View Poll Results: which rifle

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Model 700 VTR 22-250

15 50.00%
  • Sikka T3 Varmint stainless 22-250

15 50.00%

Thread: Which one??? Kind of time sensitive!!!

Default Which one??? Kind of time sensitive!!!

If you had to choose between a Remington 700 VTR or a Tikka T3 Varmit stainless, which one would you choose and why? This would be in a 22-250? They are the same weight, here are the 2 links to compare if interested. If any of you guns guys got advice, please let me know quick. Thanks

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_vtr.asp

http://www.berettausa.com/product/ri...rrentseries=33

Mark

I have a highly customized 700 in 300 WinMag (blueprinted action, fluted #6 SS Shilen barrel, custom Robar stock, tuned trigger, and lots more) as well as an off-the-shelf Tikka T-3 SS (not the varmint version), also in 300 WinMag. Both have the same P1 Shepherd scope.

The T-3 turned out to be a fraction of the price and shoots just as well as the customized 700.

I'm also in the market for a Tikka SS T-3 Varmint, but I want mine in .243 Win..............

so you would recommend the tikka?

No experience with the Tikka, but I've got 22-250s in Rem 700, Savage, Ruger #1 and Ruger M77. All are accurate, but the Rem and Savage nudge the others for top honors. If budget was an issue, I'd go with the Savage if that let me put better glass on the gun than I could afford with one of the others.

Gotta say though, that in the land of sod poodles, 22-250's are a dime a dozen on the used rack as everyone is dumping them for the 204 Ruger. They like it better for both trajectory and accuracy.

so the 204 in the latest and greatest? Who all offers a nice gun in that caliber?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by sweet03cobra View Post
    so the 204 in the latest and greatest? Who all offers a nice gun in that caliber?

Every gun manufacturer out there today. I have 2 204 Rugers, one is an upper for my AR and the other is my T/C Encore.

You can get your 700 VTR in .204 Ruger.

Mark

so you would recommend the tikka?
    Highly. It's very accurate, very light, and very affordable.

would paying $665 for the tikka be a good deal? They want 7-750 for the VTR.

Mark

would paying $665 for the tikka be a good deal?.....

Is that the SS Varmint version?

(If so, tell me where you're getting it..............I'll be right behind you............)

I believe it is the SS varmint version. Which of the 2 are going to be more accurate?

Mark

I believe it is the SS varmint version. Which of the 2 are going to be more accurate?
    You never can say for sure. Each weapon has it's own individual idiosyncrasies.

But both will be very accurate, and I think that's a great price for the Tikka.

Are you looking at a new Tikka at that price? Are there any in 243 there?

well I went with the tikka, last one. I will check on the 243 for ya. I hit up boondocks, bx, sportmans, and some local gun shops looking for them. It seems the 223s and 243s are more popular so I will see. if I find one I will hit you up.

Default Remington

I like my remington 700 22-250. Its a heavy beast but when it comes down to brass tacks it drives them. Won 100 dollars buy shooting a golf ball at 400 yards one time. It was a little lucky but I bet I could do it again. I have found that my 22-250 is a little light for wolves. Last year I had one run off on me. I was shooting 50gr Hornady Vmax. I found him but it was a bit of a hike. A .243 would have been nice. Not so sure about a .204. Just my opinion.

If I had it to do all over again I would definitely go with stainless.

Mark

well I went with the tikka, last one.....
    Lucky you. $665 is a good price.

If you run into a Tikka T-3 Varmint SS in 243 at that price again, let me know. I'll be there with the cash pronto.

will do, I will ask around.