media works best in tumblers

Default What media works best in tumblers

What do you guys use to tumble or clean brass. I have a tumbler and have been using the same media for a long time and it's getting pretty dark. What's best, and how long does it last. When it says media is "treated" does this mean with a type of metal cleaner, and does treated last longer than non-treated. I remember reading somewhere about a guy who bought some sort of hamster bedding from a pet store to use as media, any truth to that?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Listed from “most aggressive” to least aggressive”

1 gravel, preferably salty gravel from Deep Creek or Ninilchick.
    2 Sand, preferably stolen from the city sand lot in the dark of night
    3 Walnut hulls mixed with urine. But the urine must contain at least 29% alcohol per volume to polish the brass quickly.
    4 Corn cob media and apple juice.
    5 OK, I just can go on………………….

For real now…………Walnut for cleaning, corn cob for polishing, add a tea spoon of water to keep the dust down and the orange smelling stuff that Midway USA sells seems to work really well.

Bottom line………..if you leave em in long enough, its really hard to go wrong.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I forgot to address your thoughts on Hamster bedding..............I suspect it would work best with the hamsters still in the bedding material! you could give each one a little sheep skin mitten with some flitz to "hand pollish" the brass as they vibrate around in the tumbler. Of course you may have to give each one of the hamsters a shot of whiskey to entice them into the tumbler. Make sure you document your results with plenty of video......................cause I just got to see that!

Ok...........seriously now. Gerbals would be better, cause you can fit more in the tumbler! OK...........no really, I will stop now. the hamster bedding is usually nothing more than cedar wood chips and they are not small enough or abrasive enough to really do any good polishing brass. but hey..............what do I know! I'm sure your kids wont mind if "fluffy" takes a spin in the tumbler with its bedding!!!! Ha!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I use the jugs of green Lyman corn-cob stuff. It's about as cheap as I can find it locally. I've used walnut media before, but I always found it to be too dusty for my liking.

I tried the pet bedding, but I didn't like it. The larger chunks would get stuck in some of the cases.....broke a few decapping pins in that venture.

I just got done running some 40 brass in some of that lizard cage stuff from Petco, and I don't have any issues with any sticking yet....yet...who knows. But it is a fraction of the cost of the "tumbler media" and works fine for me. I have been using a mixture of walnut hulls mixed 50-50 with corn cob. I got it from the bullet guy in Soldotna. He's always at the gun shows.

I just buy the Lyman stuff. Last jar I bought lasted 3 years.

I prefer the NY Times

Thumbs up Good Stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldrush View Post
    I prefer the NY Times
    Now that's funny!

For my first cleaning I use treated walnut shell if the cases are really dirty or tarnished. Then I resize, trim, etc. After case prep is complete I use corn cob media with a small amount of liquid polish. Lastly, I blow out the cases with compressed air prior to loading.

Woody

Have been using the crushed walnut media. I get mine at the local feed store for around $13.00 for a 50lb bag. I do a lot or cleaning and reloading but this stuff lasts a long time. Ifin it starts to get dirty I add a little bit of liquid car polish and keep going. When it starts to ware down again I just change the media in the vibrator and start all over again. A 50 lb bag will last me about8 to 10 yrs, and its cheaper than the 5lb box the gun shops sell.

Gun Runer

Default Interesting, a 50 lb bag of media

Gun Runner, What do they market 50 lbs of crushed walnut hulls as. I doubt we could find it in Fairbanks and that sounds like a lifetime supply for me but it's interesting. Is it bedding for reptiles or what?
    Thanks for all the feedback, I see Sportmans Whorehouse has the green lymans for around $15 for 8lbs. Sure makes a 50 lb bag sound like a deal.

Default other uses for walnut hulls

We use the 50 pound bags of walnut hulls for traction enhancement on the snow and ice up here at Prudhoe. I would suspect that would be the same use in for it down there.

I use the treated walnut shells. Next time I think I'll leave out the "treated" as some folks thnik it might damage the barrels. I like Woody's idea of blowing the cases with compressed air to clean them off.

I tried Lyman corn and the stuff would pack into the primer pockets of .223 and I'd have to pick it out of every case.

Thumbs up No Tumbler

Use a Chicago Electric Ultra Sonic Cleaner that I bought from Harbor Freight use Tad of Dish Liquid Dish soap and 50/50 of water and Vinagar....then wash off with hot water and air dry.

Cleans much better than my tumbler!

Default Walnut shell

Partner, my local Ranch & Feed store told me they use it in bird cages and something else (I forgot what). Dont know ifin you got a ranch and feed where your at. (right now I am located back in Calif-- getting ready to move back to Alaska). I know when I lived in Soldotna I use to get it their.
    Might have to add a couple of bags of the stuff to my moving stuff.
    Some guys use the dryer things like "Bounce". A couple of them in the tumbler/vibrator and let it run for a while and they say it cleans the media. Just a thought.

Gun Runner

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldrush View Post
    I prefer the NY Times
    For wiping what?

bd

Used Bounce, or new Bounce, collects the dust.

Nobody uses ceramic media?

+1 for ceramic media. I have it various sizes. No throw away. Buy the concentrate by the gallon. Never look back. Does a much better job and costs so much less, than any other method.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!