Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3X62 Mauser?????

Default 9.3X62 Mauser?????

I have read about this round and have started to get the "Itch". I have found a CZ 550 American chambered in this caliber and really like the rifle's feel. I have only been able to find brass from two companys and they are a little pricy. What can I expect from such a rifle and how close is this caliber as an all around shooter? I have heard that it has been used with sucess in Africa on every thing but the biggest beast. Would it be to much for black deer and would it be enough for the big nastys up north?

Thanks in advance on what you come up with.
    Train today to succeed tomarrow

US Army Miltary Police

Watch your speed ( Chronographs work great! )

It is an excellent choice for big game hunting. I have been using graf brass and 286gr partition at just over 2400fps. I took a moose two years ago at 280 yards with it. Worked like a charm. They are easy to reload for and pleasant to shoot.

Norma makes loaded ammo and its good stuff. I rarely shoot factory ammo in my rifles but when I do its Norma.

I have been really thinking about the cz american too. But with NIB ruger mark II 350 rem mags going for $399 on gunbroker I might have to rethink my options.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Try it, you will love it!! I get all my supplies from Graf & Sons. It offers performance much better than the ballistics suggest. I can not tell the difference between the 9.3 and 375 on game. It also does not kill you with recoil. A 286 grain at 2400+ works wonders! Yes it is adequate for the biggies up north.

have one being finished up right now. have it housed in a VZ24, surfaced ground/polished, 2 pos. safety(like the Winch.), L-W 23.5"bbl, Timney Trigger-3 # pull, NECG front and rear and Parkerized. Had the metals worked over by Jim Kobe and now Ken Corcoran will finish it up. Not the cheapest way to go but I do like a Mauser. Have been inspired by the CZ American that I hefted some yrs. back over at Down Under but it was without sights and just too light for me.

It has been claimed by many that it is 150ft per less than the .375HH and does not give up a thing for one being in a standard action and less powder hence less recoil. Bullet selection is excellent but as noted brass is not cheap. I am kind of done with the heavy recoilers and suspect this to be pretty keen and handy with what I shoot-Moose and grizz.

Anyways I believe you're choice is very good an too it will be a keeper and a companion for yrs. to come. I would opt for a in-close type variable that will hold up down the road.

best regards,

edit: about your deer, no such thing as overkill it has also been claimed as a "meat gun" and bloodshot is to a minimum

I decided that I'm going to have one of my Mauser actions built into a 9.3x62 Mauser..........or as one of my buds calls it..........a .36 Whelen H&H Lite.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I decided that I'm going to have one of my Mauser actions built into a 9.3x62 Mauser..........or as one of my buds calls it..........a .36 Whelen H&H Lite.
    .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, .338-06, .338 Sabi: all can be excellent big game cartridges, specially when loaded with the heavier bullets available for each caliber.

Default 9.3x62 a real winner....

The 9.3x62 Mauser has been with us for a century and has been used world wide with very good results. It is in the same category as the 35 Whelen, 350 Rem mag, and some say nearly the equal of the 375 in some applications. I know it is allowed on dangerous game in those countries in Africa that require minimum calibers.

The 286 grain bullet has the same sectional density as the 300 grain in the 375, and penetrates accordingly. The 286 is made in Partition, A-frame, X/TSX, Woodleigh, Norma, Lapua and others. Speer makes a 270 grain and most of the above also make a 250 grain for it. Norma also makes a 232 grain Vulcan bullet for it which is a great deer/caribou/antelope bullet.

Lapua is the best brass and it can be found at good prices. This brass last for many loadings. RCBS and Redding and others make dies for it. It is easy to load and a very shootable caliber in a portable rifle. It has more powder capacity than the '06 case and will exceed 35/375 Whelen performance with similar bullets. I have taken a number of animals with it and it has never failed me. Bullets should be selected more appropriately constructed for it's velocity. The partition and woodleighs seem very well matched to it as do the Norma "Alaskan" and Lapua "Mega" 286 grain bullets. Try it you'll like it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have been shooting a 9.3x62 for about a year now and it is quickly become one of my go to favorites.

It is one of the least particular rounds I have ever loaded for accuracy wise it does not care about bullet weight every bullet I have loaded from 232gr through 286gr have shot 5/8 inch groups or better usually better started with N135 powder shot great switched to varget shot even better I used 232 norma bullets on deer last year with awsome results 250 grain accubonds shot so good they are skeeery 286 nosler partitions make ragged one hole groups and the same for PRVIs a buudy of mine loaded 270 gr cast bullets last week and shot one hole gruops at 50yds off of the handle bars of his 4wheeler.

I have always been a fan of 35s and they have been good to me but the 9.3x62 is at the top of my list at this time.

corjack,

what rifle are you shooting?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Is there a source in the anchorage/matsu area where there is a constant source of ammo for the 9.3? I reload, but wouldnt mind trying some factory ammo without special ordering.

Blaser R93

I have friends that are shooting the CZ and are getting nearly the same results as well just one of those rounds that likes to shoot.

Tikka makes a 9.3x62 but does not appear to bring them into the US market as is the same with Sako.

Default 9.3x62

It's a good cartridge for people sensitive to recoil . It's in a dead heat with the Whelen and 350 R.M. . Ammunition is about impossible to find out of town . I bouht one when I found a nice old Husqvarna . The cartridge is nothing special but has alot of history behind it , Africa's .06 .

Just got a load of 9.3x62 in from Norma, I am now convinced to get a barrel for my Blaser...

Exclamation 9.3x62

I read somewhere lately...I think handloader magazine article that you can just run 30-06 brass into the die and trim accordingly. Go check that mag, it's on the stands right now. there's a neat article on the caliber in it.

Default Head diameter - forming 9.3 from 06

I thought that the head diameter of the 30-06 was less than that of the 9.3. A quick check of my Nosler manual shows the rim diameter of the 06 at .473 and the 9.3 at .470 but the body diameter starting at .476. So i guess that the 9.3 has a marginally rebated rim. What does this mean for case forming a 9.3 from 06? I would be wary without consulting an expert (whomever that may be.) I wouldn't do it and a quick perusal of this site indicates a number of guys are using the 9.3 so I expect someone will be able to point you in the direction of some brass.

In BC, raw brass is not common but Norma Ammo is readily available as are dies and component bullets.

Nope, just run your .30'06 cases into a 9.3x62 sizing die, load long, pull the trigger.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Great round with plenty of history.

Had one briefly in a CZ, that rifle didn't suit me. Have another coming in my R93 system, cant wait!
    250gr TSX/Norma brass with a 2550+fps is where I'll be at.

The 9-3 is one serious bit of kit that's being taking big tough game for over a century. And from all reports it's a grand old cal that has been known to throw game into the ground(literally) once hit with a good 250-286gr bullet. It just seems to be one of those cal's that never gets a bad rap, or at least I haven't heard any.

boonies and GNG seem to have it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast