Thread: Tri-pod Weight?

Default Tri-pod Weight?

After upgrading my old spotter with a new one, I'm looking to do the same for my tri-pod. Is 3lbs and 24" height to much for packing in for sheep?

I have one that I think is a shade under 2 lbs, but it is a little bit wobbly when you extend it as high as it goes. A friend of mine has one that doesn't go as high, but it is super stable. I think mine goes up to 40 inches.

3 lbs seems awful heavy to me. Mine weighs 26ozs. How big is your spotter?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    3 lbs seems awful heavy to me. Mine weighs 26ozs. How big is your spotter?
    I went with the Pentak Pf-65 ED. I'd guess it's around 3lbs.

Get the Monfrato with the squeeze grip mount. It may weigh a little more, but when your glassing for hours the weight is well worth the convience. A stable tripod makes all the difference.

Default Squeeze mount

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Get the Monfrato with the squeeze grip mount. It may weigh a little more, but when your glassing for hours the weight is well worth the convience. A stable tripod makes all the difference.
    Yes the squeeze mount is very nice to have. I got one on my manfrotto tripod I take when using wheelers. However, that squeeze mount adds like another pound atleast. Which makes a light weight tripod even less stable. I usually don't glass for hours with my spotter anyways. Usually just use the spotter to dial animals in much closer once they have been spotted. But to pack an extra pound or more around on a backpacking hunt doesn't seem worth it.

Here's my scope and tripod. 20 bucks at walmart, 26ozs and pretty stable.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Perry, whats the name of that tripod? I've been looking for a light weight one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Perry, whats the name of that tripod? I've been looking for a light weight one myself.
    I don't remember the name but they are in the digital camera accessory section along with a mono-pod, a larger tripod and some tiny desktop ones. I was at walmart a couple weeks ago here in Fairbanks and they still carry them. The legs also splay out so you can use it prone.

Default tripods

ihntak,
    What kind of tripod do you have now? Does it work with your new scope?
    I would say that 24" high is not nearly high enough. I've extended the leg or legs on a 48" tripod before sheep hunting due to a steep slope.
    With tripods you usually get what you pay for. A $20 Walmart tripod is, well a cheap tripod. No offense snyd but cheap stuff wears out. I can't see spending the bucks for a quality scope and getting a pos tripod.
    I got a Velbon Ultra Maxi SF last year to trim weight. I now have 5 tripods I think. Anyway it supports my almost 4 pound scope very well. A little over a $100. Very sturdy.

Stewart's Camera in Anchortown is a Velbon dealer.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Snyd, Your tripod looks better and sturdier than mine and yet I paid $10 more than you did, its a bushnell (weighs 18 oz), I bought last year from Sportsmans in Fairbanks, It is a piece of junk, it says it will hold 4 lbs, but whenever there was a slight breeze it would tip over, with my scope on it, thats why I bought the scope cover.One of the leg tensioners are stripped So, I am too in the market for a better tripod. I tried laying the scope on my pack, but it wasn't working for me...might have to look at that walmart special or the velbon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    ...A $20 Walmart tripod is, well a cheap tripod. No offense snyd but cheap stuff wears out. I can't see spending the bucks for a quality scope and getting a pos tripod.
    I got a Velbon Ultra Maxi SF last year to trim weight. I now have 5 tripods I think. Anyway it supports my almost 4 pound scope very well. A little over a $100. Very sturdy..
    No offense taken. I don't find my self worth in stuff I own It's cheap but effective. And actually, this wallyworld tripod leg setup looks identical to the Luepold tripod at a lot less money. Except the head is different. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out of the same factory in China! I may try and rig a ball head for it, the head on it is so-so but it works. Where the legs attach it's metal as so is the click stop mechanism that adjusts the angle of the legs. The leg extenders are levers so they haven't stripped out. I'm always looking for a way to save a few bucks. I even made my own bino harness out of some old elastic suspenders. I looked at em for 25 bucks and figured that was a rip for what you get.

Is that Velbon the little 26 ouncer with the little ball head? When my wallyworld tripod bites the big one that's probably the one I'll look at.

Thanks for the tip Alasken. Checking out camera stores was next on my list. To clarify my original post, the 24" is after it's fully collapsed. I think it extends out to 61". I picked it up at Freddys for about $25. The weight plus my scope is at 6lbs, a little much for me. Thanks for the input so far.

What do you guy's think of this one?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/tripods/...country-tripod

Seems like a decent tripod. I think you can get it around ~$70 if you look around.