Thread: Merc flo torque props on Yammi outboards...

Default Merc flo torque props on Yammi outboards...

hey guys... any of you running Mercury Flo Torque stainless props on your Yamaha outboards? I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Prop selection is one of my remaining decisions to make before the boat arrives at the dealer next week... like a 6 yr old waiting for Christmas..
    Looking forward to seeing that shrink wrap being peeled off!!
    The boat is a Searunner 220 ht/et... with Yamaha's... 150 TRX6 & 9.9 HT...

I've always run Mercs and quite like the Flo Torque feature... smacked quite a few props pretty good, but never suffered drive train damage.
    My dealer is recommending the prop in a 17 pitch to run my first mph:rpm tests... and, of course, will be letting my try others to get max. performance.
    Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

I have a question, why are you going with the Yamaha engine this time? I currently own two Mercs, one kicker and other is an XR2 Black Max 150hp. 167hp. written inside the cowling. If it is for better fuel economy your thinking what im thinking except, Optimax instead of Yammi for new motor. That is when i buy one, that is.

To choose Yamaha over Merc was a REALLY tough choice for me...
    I took alot of time studying the new motors... and it got down to Merc, Suzuki and Yamaha. With my trucks, cars, and recreational stuff I've always leaned towards the units that have been fine tuned and twinked over time, but where the basic engine has remained the same and the unit has developed a history of reliability...
    Basically, this was the theory that I used to narrow down my outboard choice to Yamaha. I love the look/feel of the Verado but it is pretty much a whole new package... especially electronically. The choice of Yamaha over Susuki basically came down to the availability of service centers along the coast that we operate in.... Yamaha (and Merc) are pretty widespread... Susuki service centres is lacking along our coast. By the way, I test drove boats with the different motors as well... All performed pretty well... 4 strokes are really quiet and I was surprised at the power they had coming out of the hole... Also, Honda rated very well in all areas, but I just got too much feedback suggesting bad warranty support.
    So... I guess time will tell...
    Hey, Grayling, I'm currently running a 2000 Merc 90 2 stroke and a '91 5hp Merc kicker... love both of them!

Well nahmint,

That is definately a good reason not to choose a brand. I heard pretty good thing about the Yamahas and hope to here more later when you get her in the water. I was just curious about the reason for the change. Hope it works great for you and thats what matters most.
    I really have'nt heard alot from people that own an optimax but thought it should be at least a large improvement in fuel economy from the old 1985 beast i have now. I do like how it still holds up and runs fine. Never had any issues with it other than water in the tank. Just thought sooner or later with the newer outboards and fuel economy/prices, i should think about a change.