Thread: Where's the best place to get rabbits?

Exclamation Where's the best place to get rabbits?

I need To know where the best place to get rabbits is around palmer or point mackenzie or lake louise somewhere around there wheres the best place to get rabbits?

Thank You

Default No Rabbits

Took an Alaska Biology class several years ago thru UAA...professor said there are no rabbits in Alaska, just domesticated ones ( like the ones in Valdez) you probably meant hares. Everytime I say "rabbits" i get corrected by some of the local smarties here.

ok yeah what ever rabbits/hares i think there the same thing as long as i got me some rabbit/hare meat

Have you went in the woods and looked for any hare sign?

Middleton Island

I just went down around the portage area the other weekend and shot a bunch of them. As you are going south on the Seward Highway, past Girdwood, there is a small red roofed building that is the Kenai Peninsula visitors center. We crossed the highway at that point and walked out toward the inlet in the thick willows. This is still in GMU 14C and I got the handout at the fish and game office, talked to the officer there, and made sure it was OK. Need to be careful though and not go too far south, otherwise you get into unit 7 and you can't hunt there I was told. You also can't shoot when within 150 yards of the highway. Oh and one more thing, you will need snowshoes, the snow is pretty deep.

Default posted

Akskidoo,
    If you went where I think, parking in the railroad info lot, & went across the hwy you were on posted land. From the parking lot as you look there is a small sign direclty across the road there. I think somewhere back there you will run into the land for big game ak & that may be why its posted private.
    May just want to double check next time.

I know someone already answered, "Go into the woods" but in this day and age I think there are more people who get all bent out of shape if you're on their property, so "woods" is too vague.

Like the original poster, I'm looking for a place I can take my 14-year old son to hunt rabbits with his bow. We're between Palmer and Wasilla and I don't mind driving maybe an hour or so.

Jay

PS - I feel kind of like a dork posting this, because when I was a kid we just went and hunted -- it wasn't a big thing. Now I have a kid and I don't know where to go to kill a rabbit. *sigh*

There really is no secret to finding rabbits. Look in the forests and alders/willows around swampy areas. that bit of area just before eureka has some in it. Edges along rivers usually have them.

Drive the old palmer highway and walk around out there. You will get a good idea of what they like to live in. The Eklutna tailrace usually has some rabbits around. As well as most stretches of land on that highway.

Rabbits are about the easiest things to find. Well seeing them is a different story but the habitat and signs to look for are easy to spot.

When your looking just keep an eye out for tracks or poop. If you dont see any sign within 10-15 minutes of walking your probably wasting your time.

Right now would be a good time to scout. THe lack of snow will make them stick out like sore thumbs. Also All the meltwater will contain them a bit on the high grounds.

If you can't go out there now and find a white rabbit with no snow on the ground, then you will never get one, ever.

My suggestion is to take a overnight trip toward Delta, Tok or Nenana. With the longer days there is lots of time snoop around in likely areas. No need to camp as there are places to stay on the road. The farther away from Anch. the better areas you'll find. I've found btween Summit Lake and Delta is a good stretch as is the Tok cut off. I tend to like the Glenn Hwy. over the Nenana because the lower areas around Nenana have a lot of water and sloughs. There are good areas around Healy. These days the rabbits(hares) will be out and about, actually they are easy to see in the snow once you see a couple. If the rabbits are exposed to many predators including humans they will be more active early, late and durning the night. The key is get in the car, get out of Anch. then get out of the car. If you don't find sign right away then move, there is really no need to hike around all day looking for sign. Don't forget your snowshoes.
    pete

still good at Middleton? anyone putting trips together to go? I have been 3 times, but sure has been a while, like the day of the oil spill. Would sign up to go again.