Thread: Winter Kings

Default Winter Kings

I took the boat to Homer yesterday. We went out by Seldovia. We landed 3 nice Kings and lost two others. One of the Kings was a White King. I've never had one and I'm looking forward to eating it.

Default Winter kings

I just dug out my last piece of white king from last year. Fresh white king has got to be my favorite eating fish. I can't stop thinking about the derby coming up, I really enjoy fishing for kings in Homer.Sounds like you had a pretty good day,wish I could have been ther also.

Default still good today

we missed two strikes and landed one...and got a halibitty.
    wish it were a derby fish!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

How did you guys get out of the harbor? That ice looks pretty thick, did you launch at the dirt ramp? Thanx for the report, always nice to here a good winter king report.

I bet it would have been a great day out there today!!!! My boat is small and open, but I was thinking about it!!!!! Lucky it is in a place where I can't get too it for a while. When we get weather like this I think that next year I will keep it accessable to run down! Luckily (for safety sake) I never do! But.......maybe next year!

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    How did you guys get out of the harbor? That ice looks pretty thick, did you launch at the dirt ramp? Thanx for the report, always nice to here a good winter king report.
    We used the dirt ramp, it was in good shape. The ice at the launch was thick, thick enough for me to stand on it.

Default White kings...

I caught my first in Kodiak last summer. I was amazed at the quality of the flesh and the flavor of it. I thought Ling Cod was the best, but after the White King I'm no longer sure which ranks first...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default markbevans

thanx for the fish and ramp report. Next nice day I'm going to try and get some fresh king. Thanx

Is that a john boat? How far out do you have to go for them?

Nice king, you looked a little bit cold there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking

that's a landing craft, 24' with a fully enclosed house. we were about 14 miles from homer.
    we call john boats "cook inlet coffins" <grin>

Thumbs up We didn't do so bad either!

We got our limit and then some. A couple 17-20 pounders, the others were 10-15 pound range, one white, one biggin that got off, and one monster that stripped our gear! Lost track of the number of knock-offs we had. Oh...and limited out on chickens too! Also brought home a few sea bass. We had an awesome weekend!

Both days were beautiful! The Good Lord was definitely on our side on Sunday
    Attached Images Attached Images

so you were fishing with gordan?

Default Sure was

The wagon was smokin! Didn't land anything as big as that fatty you brought in, but we had lots to shout about!

yep. we heard you<grin>
    Blue Two got 4 by noon today...and they lost gear to a salmon shark...you sure you were stripped by a salmon?
    you fishin' in the derby?

Default Thanks for the Photo's

Them's some nice Kings! makes my mouth water! and while the Halibut wouldn't feed a big crowd I've heard the big ones ain't the best for eatin. Trying not to get my expectations up too much. Hey I'll be in Homer and in between the music and dancing(and beer) I get a chance to catch a King or two. and maybe some "Halibitty"s. Not too often someone heads to Homer because of some band(Clinton Fearon and his Boogie Brown Band) and thus will fish! Not looking forward to the 12(14 someone told me) hour drive back to Fairbanks but if there's something in a cooler, that might just make the drive go by all the nicer.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Success! Red and White meat

Was in Homer Saturday and got out on the "Obsession" with Richard Baltzer. Got exactly what I wanted. Two Halibut(forewarned that they are on the small side this time of year) and a King!(plus some cod) Seemed a slow day for Kings but Richard heard from some other boats of a spot producing a few, so he headed over to that spot and were able to hit a two at the same time. After a few hours of no hits at all it sure wakes you up! Very nice trip and might tempt me down that way again.
    Paul Holland

Default good for you!

i was on the phone with richard while he was cleaning your fish...<grin>
    how was the show?

Good shows. Bigger crowd on Saturday. Took a little nap after the charter and missed the first set. Reeling in to check the bait is a bit of work after the first couple times. Going back to the B&B after the show some guy had slide onto a snow berm and was perched there with the rig aiming down the the water. I stayed at the Timber Bay B&B and it snowed a lot up there Friday and was blowing and drifting Sat night. Shoulda called them before choosing them as my calculations I had it figured out they were only a couple miles down the road from the Down East Saloon. More like 10 or so and outa the rain and into the snow. On Sat. night(Sun morning) didn't even try to drive up the B&B, just backed off the road a car length or two. In their driveway there were spots where the snow was drifted pretty well.
    Almost missed Coal Point for the processing. The gal was nice enough to stay a little late and get the Fish all cut up and vacuum packed. Was nice to have all that nicely packaged and done right quick.
    Overall a great trip. Got the grill warming up now!
    Paul Holland