Thread: super cub alternatives

Default super cub alternatives

I know only a cub will do what a cub will do. That being said, I'm looking for input on on some less expensive alternatives that still have decent STOL performance. I have been looking at 150 hp citabrias, stinson 108s and some older maules (m5 series). I have even looked at the zenair 701 but it seems a bit unproven at this point. I've heard some bad things about citabrias and I'm looking for some experienced input on any of these planes.

Default Maule

I like the Maules. Cruises pretty fast and stalls pretty slow. That and you can haul more people and on some models you have a nice sized baggage door. I would go with the 235 hp or the 260 hp model.

Just my 2 cents worth
    AK

Citabias are good planes.

Champs and T-Crafts with larger engines and tires, do just fine if flown within their limitations.

Aeronca Sedans with 180hp or better are a good short field plane. But hard to find and pricey.

I used to have a little cessna 150 with a 160 horse in her. Since she was over TBO I paid $20K. She would get off the ground in 400 feet with two guys and full fuel. They make an OK little low budget float plane with a big engine.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I had the same problem a year ago, and I looked at all the options you listed. I even have a 701 rudder in the garage.

I feel I got lucky and stumbled on a 1977 Arctic Tern S1B2 for a good price at my local airport. It will do more than I am capable of or will be capable of any time soon, and from what Im told. Close to what a cub will do in more capable hands.

Default Burning holes in the sky!

There's an M4 in the Daily News today for 40K. My buddy flies an M4 with 145HP and it does well. 170's are no cub but are more abundant (cheaper) and a good airplane. Champs and T-Craft are often more economical than most of the alternatives and can fit the bill. The right sedan can be a good thing. I wish I had a 206... i've seen them do some amazing things!

Everything is a compromise!

The only thing i've ever flown is a PA-12 and it works for what I do. So always consider the source of the information.

Figure out what you want to do with the airplane. Then decide which aircraft will do what you want to do. Then decide which types you can afford. Then plan on spending a couple of years looking until you find the right one for you. Also find a buddy to drag to the airport to look at every "possibilty" you come across before paying a mechanic.

It's a huge learning curve so have fun shopping,

JB

Like jrb said. It all depends on what you want to do. It also depends largely on how much money you want to spend. But whatever you buy, figure on spending more than the upfront price tag. There is always gas, maintenance, and heaven forbid an "accident".

As I learned with my first airplane (a J5 converted to a PA-12) ,
    a beat up old plane on its last legs, that is not as good as a hot supercub, is still better flying than all the really cool planes I could not afford to fly at all.

Look for a good 100hp J5...My first plane was a 5, and it was easy on gas, and went nearly everywhere ...I could land it short...200ft...and get out comfortably in 400...Just not a good high altitude plane...
    Ron

I had a 0-290 D2 in my old J-5. It worked out fairly well and was not a gas hog. Although it was kinda doggy over 5,000 ft with the flat prop.

I have a 1960 Champ that I bought for 30K. I love this airplane and the only limitation that I think she has is no flaps. However this plane will do more than most starting pilots are ready to do.

Define your budget, then your needs (tandem vs side by side, payload, metal or fabric) and then start shopping.

Good luck
    Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow, now that is what I think I am looking for! how much horsepower does it have?

Mine has an O320/150. There are a few champs out there (Pre 1960) that have the O320 AND Flaps. Champs, Scouts, Citabra’s, Pacers, 170’s are all good starters and will likely perform beyond what most pilots are willing to try. I am not suggesting that you go out and try things that you are not comfortable with but I do think that your operating envelope will expand as your proficiency in your airplane increases. What ever you get fly every chance you can – you will get more performance out of learning what your airplane feels like in various regimes than you will from VG’s and STOL kits. Also if you can get a portable fuel tank and buy Avgas at a local distributor instead of the airfield you will save a tone of cash too. Just my $0.02
    Drew