Thread: Change out ammo

Default Change out ammo

Back in the summer about two years ago I was shooting my 7mm rifle through a conograph. When I got done I happened to notice that I had a little Freedom Arms 22mag. in my pocket so I decided to shoot it through the conograph also. The gun shot about 275 - 325 feet per second. I could not belive what I was seeing. I went in the house and got fresh ammo and the gun went to around 1000 feet per second. I had carried the gun in my pocket for about three months with the same ammo in it. Now I change the ammo out every 30 days to be on the safe side. Have any of you ever checked your ammo that you have carried for a period of time? Or have you had problems with ammo that has been carried for a while? Thanks.

Default What ammo?

Was the ammo you kept in the gun several months the same as the fresh ammo you replaced it with?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Watta story:

I would be more inclined to believe that the ammo was bad to begin with, than that it went bad while in your gun.

I've never had ammo go bad, but then I've never had it bad to begin with, except for some handloads someone sold me many years ago.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have also had this happen but only with 22 long rifle ammo that has been exposed to water. I had a box of 50 in the pocket of my rain jacket and didnt notice that the pocket flap had fallen into the pocket and thruout the day in the rain, the pocket filled up with water. Months later I went to shoot some of that ammo (the cardboard box had all but melted away) and most were duds but the ones that did go off sounded pretty weak. I think those were CCI Stingers, but cant recall for sure. I do remember that the bullets were a bit wobbly in the cases and suspect that they let water seap in and ruin the powder.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

When you shoot four or five thousand rounds through a chronograph each year, you get to see lots of funny stuff. In this case I'd say your 22 ammo was bad from the beginning, it does not deteriorate in just a few months and then not to that extent regardless of whether stored under water or not. I'm surprised about the 1000 fps that seems very high for this what 3" barrel?

But there is nothing wrong with changing to fresh ammo every 30 days and just shoot up the old stuff through a chronograph and keep good records. We could all learn something from it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'll sign onto the guess that the ammo was bad to begin with. I've abused 22 ammo a lot worse without a problem.

I will say though, that I recently got into a bunch of bricks of HV 22LR I bought more than 20 years ago while plinking with my nephew. We both noticed that some of it was louder than others, all from the same box.

Went back home to retrieve the chrono, and sure enough some of the loads dropped more than 100 fps from normal, just enough to get them below the sound barrier and remove the supersonic crack. Still seemed to shoot as well at plinking ranges of 25 yards or so. No problem cycling the 1022 he was using, and no noticeable accuracy loss in my CZ bolt.

Almost broke the poor kid's heart when I told him we would just have to shoot up all that old ammo rather than leave it laying around. ;-) Late in the day I noticed him shooting with his second finger rather than his trigger finger. Turns out he had loaded those 1022 clips so often he had worn a blister on his finger. Still grinning and shooting, though.

BTW- Brands involved were CCI, WW, Federal and Remington. All seemed to suffer from 20+ years of storage, even with temp and humidity controls.

The ammo was from the same box. I had carried the gun in my front pocket 7 days a week in rain, and hot weather. The 1000 feet per second is probally a little faster than it actually shot as I do not remember the exact speed. I do know it was about three times faster after I put fresh ammo in the gun. It made a beliver out of me enough that I change out ammo on a regular basis.

I have seen a lot of 22 rimfire ammo do funny stuff like this and mis-fires.

I think the priming mixture is the culprit. It is dropped into the case as a liquid while the case is spinning (no joke) and that throws it to the hollow rim. It is then allowed to dry and it is a fragile glaze. Rough handling will crack this priming mix and it will break out of the rim and if it is gone from the part where the firing pin strikes, it won't fire. If only partially gone it will give erratic ignition and varying velocity. I don't think it is exposure to heat or humidy or or other environmental factors, it's just the primer.

It would be interesting to take a box of centerfire ammo of known composition that has been stored under adverse conditions and chronograph five rounds from it every year. Just to see what happens.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I can recall something about having ammo in the glove box jumping around for a long period of time and changing the burning rate of the powder causing hot loads (smaller flake or grain = faster burn) ?? I don't know about that but I would not advise anyone to clean some old loaded ammo in their case vibrator. I do run my loaded ammo for just a few seconds before boxing for storage... Just a thought