Thread: Darwin almost strikes again

Default Darwin almost strikes again

The following is a link to an article in Friday's ADN that I though you all might find interesting:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/322598.html

Apparently a drunk woman found a discarded handgun over by Delong lake on Friday. In her infinite wisdom, she pulled the trigger a "few times" and nothing happened, so she decided to point it at her head and pull the trigger. It fired. A friend drove her to the ER where she still had the gun, and an employee felt threatened and called the police. Now she has a hole in head and is charged with felony assult and drunken possession.

First, I've always felt that firearm safety education should be taught in the high schools along with drivers education and other "life skills". I doubt that it would have helped in this case, but it couldn't hurt.

Second, the article doesn't say what she did at the hospital to warrant the assult charge. APD just stated that "All it takes is someone to be placed in fear of imminent physical danger."

I suppose just being drunk with a handgun and showing such a lack of handgun knowledge to shoot yourself in the head may be sufficient for the employees to feel like they were in "imminent danger".

Another inch lower....., or maybe the angle was wrong. "Found the gun" Huh! I guess lots of folks leave their guns laying around in the snow!

Is there a "possesion of stolen property" charge in her future?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    The following is a link to an article in Friday's ADN that I though you all might find interesting:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_al...ry/322598.html

Apparently a drunk woman found a discarded handgun over by Delong lake on Friday. In her infinite wisdom, she pulled the trigger a "few times" and nothing happened, so she decided to point it at her head and pull the trigger. It fired. A friend drove her to the ER where she still had the gun, and an employee felt threatened and called the police. Now she has a hole in head and is charged with felony assult and drunken possession.

First, I've always felt that firearm safety education should be taught in the high schools along with drivers education and other "life skills". I doubt that it would have helped in this case, but it couldn't hurt.

Second, the article doesn't say what she did at the hospital to warrant the assult charge. APD just stated that "All it takes is someone to be placed in fear of imminent physical danger."

I suppose just being drunk with a handgun and showing such a lack of handgun knowledge to shoot yourself in the head may be sufficient for the employees to feel like they were in "imminent danger".
    I may be wrong but isn't taking a firearm in a Hospital a chargable offense, that could be construed as ASSULT.
    WE almost lost another rocket scientist from the gene pool, must have been a firearm malfunction. All sportsmen should write the manufacturer of the firearm and ammunition: about such poor performance.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Some peoples kids...

Default The

The gene pool has a shallow end and a deep end.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Mark

....Now she has a hole in head and is charged with felony assult and drunken possession........
    A hole in the head isn't much of a problem for folks who don't have any brains.

I know. I've had a hole shot in my head............

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

They don't call me "Rockhead Smith" for nuthin.

How about that "Lady", who put a loaded rifle in her check-in luggage, and it went off in the airplane? That was on the news a while back.

THEN, the uhh, "Wife" who accidentally shot her husband 4 times with a bolt action rifle.

"There are strange things done under the midnight sun".

BUT, these Russian Roulette stories are so common, that it maketh me to wonder if they’re all true.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

And, Mark:

I would dearly love to hear the story about the "hole shot in" your haid.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

... I've always felt that firearm safety education should be taught in the high schools along with drivers education and other "life skills"...
    I wouldn't wait that long. We need to start at elementary school level. It should be taught right along with such topics as fire safety and crossing the street.

Just don't let the DEA do the demonstrations.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Education doesn't help much when someone is stone drunk. And to be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, all you have to do is have the gun in your hand when you walk in. Her friend must've been as drunk as her to even get that far with the whole thing ...you'd think the gun would've been put down as step #1, eh? There's no accounting for stupid, especially stupid plus drunk...

...I wish I found guns laying around while going for a walk.

