Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaro or Zeiss binos?

Default Swaro or Zeiss binos?

any one have any opinions? Looking for something in the 8/10 x 40 range...recommendations?
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Default Swarovskis

This is a no-brainer!...Swarovskis EL 10x42

Suggestion: skip this years sheep hunt and buy the bino's....CK

Thumbs up

I wouldn't trade my Zeiss FL's for EL's.Both are excellent and dont forget Leica,Doug has some great prices right now. 24hourcampfire optics forum has a reveiw on 8x42 glass.

I personally prefer the old 10x40 Zeiss Classics if you can find a set. Seem to be clearer than the new victory models. Just my opinion. Cabelas did have them at a pretty good price, but I haven't checked lately.

I really like my swarovski 10X42. I was amazed when I got them and I could look into shaded areas under trees and in brush and see animals so clearly. Other binos I have had just don't compare when looking into shade, these brighten the shade and show contrast and individual hairs...unbelievable. well worth the money. I bet the zeiss are nice also. Probably better off getting which ever brand is on sale or you can get a deal on.

my opinion, Gary

Leica Ultravids 8x42!

Default Swarovski experience

I've had a pair of Swarovski SLC 8x30's for some 14 years now. On the plus side they have great optics and I can glass all day through them with no eye strain. On the down side I've had them fog up on a moose hunt about 10 years ago and then recently the focus knob broke on a snowmachining trip. Swarovski has a lifetime guarantee and the service center people were very friendly and helpful (the repairs were 100% free, even the insured shipping was covered). Nevertheless, I am now a bit hesitant to take these binos on a trip where it is critical that they dont have another "issue". I am now thinking of getting a pair of Leica Geovids once I get passed the mental block of spending $2000 on them!

Default Binos

I've had the opportunity to look through dozens (or more) of both Zeiss and Swarovski binos and to compare them side by side. I have sold them both. My opinion is that it varies on the individual pair that you are looking through. I would go to a dealer and look through several pairs of both in the same magnification and pick an individual pair. Both are of unbelievable quality. I have had to return one Swarovski rifle scope to the manufacturer for repair. I have never had to return a Zeiss product. My only other piece of advise would be to buy the 10's.

Default Zeiss

I looked at that same question last year. I researched on the birding forum and elsewhere. I ended up getting the 10x32 Zeiss w/Lotutec from Cameraland. Most opinions were that the glass is better on the Zeiss, but the Swaro had better focus "feeling", etc. You can get the "demo" Zeiss for quite a bit less than the Swaro, and I really don't think they have ever been "demoed". They are basically new in the box, and I think it's a way to get around the minimum price dictated by the manufactuers. They can only have so many "demo" models at a reduced price.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I am sold on Swarovski. I own a pair of the SLC's 10x42 and love them. If you can afford the EL's, don't even think about it, just do it.

Default Just the best deal at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I am sold on Swarovski. I own a pair of the SLC's 10x42 and love them. If you can afford the EL's, don't even think about it, just do it.
    I have the same exact binos. Last year we had Leupolds and some Nikon Monarchs in camp. Without a doubt the Swarovski was head and shoulders better. But in my view that is comparing apples to oranges. I think when it comes down to comparing apples to apples you'd have to be comparing zeiss, leica, and swarovski.

I love my swarovskis, however, I am by no means brand loyal. I think when it comes to comparing these 3 brands its more personal preference than one being a clear leader, or for me what is the best deal at the time I was looking to upgrade my optics.

Good call, Lanche.

I love my Leica Geovid 10X42's.
    Any of the big three are tough to beat--just look for the deal.

Default Leica Warranty

FullKurl,
    How long have you had your Geovids? Have they been trouble-free? I've been impressed by Leica's optics but I am a bit disappointed that Leica does not offer their normal lifetime warranty for the Geovid model. I think all they offer is three years on the electronics and five on the optics. I can understand the three year limit for the electronics but I cant understand why only five on the optics. I'm a little concerned the optics are somehow lower quality on the Geovids since the warranty is so much more limited.

Default Geovids ooze quality.

Redhed, I bought mine off Ebay from a NY camera shop, I donno if it was Doug or not, it's been awhile.
    They were new demos and I'm pretty sure they had a two year warranty as demos.
    I love em. I saved a grand on them and honestly, I don't worry about the warranty aspect. They seem as bulletproof as any of the quality gear I use. I've had zero problems and have never replaced the battery in three years.

I've always reasoned that less is more in the sheep pack and combining the ultra quality glass with 1300 yard rangefinding capabilities seemed like a no-brainer.
    They are pretty popular, but I'm surprised more sheep and goat hunters don't use them.

They've come down in retail price in recent years too.

Good luck!

Frank
    PS...pop up a thread asking geovid owners to opine on their glass. I'd bet the experiences are like mine, it would be interesting to see...

Default bino experience

Between my brother and I, we own SLC 10x42, Zeiss Conquest 10x40, Zeiss Classic 10x40, and Leica Geovids 10x42. All are great glasses, but after 1 year the Conquest have fogged up and are still at the factory for repair after 4-6 weeks. If not for the range finding ability on the Geovids, we would probably of stayed with the 10x40 Classic glass, crystal clear and seem to be more durable. I love the Geovids, but considerably heavier than the others.

I'm glad i got some feedback on the geovids through this post. I've got a pair of 8x42's govids that i'm debaiting on taking sheep hunting. Its either the geovids or my 10x25 swarovski's and leica range finder. The gevoids work that well i might just take them.

Default Swarovski

Swarovski 10x42

Leica range finder
    Marc Theiler

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Leica Ultravids 8x42!
    We have a pair of Leica Ultravids at work that our survey crew uses. Wow, are they nice. Compared side by side with my brother's pair of Zeiss Conquests, I can't tell much difference. Both are very nice and I'd love to own either. Haven't had a chance to compare them with Swaro binos yet.

Zeiss Victory are their top of line binos,not the Conquest line.

Default Swaro's all the way

Swaro SLC 10 x 42's- Hands down!
    I should have bought them years earlier
    Not only good glass but good coatings that help with glare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast