Thread: Garmin 182

Default Garmin 182

I'm looking for a PC Interface cable for a Garmin 182. I posted an ad on Craigslist, does anybody have any other ideas?

Default Garmin

Did you try the Garmin Web site? https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=168&pID=159

Default CaptDD

Hey thanks, I feel like an idiot. I didn't even think of going to Garmins website, I was told the 182 was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Anchorage View Post
    I'm looking for a PC Interface cable for a Garmin 182. I posted an ad on Craigslist, does anybody have any other ideas?
    Try Northern Lights Avionics @ Merrill Field.

Default garmin

another place to check is tvnav.com have dealt with them and just purchased my new nuvi from them

Default updates or personal info?

Hey Todd - just fyi...

I wanted to update my 188c with the latest (patches/fix) software from Garmin. I considered buying the cable but soon realized that spending that kind of money on a discountinued product was silly.

If you are looking to do the same then here is some information for ya... If not disregard.

Here is a copy of a PM I had with another forum member on how the system works.

Fixed it for sure!!! I used the boat on about a dozen trips which equals about 60-75 hours worth of run time... Anyway, I have had NO problems since repairing the ant. cable...

As for your question on the "upgrade"...
    First let me clarify - What I downloaded is what they call an "update"... I think it's basically an electronic programming fix for minor bugs and gliches... I saw NO change in performance but feel better having done it...

Go to Garmin's web site and click on updates and downloads, unit software: Currently the only update for the 188c is dated May 2007.

Here's the link (if it works) http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp
    scroll down to 188c

But here's the catch - You have three options...

1) you can download the update for free but unless you own the fancy $60.00 cable there's no way to get it from you computer to your 188C.... I thought about buying the cable but then realized like with any electronics the 188c would be discountinued before I got much use out of the update cable.

2) If your computer has a "card reader" slot that will accept a blank card then you can save the updates on the card and then put it in the 188C.

3) and finally (my favorite) is to call garmin Support and tell them you'd like an update disk. They will take a credit card # from you and charge you $50. They'll ship the card to you. When you get it follow the instructions which is plug it in your 188C, turn it on and click YES download updates...

Then send the disk back and they'll refund the $50... It worked slick...

Hope this helps...

Winmag