Thread: Reloading for the mdl 95 in .405

Default Reloading for the mdl 95 in .405

I have a new production .405 that I am trying to find as much load data on as possible. I have am interested in anything that anyone has to offer for loading this up. I recently found a box of .411 Swift AFrame 350gr. at Cabelas in their sale bin. Hadn't even heard of that one before but picked them up just in case someone may know something I don't. Thanks for any info you guys can give me. I am really wanting to get this dialed in to whack a brownie and a moose this year.

Default Hey Murph and Byron...check these out, too.

I got a couple of .405WCF rifles, one is the Winchester 1895 and the other is a Ruger#1 Tropical SS. I've only started my loads out for this caliber but have proven to myself that the Benchmark 2015 powder was not the powder for my 1895...These other bits of info that I've found may interest you both, as they interest me, too:

"The .405 is the most powerful rimmed cartridge ever developed for a lever-action rifle. Winchester factory loaded 300-grain bullets that trucked down range at 2,200 feet-per-second (fps), developing an amazing 3,220 foot-pounds (FP) of muzzle energy. Handloads using 57 grains of IMR 3031 could coax 3,400 FP of energy with the 300-grainer." GunWeek.com/2003

My calculator says that they're seeing 2260fps to generate 3400ft/lbs. That's pretty cool.

Another article that I've read says,

(2) There is not perfect agreement on what pressure a Model 1895 will withstand as a standard working pressure. Mattern, quoted by Waters, says 46,000 psi; Keith (1936) says 47,000 psi, but also that a lower figure is needed for regular use if headspace difficulties are not to develop. These are important questions for those who might want to establish safe maximum loads, if they should ever work with original 1895's, as opposed to the new versions. Phil Sharpe's great handloading tome (1953; 3rd edition, 2nd revision) has much more .30-40 data than present sources - doubtless because there was more use of .30-40 rifles (primarily Krags) then. I am NOT at all recommending using outdated loading data, but I do note that the highest pressures given were at 43,000 psi. That would have been for Krags as well as Winchester Model 1895's, and the latter are generally thought a bit stronger. Winchester did proof tests on the .30-40 Model 1895 at 60,000 psi, but that was, of course, not a service load. The modern Miroku-made 1895's, both Brownings & Winchesters, do fine with current .30-06 & .270 factory loads, many of which probably well exceed 47,000 psi.

Byron, also consider the use of the 300grain Barnes X bullet for the .405. I have already started to load them up and they went together without a hitch. My initial loads were 50.0grains of H4895.
    If you were to look on the barnes website they now make a TSX bullet for the .411, too! That one should be awesome for your brownies if you want to shoot them a little further out (never a bad idea to have more distance between you and Mr. Brown...)

.405 Winchester 300-grainTSX Flat Base

I've also loaded up some 293grain cast bullets from ACE casting with the H4895, too. The company is MCA sports/ACE casting. Just google and you'll find his contact info. The bullets seem fine and are consistent in weight and uniformity.

Byron, are you sure that you didn't get some of the .416 diameter bullets from Cabela's? I couldn't find any a-frames that were even listed by the Swift company as .411...

Anyways, can't wait to see your data and I'd be happy to share my chrono info as soon as the weather begins to turn nice. Take care, guys, and happy hunting!

IceKing02

Default Swift bullet

I am fairly certain that they are .411 caliber. Marked clearly on two different places on the box. I have sized them up with a hornady 300 grain when in Cabelas and they seem to butt up perfectly with each other but I haven't put a caliper on them to double check. Am trying to get a hold of Swift to see if they have any information on this bullet also. Hoped it would be a good bullet but like Murphy has stated I didn't know for sure if I would get enough velocity to open it up like intended.

Default And I've always wondered...

whether or not a body could take a .416 A-frame and thin the jacket by 0.005 and shoot it at 2250fps--just for the very constraint mentioned by Murphy. I'm not worried so much about it opening at point blank ranges but at the 100-150yard ranges...that's a different bullet performance.

Later,

IceKing02

Default .405 Win.