Brian

This doesn't make sence, a drunk woman that's been shot in the head, taken to a hospital by a friend - not under her own power... and they charge her a felony??? I'd hate to try to prosecute that one. Who's to say that she was even conscious, much less cognizant? I'm all for cleaning out the gene pool and she definitely deserves a vote from me but I think the charges are bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    This doesn't make sence, a drunk woman that's been shot in the head, taken to a hospital by a friend - not under her own power... and they charge her a felony??? I'd hate to try to prosecute that one. Who's to say that she was even conscious, much less cognizant? I'm all for cleaning out the gene pool and she definitely deserves a vote from me but I think the charges are bogus.
    There are lots of bogus things going on in this country that would've been unheard of 30 or 40 years ago ...like stealing guns from old ladies in New Orleans, or because some guy told a counselor that he was depressed (no history of depression or mental illness or threatening behavior) the cops are sent to his house and they break in with no warrant and confiscate all his guns and ammo. Or how Bush signed into law the right for the federal government to execute regional marshal law in the event of Acts of God such as large storms and what not. Or how eminent domain now has supreme court rulings that allow your land to be taken away if somebody else's idea of what to do with it will result in more taxes paid to the government. I could go on and on ...we live in the Age of Nonsense nowadays and it really got rolling in the early '90s (post-Reagan). Law is becoming a joke, personal rights are disappearing, and national sovereignty is becoming a thing of the past ...and we'll soon have another New Deal type of president once again raising taxes in a time of serious recession ...I wonder how long the depression will last this time? Forgive my cynicism and slip into political blah blah blah ...the changes that this country needs aren't even on the various politician's lists and that's frustrating.

Brian

It could be a failed suicide attempt on the woman's part. My guess is that lots of people that "accidently" shoot themselves while cleaning guns are actually attempting suicide. Who knows for sure what really happened? Perhaps the woman herself or her "friend can't even remember.

As that sage and speaker of truth Ron White said: "You can't fix stupid!"
    Bruce D Reinert
    LTC, (Ret) 150 FW, NMANG, (The Tacos!)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    And, Mark:

I would dearly love to hear the story about the "hole shot in" your haid.
    000 buckshot. .36 caliber, 68 grain (the retrieved ball measured and weighed by me) from about 125 yards.

One round hit me in the left chest. Fortunately, I was wearing a .22 Ruger Mark II 22/45 in a bandolier holster. It stopped the round.

One round went through my rifle scabbard. No rifle was in it. It went clean through.

One hit me just to the outside of my right eye socket. Instead of entering the eye socket and into the small, inefficient brain, it travelled under the skin and came to rest against my temporal artery and ear cartilage. It broke the safety glasses right off my face, and the safety glass may have helped slow it down.

I was blind in that eye for a couple days, and over the course of the following year my sight returned to better than 20/20. A couple of years later even the "light flashes" went away.

A friend shooting at flying ptarmigan had reloaded his shotgun with the 000 buckshot that he had in his pocket (in case we came upon a wolf).

It was near Maclaren Lodge in March 2001. We got to the lodge in just a few minutes, the Echols (great folks) radio-phoned the troopers who sent the LifeQuest chopper out of Providence (which had been on two fatality runs that weekend already; an avalanche victim near Eureka and a snowmobile-over-the-cliff accident,and unfortunately was just lost this past winter in Prince William Sound).

The investigating Trooper was quoted in the newspaper that "Mark is a very lucky man".

No hard feelings toward my partner. "Stuff" happens, and through the Grace of God, all worked out without a hitch.

Ultimately, the incident proved to all (including me) just how hard my head really is.........

Mark , I would say you were pretty well centered with that OOO pattern and quite close to the shooter. I would find it hard to refer to him as friend. I would wonder if he was related to our vice prez anyhow. May you always have better luck when hunting from now on.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Mark , I would say you were pretty well centered with that OOO pattern and quite close to the shooter....
    I'm pretty sure the range was over 100 yds. Maybe not much more than that.

....I would find it hard to refer to him as friend....
    I don't. It was an accident, and he's nearly family. And I'm known as an extremely loyal friend, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Let me just say I'd rather be the shootee under such circumstances than the shooter. He was more shook up than I was, and if I were him I would have been, too.

.....I would wonder if he was related to our vice prez anyhow.....

....May you always have better luck when hunting from now on.
    Thank you for those kind words.

Again, it's funny about where I got hit. The trooper was right; I was a very lucky man to survive. An inch more to the right and I'd likely be dead.

But had I been a little luckier, an inch more to the left and it would have missed me altogether...........

Default Whew.

Mark:

Thanks for the story. It serves to remind us that “stuff” happens, as you put it.

“Stuff” can happen to anybody, even to those who are safety conscious. All it takes is one mistake, or one inattentive moment, and a disaster can occur.

I’m glad you have a hard head, or for whatever the reason you’re still with us.

“Thank the Lord” for “Divine Intervention” “Providence”, or however, He did it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.