Thread: Anyone consider mounting a trailer jack to the swim platform

Default Anyone consider mounting a trailer jack to the swim platform

Compeau's in Fairbanks has done this in order to lift the boat so as to be able to install their "training wheels". I'm going to do much the same thing as soon as the XS is out of the snow. Have ordered a dual wheel jack with 1600 lb lift capacity. Figure a piece of all weather plywood under should do the task. Altho rather than training wheels I think I will get some of those inflatable boat bumpers.... Any thoughts?

I don't know what training wheels are.

AkRascal,

I have the Sportjon with the rear jack and "training wheels." I have found the wheels to be of limited use. However, that jack has saved my bacon several times. I carry about six 8' sections of black PVC pipe with me (~4" in diameter). MO to get unstuck is jack up boat, lay pipe crossways underneath it from bow to stern, lower boat, and push in desired direction. Once the boat is pushed off of pipe then repeat process until boat is back into deep enough water. I too use some old pieces of plywood under the foot of the jack. The procedure has worked very well for me.

where on the deck are you planning on mounting the jack?...There is not a whole lot holding the swim decks onto the XS's, at least not on my '06....I'd sure be hesitant to lift too much weight with my deck...I've done it with a handy man jack right up next to the transom but watching it flex didn't make me feel too good about what might happen next.....lol....I did notice that the later models are beefed up a little bit though...

Default That's a good point and the type of feedback

for which I was looking. I'll do some testing on that before I mount the jack. The last/first time I was stuck with the XS we lifted the heck on the swim deck both manually and with pry bars and I didn't see anything of concern, of course I wasn't really looking for anything either, I was more concentrated in getting the boat back into the water. Looking at my friend's SportJon, the deck on that, if anything looks less strong then that on the XS.

My new boat is being reinforced so it can be jacked up without damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    My new boat is being reinforced so it can be jacked up without damage.
    Now that's one heckofa swim platform!

here is a better pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images