Thread: Loads for a 338 SHORTY

Default Loads for a 338 SHORTY

Just wondering if anybody has any good recipes for a 250 grain bullet coming out of a 19.5" 338 win mag? I've got on a kick lately for short barrels after seeing a custom 35 whelen with a 18.5" tube. My 338 is a Remington 700 KS Mountain Rifle. I kept the stock 24" barrel, didn't want to hack it up, so I am having a new 19.5 installed. Should be back from the smith in a couple of weeks. I know I will lose some velocity but shouldn't be to severe with a faster powder like RL15. Thanks for any info.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default 338

I have a Md 70 338 mag that I have been shooting for over 30 years that sports a 20" barrel. It started out as a back up for bow and handgun hunting. Over the years it turned into my main hunting rifle. The loads that I am currently using are: Sierra 215 with 72.1 grs H4350; Barnes 225X with 67.5 of IMR 4831; Sierra 250 with 73.0 of H4831 and Speer 275 with 68.5 on IMR 4831. None of these are hot load but all shoot 1" or better at 100 yards as long as I do my part.
    Good luck with your shorty barrel. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Default Velocities

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I have a Md 70 338 mag that I have been shooting for over 30 years that sports a 20" barrel. It started out as a back up for bow and handgun hunting. Over the years it turned into my main hunting rifle. The loads that I am currently using are: Sierra 215 with 72.1 grs H4350; Barnes 225X with 67.5 of IMR 4831; Sierra 250 with 73.0 of H4831 and Speer 275 with 68.5 on IMR 4831. None of these are hot load but all shoot 1" or better at 100 yards as long as I do my part.
    Good luck with your shorty barrel. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
    Thanks for the info Bearcat, have you chronographed the sierra 250's or the speer 275's?

Default Rl15

Has anyone tried RL15 out of a short barelled 338? I thought I had seen it in a past forum but couldn't find it.

Default Shorter barrel-faster powder?

I'm not sure that a faster powder will give you better velocity in a shorter barrel than the powder that gave the best velocities when the barrel was longer. We experimented with this a number of years ago using a .30-06, and what we found showed that the powders giving the best velocities out of a 24" barrel also gave the best velocities out of the same barrel when it was cut to 18". An example would be that DuPont 4350 had given the best velocities with the 180 gr. bullet in the 24" barrel. It also gave the best in the 18" barrel. A number of faster powders were tried, such as WW748, but they could not match the velocities of DuPont 4350 in the 18" barrel without undue pressures.

I have read articles on this issue since, and other experimenters had the same experience.

A possible exception to this could be found if one had access to data on relative expansion ratios and comparitive pressure curves for different powders in the same caliber, but that might be a bit hard to come by. Try some different loads, but I think you might find what I mention above.
    Jack.