You might want to call Barnes Bullets before you spring for the TSX. They have been pretty friendly about answering technical questions such as expansion at various velocities. If I beat you to it, I will post their reply. I, too, am looking at the Barnes bullets. The Hornadys have worked well on game according to folks I have talked with that have used them, and the price is reasonable (bullets, not the ammunition).

I want to experiment with seating the spitzer bullets out farther, as much as the magazine and good feeding will permit. With my .30-40, seating out a bit has improved accuracy with spitzers. Remember, the .30-40, like the .405, was developed around long, round-nosed bullets. The spitzers have to make a pretty extreme jump to touch the lands, and the closer we can get them, the better they seem to work. The Hornady spitzer probably optimizes the spitzer shape for the .405, having a rather long bullet shank and fairly sharp angle to the ogive, but we will see.

I have found the 180 gr. Hornady spire-point Interbond to be rather slow opening in my .30-40, but as far as I know, their round-nose and spire-point .411 is designed around .405 velocities, and should work well when sorted out through careful loading.
    Jack

Default I've moaned about it before, but...

I'm just not going to use Hornady interlocks as they spit the jacket off of a 350grain bullet in my .450 Marlin while putting it into a blacktail deer. Yes, I realize that this is not exactly the typical performance from a large bullet, BUT: I'm going to use either the Kodiak bonded bullet, Barnes or a cast bullet. I'm more interested in punching a hole straight through whatever I'm shooting at with these larger calibers...Heck, I was even wondering whether or not somebody had a cast mold that would drop 325-335grain bullets for this caliber...that could be fun!

Maybe we can get a .405 levergun day lined up! I've got a chronograph that I'd love to learn how to really use...and I know how to follow directions pretty good! You guys interested?

Default Swift information

I finally got in touch with Swift and found out that they do produce a .411 A-Frame. Not a typo on the box that I found. They make a 350 gr. as well as a 400 but they don't run them that often, around once every 18 months and then they call whoever special orders them. The CEO, Bill, told me that as long as we can keep velocity up around 1800 fps no problem with expansion. I was thinking that this should probably end up being close to max loads with this to get expansion at 100 yards but might be a really good backup load for close work in the bushes at 50 to 80 yards. Hope to get some loads worked up and see just what happens. Will post the results when I do.

Default Hot doggy, you're RIGHT!

Here it is!

http://www.customreloads.com/jacketrifle.html

It's just kinda pricy to keep pulling the trigger... I may pick up some of these little puppies for my Ruger #1, thanks for the info-mation.

IceKing02

Try contacting Swift directly and you'll probably save some coin on the cost. He does it direct from the factory if you just call their phone number and give him all your information.
    Here is their number
    785-754-3959

Default Hornady 7th Edition - 405 Winchester

I am looking for the 405 Winchester load info from the new Horandy 7th Edition book. Is anyone willing to copy it and share? I have the 6th edition and the only load data that I would gain by buying the new $30.00 book is one page for the 405.

I'd gladly pay you a few bucks if someone is interested....

Thanks!

Default Hornady 7th 405 pg

Maybe this will work OK..... No charge Some others may be interested.

My 1895 original preferred the FP bullets and a mid-level charge of 4895. Murphy has posted some good info on the 405.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 405 Winchester

Many, many thanks!! My 6th edition did not include the 405 Winc load data, although some people on this site advised theirs did......

I have been using 55gr of H4895 with the 300 Barns X bullet. This load is using by three hunting buddies of mine and we all shot this load out of our ruger#1's. We are taking our #1 405's to shoot brownies on Afognak Island this spring.

Default Hey all of you .405 shooters!

It was warm enough this weekend to pop off a couple of rounds from the #1 this weekend. Factory spire points were touching at 55yds. Factory flat nose put out a 4" group at 110yds with open sights and lots of backlighting (made sighting a little tougher).

Soo.....two questions:

How long are you #1 reloaders making your cartridges?

When are the 1895 Winchester shooters gonna get together for some chronograph work????

Its getting to that time of year and there ain't gonna be much time 'till we're supposed to point these weapons at something that might want to EAT us and I'm ready to get out and learn how to use my fancy chronograph...

I shot 20 handloads this past weekend using 34.5 grns of 2400 under the 300 Hornady spire point. Awesome performance in the Ruger #1. Printed .89 on 5 shots at least twice.....