Thread: installing downriggers

Default installing downriggers

whats the best way to wire in your Scotty electric downriggers, I just wired them direct to my deep cycle battery with a fuse between the battery and downrigger and have left my other battery as my starting battery.Don,t know if this is right or wrong but it,s the way i did it , everything seems to work fine but would like to hear from somebody in the know.

Thumbs up a Few pointers...

Quote Originally Posted by staying alive View Post
    whats the best way to wire in your Scotty electric downriggers, I just wired them direct to my deep cycle battery with a fuse between the battery and downrigger and have left my other battery as my starting battery.Don,t know if this is right or wrong but it,s the way i did it , everything seems to work fine but would like to hear from somebody in the know.
    I have done this a few times before. The thing is to make sure of the following:

1. That the amperage draw of the downrigger does not exceed the capacity for the breaker
    Look at getting a Blue Seas systems 20 or 30 amp circut breaker - not a fuse.

2. That the breaker is near the 12V bank.
    3. Never leave the downrigger circut energized when you are not using them or the plugs will corrode....FAST!
    4. Use Dielectic grease on both the male and female ends of the plugs.

What he said. Keep your cables short and large.