Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope .375 HH

Default scope .375 HH

Thinking about changing the scope on my 375 from a 2-7 to 3-9. Does it matter? which would all of you prefer?

I would stick with the 2-7. I have a VX-III 1.75-6 on mine and its perfect for what I ask of the rifle. Sometimes wish I would have saved my self $100 and bought another VX-II 2-7, which is a favorite of mine. I guess it all depends on what you are using the rifle for.

2 x 7 is fine, other excellent choices include the 1.75 x 6 and the 1.5 x 5. I prefer Leupold, but there are other excellent makes out there.

I've got a VX-II 2-7x on mine, and I like it.

Take a Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42 or if you only plan on real dangerous game a Z6i 1-6x24 and do it by rail mount!!!

Klaus

Default Scoping the .375.

What, where, and under what conditions are you hunting? All 'round?
    Jack.

Default VX-II 1-4x

I've got a Leupold VX-II 1-4x on my .375 H&H. IMHO, that's about all the scope you'd ever need on one. To my notion, as great as the cartridge is, if I want to shoot more than 200-300 yards which that scope would be sufficient for, I'd be carrying a rifle chambered in a cartridge more suited to longer ranges. Just my $.02.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

I also have a Vari-X II 2-7 on my 375 H&H, the only thing I would change on it are the reticles, other than that I am very happy with it.

Thumbs up

Ditto on the 2x7 VX-II ! Thats whats on mine.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Ditto on the 2x7 VX-II ! Thats whats on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Ron

Same for me.

I use a fixed 4 power Leupold with the heavy duplex. Works well and it takes the beating on my Encore.

Vx11 2-7x33 gelled great on my old 340Roy. Now it works a-treat on my 338WM & 7mm-08Rem & no doubt the same deal with my 9.3x62.

Default scope

1.75 x 6 by 32mm VX111 Leupold with the post/duplex reticle from their custom shop.

That's what I'm running on mine.

If you want the best - 1.5-6X42 Schmidt & Bender Zenith...Any scope designed to shoot lions by moonlight will work for Alaska.

Default 2x7

the Leopould 2x7 isn't really a 2x7, wish I had known that before I bought it, I have it on my Weatherby 338, and it's fine, but I wanted a true 2 power scope and it's really a 2.5 x 6.5 so not as advertised on either end of the spectrum. Guess you have to read the fine print... If I had it to do over I'd get the 3x9, as a 6.5 just barely gets out there. or I'd get a scope that was a true 2x7.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    If you want the best - 1.5-6X42 Schmidt & Bender Zenith...Any scope designed to shoot lions by moonlight will work for Alaska.
    Ditto. But only if you have vary deep pockets and and can't stand the idea of having any less than the vary best.

With all the .375 H&H in this old Alaska, I'll bet more of them wear the 1.5 X 5 Leupold, than any other. I think the the Leupold 1.75 X 6 is a real step up for guys with more experienced eyes (read that as, us old guys).
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

1.5x5 VariX III on mine and it is all I want on there.

If you think you can shoot out past 100yds with open sights then a 4x scope should take you to 300yds. Don't get me wrong, I like higher magnification but on a .375 it defeats the purpose of a "I'm gonna shoot it before it eats me" gun. I don't want to see only hair when I want to see a chest. There are a lot better rifles if you want to really reach out there and that is where I prefer to put my big scopes.

Don't overlook the Trijicon Accupoint. I have Leupolds and was amazed at the quality and performance of the Trijicon. Best out there IMHO.

Default Leupold 2 x 7 VX-II optics

Earlier in the year I was comparing a variety of scopes I have accumulated at low light conditons. Some were variables and a I had a few fized power scopes also. I was comparing the ability of the scopes to pick up the details on a neigbor's dark singled roof in moderate to deep twilight so basically I was looking at brightness and contrast.

The top end scope was an older Schmitt & Bender 6X, on the low end I had an old Weaver K4 I bought new in the mid 60s. In between were Leupolds XV-IIs and IIIs, 2 Pentax light seekers, a Burris 3x9, and an older Zeiss 6X. All the scopes had 1" or 26 mm tubes.

Other than the K4 the only other scope that seemed to show any significant difference in performance was the Leupold 2 x 7 Vari-XII - it just didn't snow the ability to pick out the fine details in low light. I was really surprised, I was planning to put the scope on my .375 Mdl. 70.

The 2x7 VX-II is a later model with the letter suffix in the serila no. and the scope is near new - i don't recall when or where I got it. Quite frankly I was really surprised that it didn't measure up. While the test was hardly scientific I did repeat it several times and I had no problems with the other Leupold scopes. I tried all the scopes at different power settings since some were fixed and some very variable.

Any thoughs on why the 2x7 didn't meassure up or anone have any similar expereinces?

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    the Leopould 2x7 isn't really a 2x7, wish I had known that before I bought it, I have it on my Weatherby 338, and it's fine, but I wanted a true 2 power scope and it's really a 2.5 x 6.5 so not as advertised on either end of the spectrum. Guess you have to read the fine print... If I had it to do over I'd get the 3x9, as a 6.5 just barely gets out there. or I'd get a scope that was a true 2x7.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast