Thread: Mammut Champ pants

Default Mammut Champ pants

ON a scale of 1 to ten, how would you rate the wind resistence of these pants?
    How well do they breathe, 1-10?
    What pants would you take on a combo Moose/sheep hunt ,first week of september in the Alaska range?
    I bought a pair at around 120$, but i cant make up my mind on these pants. Try to convince me why or why not i like these pants. Ken

Lookout,I can see this thread gonna get moved! Any ways, I have the Mammut Champ pants, and i don't think its a good wind breaker, but yes it breaths well and dries fast, it does repel water with that new Scholler material, However, I found a much similar pants but way, way better than Mammuts, Its the Arcteryx Gamma pants, a little pricier but great for wind breakage. i would still use the mammuts for early season sheep hunts but for sept. hunts i'd go with the gamma pants by Arteryx....CK

Arteryx? Great stuff, but I wouldn't give them my support. I have heard they take a pretty hard stance against hunters...

Default Arcteryx

Yeah, thats what I hear about all those type of manufacturers, but it makes me feel good to get blood all over their gear and post the pictures all over the internet, it makes them even more furious!! especially when their products aided in a good hunt. I try to buy the stuff on sale in the off-season where it' dirt cheap, Beaver sports has a huge sale in the spring on winter/fall wear and I have found items up to 80% off.

As Far as Arcteryx though, I have heard mixed stories, that their designer, I'm assuming Canadian, was involved in the design of sitka gear, not sure how true that is, but oh well. I tell you one thing for sure, I won't buy Patagonia, I only have it because it was free, and its just the capilene stuff.

Not to ramble on, and take away from the thread, but with the recall of over 143 million pounds of Beef, these Greenies might want to think about huntin' for themselves...then again maybe they like chemical enhanced meat.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Yeah, thats what I hear about all those type of manufacturers, but it makes me feel good to get blood all over their gear and post the pictures all over the internet, it makes them even more furious!!
    I've never really understood this line of reasoning. I doubt pictures of you with animal blood on your clothes is going to change the way anti-hunting companies spend the money you gave them. Maybe they laugh at your pics while they hire lawyers with your hard earned money whose mission is to take away your and your children's and grandchildren's right and privilege to hunt. It's like getting shot with your own gun.

Sorry if I come across hard on this issue but I think in many ways us hunters need to wake up, do what we can and put our money where our mouths are. In some areas we may not have much of a choice where we spend our money but I for one will never buy Patagonia anything. I don't care what kind of miracle fabric it's supposedly made of. I have never bought Arcteryx stuff and don't know anything about the company but if they are anti-hunting their lawyers won't be getting any of my money. I'd rather wear cotton.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I don't know anything about their "environmental policies", but I recently learned that Arcteryx does have a law enforcement/armed forces purchase program that offers some "tactical" variations of their gear in subdued colors and Crye Multicam at discounted prices to qualified buyers. Even with the discount a full set of their rain gear is about $700, but I might buy a couple of less costly items that I otherwise would have avoided.

Default Ken

Nothing personal guys, but I asked for a review on gear.. Not the politics of the world. I thought these pants were highly recomened but no one seems to know anything about them... Go figure. Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    Nothing personal guys, but I asked for a review on gear.. Not the politics of the world. I thought these pants were highly recomened but no one seems to know anything about them... Go figure. Ken
    I have a pair and used them on a September sheep hunt and several bear hunts. They breathe well (10) and do cut the wind, but are not wind proof IMO. I like them better than the sporhills if that helps you any. Oh yea, they still look good even with some grizzly blood on them.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Cold_zero has posted lots about the Champ pants and loves them. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on new pants but have not been able to find the Champs here in Fairbanks to try them on. But the SportHill 3sp camo pants fit is fantastic, at least for me. For that reason I will probably get the Sporthills. Anyone know of anyplace that carries the Champs in Fairbanks? Also, I'm not aware of any anti-hunting activism with Mammut like Patagonia. Anyone hear of anything?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Nope, just Patagonia from what I know...

Ken, as far as Mammut champ pants, they breath well, but they are real thin, I actually wore mine with a pair of poly pro thermals, they are very thin with reinforced material over the knees and inside ankles. They do sell them at Barneys if you want to look at them.

Here's my Arteryx gamma pants and champ pants, the Gamma pants has thin micro fleece lining in it, In my opinion superior to the champ pants, and a great wind-stopper...heres the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kahahawi, Thanks for the info. Which gamma pants model are you refering to, MX,LT,or AR? Any chance they are suspender compatible? Thats one thing I really like about the champs. Ken

Default Pants

Its the MX Alpine pants, these pants are also very durable, I was all up in the rocks and slid on some shale and there are no scuff marks or tears. I will be using them again this year sheep hunting.

Default Mammuts

Ken,

I have both the Sporthills and the Mammut Champs. The champs were a recent purchase of mine but I have had the chance to spend a couple of days hiking around in them. First, for sheep, I believe the Mammut's are superior (for me) in fit, breathability, and design. Mammuts belt loops are great and I find the pockets more useful. The material is VERY wind-RESISTANT not proof but on your scale of resistance, I would put them pretty high. The sporthills are great pants, but I find them to warm for early season stuff they also "Pill-up" after use and wash. Mammuts are more durable. I can easily see myself using both pants, Mammuts earlier season and for very active hunting, Sporthills for cooler hunting or more sit time. Hard to go wrong with high quality gear, If I could only have one, Mammuts....

Default sitka gear

I would forget about all of those other brands and go with Sitka Gear. It is designed specifically for hunting and is hands down the best stuff I have ever used. You can get it at Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage or from their website.

I like some of the sitka gear, like the 90% jacket, but for me the pants just don't fit me right. Plus, they do not stretch like the Sporthills or apparently the Champs. I think comparing the Champs and Sporthills with the Sitka pants are like comparing apples and oranges.

Heck I cant even find the Mammut Champ pants in my size anywhere Med/Short, Large/short!

I have worn these pants for a few days and i will add a things. Wind resistense, Maybe a 5 1/2 to 6 1/2. not good, not bad. They are comfy and sized well. I think the suspenders will really be another plus. I believe these pants will be going on a sheep hunt with me. As for the second pair of pants I plan on taking, they will have to be a little heavier(warmer) and more windproof. I have not decided on these yet. Ken