Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep pants

Default Sheep pants

After doing some looking here in Anchorage and on the internet, looks like finding a pair of Sporthill pants is going to be hard if not impossible before my sheep hunt coming up on the 24th of Aug. Was wondering if anyone has found any similar type pants to use for sheep hunting. Barney's has the new camo pant, but thought the price was a bit higher than I want to spend right now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Check your private messages in the upper righthand corner of this page.

By the way, how much $ is Barney's charging for the camo Sporthills?

I was told he was charging about $230.

Akkona-I was there today and the tag said $200. thanks for the info...

Default sheep pants

I bought a pair of the sport hill pants at Barneys last week. They were the black ones. They cost 130 dollars. They had several different sizes. The camoflage ones were 150. Maybe the prices went up? I can not say enough good things about those black sport hill pants. I wore them for 4 years of hard hunting. I had to stitch the seat from sliding down rocks, but still use them. The rear did not rip but had lots of little holes from the shale. I bought another pair because i was concerned that like many things once you find somthing that works great they either change it or eliminate it. Thosse pants can be soaken wet and dry in only an hour just from the wind. They are the best thing i have ever hunted in. Hope you can find them at a good price as you will love them Chef Viktor

Default Sheep Pants

I bought a pair of Windshear pants from Cabela's last spring. They were $50.
    They have a black fleece tight weave, nylon sewn in knees. A couple of cargo pockets that aren't too large. A elastic/velcro cuff setup with a elastic and cinch buckles for the waist. You might try to find them on the Cabela's website and see what you think. I am seriously considering taking them next week for my sheep hunt.

Default Pants

Having not heard of the SportHill, I will be using REI's Minstral pants for an earler season hunt. On sale now for $70, but color and sizes limited (I got dark khaki). They also have heavier ones called the Taku which I tried but sent back.

REI: http://www.rei.com/product/47547174.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Which SportHill do you guys use? There are a lot of them on their website, are there different/better ones for mtn hunting?

SportHill: http://www.sporthill.com/prodlist.ph...3PANT&gender=m

Talking pants

bizymocha;

do you have a link or product # for the $50 cabelas pants. seems like a smoking deal. what colors do they come in?

i hav ehad the sporthill pants in blk. from barney's for 5 years now. they are seriously windproof. they make a matching shirt as well. the down side on my pants is there is no fly. i understand they now offer a fly for the guys who don't like pulling their pants down.

they do rip fairly easily. they are very comfortable and good to climb in. i will have them with me in the park in sept. i would not go without them.

cabelas makes pants that are very cheap, rugged and wind proof, they are called microtex. not great for climbing, but very windproof and rugged.

Default sheep pants

I like camo US Army helicopter pilot pants. BDUs made from Nomex. Beat the heck out of everything. $10 on ebay, wear like iron, and will dry from your body heat in 10 minutes.

Just order the Sporthills direct and cut out the middle man, you can get them for less than $105.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve
    I like camo US Army helicopter pilot pants. BDUs made from Nomex. Beat the heck out of everything. $10 on ebay, wear like iron, and will dry from your body heat in 10 minutes.
    aksteve;

that is cheap enough for sure. do you have a link?

Cabelas Outfitter Micro Fleece with cargo pockets. They are the most comfortable fleece pants I have ever worn. Comes with belt loops and 2 outfitter camo patterns. They are $49 and are awesome for early season anything. Got the henley too and you can sweat your ass off and they will breathe great, dry super quick, and combined with long underwear and rain pants will keep you warm enough. It stretches great so you lose no mobility also (for climbing). I love this stuff when you need lightweight, synthetic and breathable. This is my primary outfit for sheep hunting now, just a couple othe rlayering items and its perfect for early season.. Here is the link

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...823&id=0032926

Default mircotex from cabelas

Hey guys

look these up they are great pants and dry very fast.

I have the Microtex too and they are great pants, but for climbing when sheep hunting they restrict my mobility way more than the microfleece, which stretches and gives you more mobility. Just food for thought.

Default Sporthill still the best

Sporthill pants are still the best I have tried for Alaskan hunting, either as an outer pant or worn as underwear with a heavier pant for less active hunting. Climbing pants need to stretch, and Microtex pants do not compare to Sporthill pants in this category.

You can find these pants made from 3SP fabric on Sporthill's site or other websites. There are several varieties for various prices depending on what features you need. The important aspect is the fabric -- 3SP. It is what makes the pants.

Default Ak Steve

Here is a link to the aircrew BDUs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-AIRCREW-...QQcmdZViewItem

The forest service wildland firefighter pants are good too. My friends at BLM Cadastral Survey like them a lot. I've tried the fancy pants....they are junk compared to my old nomex. When it gets wet I toss on a pair of Filson chaps and call it good.

Anyone have a link to the Sporthill camo pants? I can't find them on the internet whatsoever.

Wink sporthill

matt;

bill in pa. post #7 in this thread provided the link to sporthill.

for the camo pants barney's, who supports this site, has them from time to time. check that out. i beleive the camo version has a fly in front, a nice option.

hope that helps.

Default Latest Field Test

After reading this thread I bought a pair of the Cabelas berber micro fleece. On Aug 11 (second day wearing them), I was going uphill & slipped on a rock. I landed on my rear & split out the seat the size of a basketball. They weren't tight on me so it must be some kind of defect. I had a pair of Microtex as backups. I wouldn't recommend the berber micro fleece.

Default Cabelas Microtex

I just got back last week from a sheep hunt. The Microtex Outfitter pattern was very comfortable and dried quickly. I don't see any camo pattern for sale on Sorthills website. I doubt they would go for something like that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast