Thread: 08 Caribou

Default 08 Caribou

Four of us are planning on a drop camp Caribou hunt this fall. We were thinking of flying out of Dillingham and we're looking for information on a good air service that might have a history of knowing where the animals would be located. We're thinking of Unit 17 B or 18. This is our first trip and need any information we can get. Thanks in advance.

Default Gettin to Crunch Time...

Hey cattail,

It's gettin' down to the wire, some services might be booked during the times you want to hunt, I'd get moving on it as soon as possible.

As for Dillingham air taxis, it's been a few years since I flew out of there, and a few of the operators have changed. There was a thread on this several weeks back, search the archives here and you should find it, I think it had the current Dillingham air taxis mentioned.

If you can't find one out of Dillingham - they may be booked during the times you want to hunt - you can also try staging out of Iliamna with Iliamna Air Guides, Holliday Air, or Iliamna Air Taxi.

You could also try Aniak, but I haven't flown out of there so don't know who might provide air taxi service.

Good luck, and best get moving on finding your air taxi!

Thanks. I understand it's getting late, but we thought we try and see what we can work out. One guy will be in Alaska in July fishing already so we thought we'd see if we could pull something together.

Default Check Hunting Regs...

If you're planning on an early August hunt be sure to check the regs to see when those units open up for non-residents.

In addition, meat care will require advance thought on an early August hunt, it can get pretty warm at that time or have quite a bit of rain. Lots of good threads on this forum concerning meat care!

If you plan on overnighting in Dillingham before flying out to your hunt location, you may also want to get that moving, as there may be some non-res fishermen around in the early August timeframe.

OK, I'll shut up now. Good luck!

1. Determine time of year. In August the horns are usually still in velvet. As a general rule, the first week in Sept the bulls are starting to shed velvet and the cows will still have it.
    2. Determine your budget. To hunt 17B and 19, you can fly from Anchoraqe, Illiamna, Bethel and Dillingham among other choices. As previously stated, options are getting slimmer. You can PM me if you wish.

Default resident or non resident/meat or trophy

check the regs,non res hunting is only open from sept 1 to the 15th,if one is looking for a trophy might be wise to look else where.lots of old threads on this herd.