Thread: Casting rod fishing off Kodiak???

Talking Casting rod fishing off Kodiak???

I am planning a trip to kodiak in Aug. this summer and was wondering if any has tried useing a big 10' beach casting rod?? I was hopeing to find a beach to camp on for a couple of nights. I plan on taking my 4x4 atv and hiiting the streams during the day but figure sitting on the beach at night and trying to cast for Halibut. Anyways any info would be great and I plan on trying it anyway so mabey I will be able to share some info after my trip. Man I cant wait for summer.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

There was an article in the paper last summer about halibut fishing from shore. In late August the halibut move up in the bays to take advantage of the dead pinks. If I remember right he said to take advantage of the low tide to get your bait out as far as you can then wait for the incoming tide. I haven't seen anyone doing it, but Hank, the outdoor writer for the paper, said he's been successful at it.
    As for the atv and the salmon streams. All the roadsystem streams are closed to fishing upstream from the first bridge. The closure runs from Aug 1 to Sept 15. You can use it to run over to Saltery Creek though. Good Luck

I have no trouble with that at all. I have seen halibut in the mouths of creeks just gorging themselves on pinks and reds. When I first saw it, I thought I was losing it for a second. If you get into a situations like this, it is some of the best shallow water fishing you can get.

Holy Cow!! This sounds really awesome.
    Have fun my man! Hope you get a huge one in shallow water.

I have never seen a really big one in shallow water near creeks feeding on salmon. They are all chicken sized. But, when there are little butts, there has to be big ones in the area too. At least, it would seem that sure should be.

Default Thanks guys

I cant wait to hit Kodaik. As far as fishing on the streams below the bridge, Can you fish these streams for rainbows and dollies above the bridge. Also I see that Black tail deer season opens aug. 1st. Buck only it looks like. But it does say in other areas any deer??? What a trip that would be silvers, rainbows, dollies , Butts, and a deer. I may end up enjoying it to much, My wife will have to understand why I dont come back for a week Right !!! Thanks again for the info guys, and I will bring my camera OH and I plan on taking my 8 year old daughter. Who I might add almost out fishes me every trip. I just had her kenai lake/quarts creek rainbow mounted for her. She released the fish after some picts and meassurements.
    The piture looks bad for the fish but he swam away and in a hurry. I couldnt get her to hold next to the water.
    IS IT AUGUST YET ??????????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

That is a very nice fish.

Default River fishing on road system

The rivers along the road system are open to trout fishing above the bridges during August. One of my favorite times, as most are downstream trying for salmon.
    As for your surf casting rig, sounds like fun. The mouths of most streams, as mentioned above should provide lots of opportunities. A few beaches to check out would be: Kalsin Bay near the mouth of the Olds R.; Mayflower Beach; the mouth of Mrytle Crk.; the beach at the mouth of Roslyn Crk ( also a popular camping spot) ; mouth of the Pasagshak R (there's a state campground there). Since you'll be bringing along an ATV, Saltery Cove area makes a nice trip also.
    Good luck, hope it's a fun trip for ya.

I saw a picture of a guy who landed a 40 lb halibut casting a Vibrax spinner from the beach at the mouth of the Karluk river in late August. He was primarily fishing for Silvers.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 05-20-2008 at 11:53. Reason: spelling