12 48.00%
  • Saturday, May 10

5 20.00%
  • Saturday, May 17

4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Upper Kenai Trip DATES ONLY!

Default Upper Kenai Trip DATES ONLY!

Sounds like we have some interest in a spring trip on the upper Kenai River, so I thought we should poll everyone for dates that will work. Once we nail that down, we can start working on the rest of it.

As I see it, we have five choices; Saturday, April 12, Saturday, April 26, Saturday, May 3, or Saturday, May 10, or Saturday, May 17. The weekends of April 5 and 19 are the Anchorage and Fairbanks outdoor shows, which have some of us tied up.

You are allowed to vote for more than one date, so if you are available for several, vote for each.

This trip is available to ANYONE (yes, even you Fairbanks folks), regardless of experience level, or whether or not you have a boat! Everyone is welcome.

Sooo... please limit the comments in this thread to the DATE ONLY. We'll talk about the rest of it in the other thread.

Thanks!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-24-2008 at 13:40.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Easter is March 23rd this year.
    Hope this helps with the planning.

Dobber

Default Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by jsdobson View Post
    Easter is March 23rd this year.
    Hope this helps with the planning.

Dobber
    Dob,

Good catch! I was repeating something someone told me (or I thought I was...).

I made the correction on my post- Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default May 3 it is!

Okay folks,

Chris Stout has offered to help organize this thing, but he needs to go May 3. That was our second most popular date, so let's go with it.

Thanks for the offer, Chris!

Okay, now what's next?

-Mike

Default So far---

We have three rafts with a total availability of eight seats, not including cooler seats. I think that five peope per cat is easily doable. Mikes leapord sounds like a great place to put a family with kids. The super leapord needs an oarsman, and can take a crew two in seats, an oarsman and two on a cooler. Mikes smaller raft has two seats and needs an oarsman, but can haul four comfortably. I have an old bucket boat is a great demonstration of what to look out for when buying used, and it is a great example of rigging on the low budget, but is well tested and works great, I might even sacrifice a knife hole and a riverside repair patch on this one. I will be bringing two aire tomcat inflatable kayaks, and will let anyone who wants to try them have a go.

WHEN: Saturday-Sunday May 3rd to May 4th
    TIME: 10 a.m launch at the outlet of kenai lake (What is this called, now I feel dumb), anyway, there's a small parking lot just after the bridge.

SO FAR WE HAVE
    Equipment:
    2 catarafts - 9 available spots
    1 round self bailer - three available spots
    1 round bucket boat - three available spots
    2 IK's.
    7 spare life jackets (I think mike said he had four, and I have at least three, maybe more I'll have to look)
    Cooler space will be available in the boats, so bring your food in marked tupperware containers so lunch is easy.

PARTICIPANTS (so far)
    THREE

AVAILABLE:
    Three Oarsman positions,

12 Passengers (I'm sure everyone will want to try the sticks, and I'm sure there will be a chance, but I would like to see at least one experienced oarsman on each boat to coach and assist should we run into any issues)

Gear we need:
    Lifejackets, let me know how many you all have

Gear you need to bring:
    Warm clothes, river shoes, and rain gear. This time of year can be cold, I still usually wear a pair of old shoes or sandals, and keep a pair of warm boots and dry socks in a dry bag or box. Lunch. If going overnight sleeping gear and a tent. If the water is high enough the canyon might spash a little, but rain gear should suffice.

It would be advisable that people who want to learn tips and tricks for raft rigging show up at about 8 a.m. or so. I will probably be down there friday night. Also, if your not shy it would be a good idea to try and plan some car pooling so we don't have 10 cars there, and we could feasibly keep the gas price cheap if we all pitched in to our driver.

So, list how many bodies your bringing state if your there for the day or overnight, what your bringing if you have equipment, and I'll keep this list updated.

Default I'm in for the overnighter

Chris,

Count me in for the overnighter. Also I have an eight-horse outboard and one of the cats has a transom, so we can use that to get to the upper Skilak landing. We can just daisy-chain the boats together and go for it in the morning if the lake is flat.

-Mike

Might I suggest we start a new sticky and delete the old posts. Call it May 3rd-4th Kenai trip, all are invited. Maybe we should also post it in the kayak section. If you delete the old ones, make sure you copy my thread into the new post.
    Also, which one of us gets to try and force Harmon out of the raft shop for a riverside repair class?

Chris

P.S. If we post it in the kayaker section, the no beer policy will probaly fly right out the window.

Default I can do that

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    Might I suggest we start a new sticky and delete the old posts. Call it May 3rd-4th Kenai trip, all are invited. Maybe we should also post it in the kayak section. If you delete the old ones, make sure you copy my thread into the new post.
    Also, which one of us gets to try and force Harmon out of the raft shop for a riverside repair class?

Chris

P.S. If we post it in the kayaker section, the no beer policy will probaly fly right out the window.
    Hi Chris,

I'll take care of that once I return from Fairbanks (I'm doing a float hunting seminar for the guys at Wainwright on Saturday). Oh yeah, I already talked to Tracey today and he's game. Now he just has to get Mark to go for it! I told him to spin it to Mark so that prospective customers get to try out a few boats before deciding... let's see if it works!

We really need Tracey there, to fix your round boat.... er..... ahhh.... well, to do a repair seminar. Yeah, THAT'S it! THAT"S what I meant to say...

-Mike

Default I miss everything

First its the SCI, then the Sportsman show, then the seminars, and now this!!!! You guys are KILLING me!! Man I can't wait to get this move done. Our April exploritory should be nice. Hope everyone has a fun filled safe trip. I know it's not the intent like the canoe test, but if you could keep some of those things in mind when taking pictures, and if some people take notes on the rafts with as much different input it would be greatly appreciated by those of us who can't attend and are planning to buy boat. I saw a few stating that they would use this trip to help decide on what they are going to buy. Please take the time to share your experiences and let us know what you decide to purchase and your reasonings. Can wait to hear the out come, Have FUN.