Thread: Installing a fan

Default Installing a fan

Good evening.

I am thinking about installing a couple of fans in the boat cabin. What type/brand do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

yhc

Default Stick with 12V unless you have a big boat.

Are you going to be using these fans primarily for defrosting the windows, or for a cooling breeze for hot summer days ( meaning you don't live here in Alaska ). In any case, unless you have something over 30ft long, stick with the simple 12V DC fans that mount above the window or along side it, with a swivel arm & they will usually do just fine. It really doesn't matter that much what brand-- most are made by only 1 or 2 companies, anyway, and are simply re-labeled at packaging.

The 12V versions allow you to either plug them into a cigarette-lighter type power source, or wire them directly to a fuse-panel w/ switches ( my choice ).

Marine supplies and Auto supplies will have them. They cost around $20-$40 each depending on capacity and convenience things like multi-speed.

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info, Mr. Bill.

The purpose of installing fans is to circulate air in the cabin to defrost windows. I have looked at 12v fans at West Marines and was not too impressed with them. Thus the question as to see what others are using/recommending.

I suppose I could just continue to use cross ventilation by leaving the windows opened slightly....

I have two CAFRAMO Bora Three-Speed Fans in mine. The boat has not seen the water yet, but the fans seem to be well built. I had one cheap one that I purchased from west marine in the old hewescraft. It plugged into a 12 volt recepticle. It worked well for 4 seasons, then took a dive. these new ones should last many more seasons.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have a 12v defroster and it works pretty good. Most of the time I use a regular fan
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Fans

Many times adding a fan or two will not help keep the moisture off the windows because the air is not venting the moisture out of the cabin. You need to blow warm air on to the window at the same time remove the moisture out the back of the boats cabin. I normally will leave my rear windows open to help with this problem. Your fans should have a rating on how many cubit ft of air that they can move. Most fans only have a 500 hour life. If all else fails set your fans up and do a smoke test to see what your air movement is.

Default Good Points.

Captiandd brings up a good point here. Fogged windows are a combination of 2 factors: humidity and the dew point temp of the window surface. Colder surfaces have lower dew points, and thus the water condenses out on the surface of the cooler glass. Lower the humidity of the surrounding air, or raise the temp of the window glass. Fans may work fine during summer rainy days, and then not clear the windows as fast when it gets colder. Heat definately helps the situation in all cases.

Here is a link to a 12V window "defogger" that I've been wondering about.
    http://www.reddenmarine.com/site/new...cfm?id=CAF9303
    It has no fan, and simply convects heat off of a tiny electric element.

Anybody have these or tried them before? I've heard both good and bad comments concerning these.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default 12 Volt Heater

One came with my boat, it does help some but takes a long time and if cold will only do a small clear spot.

Just saw this one online. Way bigger than the one I am using. Anyone have any experiance with this one?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Which one, DMan?

DMan,

I think you forgot to attach the link!?

Default Woops!

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    DMan,

I think you forgot to attach the link!?

Heh, sorry. http://www.amazon.com/American-Acces...738914-1740965

Default Read the Reviews

Read the reviews on the link. They will tell you anything. Read light to simulate heating element glow. Catch on fire!!!
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Yeah, think I will stick with my little black one. $30 and it works great