Thread: 7X57 Ackley Improved

Default 7X57 Ackley Improved

Any one with Info on this gun and reloading would be Awesome

Great round, unfortunately I dont have any stats...I have shot a few in the past and they are pretty darn accurate

I've been around them and shot them, but never owned one. When I wanted more than the basic 7x57 (which I absolutely love), I've gone with the 284 and 280. Currently I own two 7x57s, a 7-08, a 284, a 7mm Waters, a 280, and a couple of 7mags, so you might say I'm a 7mm nut.

Not trying to discourage you because it's a great round. But consider carefully that in order to get top ballistics you have no choice but to reload. With the 7-08, 284 and 280 you can get top loads right off the shelf.

Default 7x57

Hey thanks for the info I got one from a freind of mine that passed, looks like a great gun did some research but havent really found alot about this gun...

If I ever found an existing gun such as yours, I probably would have jumped on it.

I wouldn't dare quote the details from memory, but my bud that has a very fine old one loads a near max charge of the old H-4831 under a 160, either a Nosler Parition or Speer, for close to 200 fps more than you see typical for the 7x57 in books. Part of that is due to running pressures up to "standard" levels, rather than being held down as is usual for 7x57, but some is due to the increased powder capacity. However you explain it, he gets very long case life while producing ballistics more like the 7-08, 280 or 284. Ballistics of 7x57 factory 175s are pretty wimpy though. As I recall he is sighted in between 2" and 3" high at 100 yards, and I've seen him make a couple of very clean back to back one-shot kills on deer at an honest 300 yards and one nice bull elk at around 175 or 200. Whap, dead.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've been around them and shot them, but never owned one. When I wanted more than the basic 7x57 (which I absolutely love), I've gone with the 284 and 280. Currently I own two 7x57s, a 7-08, a 284, a 7mm Waters, a 280, and a couple of 7mags, so you might say I'm a 7mm nut.

Not trying to discourage you because it's a great round. But consider carefully that in order to get top ballistics you have no choice but to reload. With the 7-08, 284 and 280 you can get top loads right off the shelf.
    BrownBear:
    If you're a 7mm nut, then I'm in good company. I like 7mm caliber the best.

280, 7mm Weatherby, 7mm Rem. a 7x57 for my wife, and a Military 7mm Mauser.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

How do you like that 7mm Weatherby? Macks Sport Shop in Kodiak (486-4276) has a big overstock of ammo for it, something like two cases, and they're trying to dump it at yard sale prices. Still no takers of even a single box, so I bet if you called and took it all, you could negotiate a heck of a price. Way below wholesale, for sure.

My pride and joy 7mm is an original Savage 99 in 284. I don't hunt with it much any more because it's pristine and they're scarce as hens teeth. I like it so much though, that if I ever found a "shooter" in another caliber at the right price, I'd seriously consider a rebarrel so I could get one back out in the field. It's such a great combo for close in fast action shooting, mixed with serious long range work when needed. Probably due to a lifetime of familiarity for me, but the 99 is one of the best intuitive offhand guns I've ever shouldered. I've consistently made called and witnessed offhand shots on deer that are too good to write about. You'd just have to be there to see the shot, or you wouldn't believe it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks BrownBear:

I retired my 7mm Rem. Mag.

I just love my 7mm Weatherby, Mark V, SS, Plastic Stock, 26 inch barrel, Monte Carlo Stock. It's my Utility Weatherby.

I've bagged three Whatchaboos with it.

I'll give that ammo some thought, but I handload and I have 100 Norma cases, and made 100 more from new 7mm Rem Mag. cases. That works OK, even though the necks are a bit shorter, than genuine 7mm Wby cases.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default update on 7mm Wby ammo

I was just in the store today, and got a heck of a shock. New price on 300 Wby mag ammo is $100 a box!

Their overstock of 7mm Wby, both Wby and Federal brand, is going for $25 a box- same price for both standard softpoints and Noslers. They've got both in all weights. He said anyone that was willing to buy a bunch would get an even bigger discount.

Grab it while you can if you've got a 7mm Wby.