Thread: Visiting for 2 months in June

Default Visiting for 2 months in June

Hi all,

I will be visiting Anchorage from June until august. My girlfriend and I have never Kayaked but would like to try in Alaska. Is there some sort of guided tour, or anything similar where we can rent Kayaks?

Actually, I would also like to fish off the kayak. I see pictures of that very often in magazines and im always jealous.. just kidding, but I would like to try.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Im editing here; I would like to be in the salt for the fishing and for the viewing. I love lakes and streams and rivers and all, but I really would like to be in the salt if possible.

Alaska Raft and Kayak would be your best contact to get things going for you.

www.alaskaraftandkayak.com

George

Default REI

If your renting a car, go to REI and rent your kayaks, it would be best to make reservations prior to coming up, june 22-july 10th seem to be about the best weather, but you might call me a liar because it that is obviously unpredictable. This is the cheapest option, but also doesn't offer a guide. Also there are guided tours and rentals at just about every port on the road system. I would suggest whittier, seward, valdez, or homer to be your best options. Since you will be here for so long, I assume your coming up here to work, so p.m. me when you get here and we can go have a few beers, might be able to plan a trip.

Chris

Default www.truenorthkayak.com

Here is one for you. My wife and I decided we want to give sea kayaking a try. I found a used tandem but had never been in one before. So we thought we would hire a guide for our first trip out for a lesson/trip. We decided on True North with Alison. Luckily it was early in the season and we got her, the owner, to take us out. Let me tell you it was AWESOME. She was patient and extremely knowlegable is all aspects, from location to sealife. We are now hooked!!!!

www.truenorthkayak.com

Seward/Resurrection Bay/KFNP a great place to go.
    Lots of guides/tours/classes by lots of different operators.
    Dramatic scenery, to say the least.

You'll hear enough about it when you get here.

Thanks guys. I think Im going to do a guided fishing kayak...day out of Seward. Im just trying to find a place to stay and when I do, Ill get to catch fish off of a Kayak!! WHOOHOOO!!!

For not ever being in a kayak I hope you can endure the 40-50 degree water. Just remember try not to inhale when the shock of the cold water hits you...........
    Have fun and becareful. There are salmon sharks out there..... remeber the "Old Man and the Sea"??? or was it The Old Man IN The Sea"???? LOL

Now that I think of it, there is no reason I cannot take a course before I head to alaska. I could just do one here in California. Id rather fall into the water in california than the water in Alaska.

There are no salmon shark here...

Only great whites.

I have heard a lot of recommendations on the true north kayak too. Even If I had more practice in sea kayaking I'd go with a guide as the area is new to me and in order to have a full tour I think it is wise to take a guide at least once.
    here is another post that recommends the same place
    http://www.mykayakingbuddies.com/kay...alaska-22.html

Default Kayaking Alaska

Protected bays and fjords are perfect for those that want to experience Alaska Sea Kayaking and do it with alot less risk.
    My wife does not like to be in uncomfortable situations, but she enjoys Sea Kayaking, I take her to places like Halibut Cove in Kachemak Bay.
    You can take a shuttle from Homer over to the Cove and then just jump in your Kayaks and take off. Even if the wind picks up a little, it is a very nice place to paddle. There are several coves along the Kachemak bay area that are great for getting your feet wet in paddling Alaska.
    Camping is fantastic, and you can even rent cabins from private, or forest service if you like.
    The same goes for the Seward area. Lots of places you can paddle that are not open ocean, and fairly protected.
    Just take your time in getting comfortable with the sport.
    Practice deep water rescue, and learn a few techniques in the quiet places. When you feel a little more comfortable, you can venture a little.
    I am amazed that some folks just don't think about all the possibilities.
    Meaning,,, dumping your kayak out in open ocean and not knowing techniques for getting your kayak dumped out and getting back init.
    not wearing the right clothes, staying out when your getting cold.
    The list goes on..
    When I go out into areas I have not been to before, I am always looking at the shore lines, checking the current, knowing what the tide are and what they are doing. Looking to see where a good place to haul out is, and where it is not a good haul out. Lots of places have cliffs that drop straight into the ocean. these places are very dangerous to even get near, as the current and waves can be unpredictable, and are not suitable for a haulout.
    look at the shoreline in maps so you can determine the distances you may need to go for the next decent haulout. on your maps you can find and see coves and safe places to go in the event of a flip or winds that come up quick. also think about using lee sides of islands and rocks to find refuge if needed.
    planning is so very important, along with taking along good detailed maps of the area you will be paddling.
    take along even on short day trips, survival gear, use water tight bags even though you may think your bulkheads are watertight.
    hypothermia is your biggest threat, and knowing when to get out and warm up is paramount to your enjoyment and survival on ocean kayak trips here in Alaska
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Its true. I've met some people who just did not think of the possibilities of what could happen. "Well, if the kayak floats, Ill just get back on..."Yeah right!!

Im not kayaking ANYWHERE in alaska without a guide next to me, behind me, or in front of me where he could hear the splash if I fell in. Im going to take the course on safety but still, why not just go with the guide for first few times? I think its more enjoyable that way anyways. I dont know where to go, Im sure he/she does.

Thumbs up knowing limits

That is what keeps people alive.
    knowing your limits.
    Most of Alaska boating accidents and deaths have very similar ingredient missing on the victim... " A life Jacket".
    Most victims are adult Males.
    No life jacket, and no risk assessment of what can happen if they push the envelope.
    I like the way you think Soda.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com