Thread: Which Remington?

Default Which Remington?

I might buy my wife a rifle for hunting moose and possibly predators. I've narrowed my search to the Remington model 7 youth model and the Remington 700 SPS youth model both in 7mm-08. I figure I'll scope either one with a VX2 3-9 or a Burris FF2 3-9. So the open sights of the model 7 really don't matter. But I am told the model 7 youth model has been discontinued .

What's the difference between the two and way should I lean towards one or the other. Boonies has the model 7 for $599 right now and I think this rifle will fit my 5'3" 100lbs wife nicely, but am curious about the SPS youth model. Any other thoughts?

You can still find Stainless model 7s if you look around

I let my wife pick out the one that fit her the best and I kind of helped pick out the caliber. She ended up picking a model 7 in 7mm-08. Later , I wanted her to have a rifle with some more punch and she got a Savage stainless 300wsm with a synthetic youth stock and then I got this gun magna-ported and I installed a better recoil pad. Both guns fit her well.

If she wants to shoot my model 7 7-08 to see if she likes it let me know. I just live up the street from you ( I saw the picture of your air boat on the boat forum that's parked in front of your house). I told my wife I wanted it so the kids could eventually shoot it but I love it and they may have to get their own.

Default 300 savage

I know where you can get a brand new remington 700 classic in 300 savage. They are very light and point nice. $405. PM if interested. I haven't got mine yet and there are only 3 left.

Jake

hntr thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if she would like to shoot it. Everything really depends if she wants to squeeze in a few day hunts this fall. She said, "I'll just shoot your rifle." No way I'd let her shoot my 300RUM.

Mine isn't the youth model but it fits my wife and she is pettite 5'3" 105. It has the 3-9X40 FFII on it also.

WG, there isn't too much difference in the Model 7 and 700 Sps. I can't remember what all there is, but I do know that the 700 is a better pick, accuracy-wise. Fit-wise for the MRS., well, the model 7 is likely to work best. There are millions of model 7's floating around Alaska, so don't worry about that. If it won't hit the big side of a barn, I know a good smith or 2 and folks that will help you get it right...

Default Accuracy

Mine consistently shoots sub MOA with TSX 140 gr handloads. Gets good velocity out of 20 inch barrel.

I picked up a 700 SPS youth model in 308 for my wife today. All I need to do now is scope it, take it to the range, and have her put the crosshairs on a moose this fall.