Thread: Catarafts in the Ocean

Default Catarafts in the Ocean

I purchased a cople of 1 man Catarafts and was thinking of using them on shuyak Island within the bays. Has anyone used catarafts in the ocean and how do they work and any tips!!

Default it could work

I don't know if I'd want to be out in the ocean in one. What if the wind comes up or it gets really rough? True, an inner tube will work in some situations, but do you really want to get out there THAT BAD?

I'd save up and get something a little more substantial for your ocean trips.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default RE ocean catarafts

Thanks for the reply Alot of the bays on the island are protected and see people using the inflatable kayaks...

Catarafts in the Ocean,

Did you ever try this out in the protected Bays and if so how did that work for you? I was thinking about doing it, but had concerns with wind if it were to come up. Thanks,...

I've used my 16' NRS Rivercat with a motor off of Anchor Point for halibut. My buddy used his 18' Aire cataraft and we launched and returned in the Anchor River. We don't go too far out and pick the days carefully with the buddy system. We have done fairly well and have not had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
    I purchased a cople of 1 man Catarafts and was thinking of using them on shuyak Island within the bays. Has anyone used catarafts in the ocean and how do they work and any tips!!
    Before jumping to any conclusions based on any number of assumptions... What 1 person Catarafts did you purchase (brand and model)? How are they equipped? How are you dressing for the occasions.