Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat project results (pics!!)

Default Duracoat project results (pics!!)

Well Im pretty happy with the outcome. The finish seems very tough and was pretty easy to apply. Its really making my happy so far. I did screw up and handle it too much before it was completley ready. And some lint fell onto it in places. Ill have to recoat it again cause im picky. Im gonna do the grip screws in brown too.

Okay, pistol that was described by seller as "its got some holster wear" Not picking on you dude, but its got ALOT! LOL

And now after duracoat

Big thanks to Daninalaska for letting me use his tools, and stink up his garage!

Looks great! You did a d--n fine job!

Ill add too that I had to scrape off the paint at the rails and wear points. Next time I will mask off all the contact areas. The stuff is pretty thick and non lubricating so that is a little tip I can pass along for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Big thanks to Daninalaska for letting me use his tools, and stink up his garage!
    What's a few paint fumes, among friends?

Looks good, Matt!

Looks like I might have a replacement for the high heat Krylon on my 30-06 Will this stuff work with the heat a rifle barrel produces at the range?

Did you get the coating locally? I have a couple old marlin rimfire rifles that could use a dress up.

according to the manafuctuer it will withstand the heat. Just google duracoat, then click on lauercustom or something like that, they have a FAQ

Lujon- I just ordered this stuff over the net. Sporties has some matte black, they sell it in a kit for 125.00. I ordered 4 colors, a bottle of reducer, durafill and glow paint for around 150.00 delivered.

Nice job, looks good. If you're shooting enough to melt paint you need to take a few deep breaths and slow down. Just kidding looks real good.

Nice job, looks good.

Rimfire:

So you spray the duracoat on? Do you need a special paint sprayer? Would this duracoat work on a walnut stock?

Has anyone ever used rhino lining-like paint to spray a stock and barrel?

Tim

Yeah you spray it on with a airbrush.
    Duracoat will work on wood.

Ive seen the bed liner sprayed on guns. It looks like hell. And it chips off of wood pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Rimfire:

Tim
    That stuff is HEAVY! I can't imagine it would do anything good for your barrels ability to transfer heat and could likely affect your balistics.

Tim
    I'm curious why you would want to do this? Am I missing something...?

hunt_ak: I've got a stock that needs to be refinished and I thouht it may work better than Krylon paint. Obviously it may not be desireable to use so I'll be looking into the duracoat.

Tim

hunt_ak: I've got a stock that needs to be refinished and I thouht it may work better than Krylon paint. Obviously it may not be desireable to use so I'll be looking into the duracoat.

Tim
    Right on, man. Is it a wooden stock? If so, let us know how well the duracoat adheres to it (I know it said abouve its supposed to). Post some pics when you are done also!

Rimfirematt: So you did all the parts with a light coat of black and the frame the desert color, right? What kind of prep work was needed before you shot it with the first coat (I'm assuming it took more than one). Did you have any problems with it running, etc.?

Default Elastisity

Tim
    Duracoat is somewhat elastic and as such works well on stocks. It requires a light sanding to give the coating something to grab onto. It seems to wear well and is weatherproof.
    Caution: It's real hard to get off, being a type of catalized epoxy.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I just complety stipped apart the pistol, Used a fine wire wheel on the dremmel and went over everything. Pretty much all that did was nock off the loose factory finish and probably lightly roughed it up.

I then took everything and washed in acetone.

Mixed up the paint and hardner and airbrushed it on. The airbrush made a nice puffy cloud. Running was not an issue as long as you didnt overdo it. The stuff dries really quick. It went from shiny to the matte in 5 minutes. Dry to the touch in a 1/2 hour. I only put on 2 coats, but think I will add another.

Its a pretty fumey product. Itll stink up your house. That is the only negative that I experienced with its use. But I wouldnt think a non smelly adhesive would be worth a darn, so Ill live with it.

Sorry to dig this up, but I'm likely going to be trying this soon and had a few questions....

Did you buy the kit from LCW or did you get it elsewhere?

Also, what kind of airbrush did you use? I am looking into getting a brush for duracoating, among other things. I know they have a demo CD when you get the kit. Was that helpful?

Lastly, how is she holding up. From what I gather, the stuff continues to cure and gets harder with time. Has this been the case and did you shoot it with a third coat?

Default OK

The DVD is somewhat helpful as to how to apply a coat with a desired finish. The texture can be changed to your desired look. The air brush that comes with the kit is not very high quality and I had lots of problems getting a smooth continous coat with it. I purchased a PASCHE as a substitute; PROBLEM SOLVED. The PASCHE entry level airbrush is not expensive and can be used with the accessories for the kit that comes with the DURACOAT KIT. The cans of propellant while usable are a pain. IF you decide to use canned propellant, don't be suprised if you don't need an extra can or two. I choose to use a small air compressor instead.
    I used the HK black( semi-gloss) finish on my 98 mauser; put on one coat smooth and then went back with a little more of a matt top coat.
    I rolled up a piece of paper and slid it tightly into the bolt location, preventing the finish from spraying in the rails. I placed a cleaning rod in the barrel and suspended it from a pair of V notched boards; making an axle for the barreled action to rotate on while it was being finished and drying. The cleaning rod should be covered with tape where it's not in the barreled action to prevent DURACOAT from building up on its surface. I didn't spray any of the bolt or handle.
    My rifle is as good looking today as it was the day it was refinished, the fact it's waterproof is a big plus in the field.
    In fact I have plans to do another rifle in the same finish, it gets easier after 2 or 3 .
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Interesting I think that I will do my 2 old marlin .22's to practice then my wifes ruger compact. The big question is should I do the 7mm or the model 94 30-30 my dad gave me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast