Thread: Lakers on the fly

Default Lakers on the fly

Any suggestions for taking Lake trout on the fly in high mountain lakes? I might be trying a few this spring around ice out and I was wondering what suggestions people might have.

I figure sculpins and woolly buggers, maybe a mouse or popper but having only caught them trolling I could use some ideas.

Thanks!
    River Runnin

Default Denali Hwy.

Also, now that I am looking at a map, does anyone have suggestions about seasons for ice out in the paxon area along the denali highway? I hear it might be good over there.
    River Runnin

Default baitfish..

I would try some baitfish streamers. Polarflash clousers in green/gold, blue,silver, etc.. Bet that would catch some lake trout. Read some great info in "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska" by Troy Leatherman about lake trout. In that book, there is a chapter dedicated to each species of the main sportfish in Alaska. Great read. This is the right time of year for a great read too. It is sold on the forum store.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default watch the hatch

I have caught lakers on big black leaches and big ugly sculpins. But since you are talking spring time, watch what other bugs are buzzing around. Turn over rocks old leaves or branches and look at what is out near the lake. Midges, mayflies, and little shrews have all brought me luck.

Default when do the lakes open up?

I am planning my first trip to AK for May/June and was also going to do some fly fishing on the Denali Highway, mostly for grayling but maybe lakers too. Any idea when the lakes open up in that area? (and if anyone is in a really generous mood, any good spots to try within a few mile hike of the road?)

Default Yeah Baby

Paxon Area not giving away any secrets on this lots published over the years so don't hate the player hate the game. I know I am full of it today sorry.

Ice Out - Paxon Lake depending on the year just prior to Mem Weekend all the way past the 1st week in June. Depending on the elevation and location some lakes don't have full ice out till Mid June on the road system you are asking about.

Tangle lakes, Paxon and Summit lakes offer great Sping Laker action just after ice out. Paxon and Sumit just find the outlet to the Lake i.e. the East Fork of the Gulkana and some times Gunn Creek fish Smolt out patterns or standard White Bunny Type Leeches and or Clouser style minnows hang on and have fun. No Needs for Sculpin type patters at all IMO.

Tangle Lakes no smolt out however there are Grayling on the Spawn now and again and Dark style Leeches and or Woolley Buggers work well.

If you are feeling like going for more of an adventure look to Hungry Hollow Creek and or Sweade Lake (spelling) which drain towards the West Fork of the Gulkana.

Any Who Great Question.

Hope my little fishing fibs helps you find what your looking for.

Tight Lines and Best wishes!

Blue Moose!

Default fibs?

Hey Moose, thanks for the tips...I think. What did you mean by "fishing fibs"? Without looking at a map or my "Highway Angler", everything seemed reasonable you said. Am I missing something?

Default Nah Not missing

Just words. Fishing Fibs no that was a 20 inch fish not a 23 inch fish! Funny they all seem longer when you don't get them to the boat :-)

:-) Sorry :-)

I hope you have a very wonderful trip this summer! Ice Out is a Hoot!

Thanks for the help, I'll see what I can find out there. I've been meaning to go for 3 years or so I think I will this time.
    River Runnin

Moose, would you fish the stream on Hungry Hollow or the lakes on it? And how are you getting back into Swede? Are you bushwhacking back from the highway or hiking up the creek?
    River Runnin

Default Check with BLM

Hike to Swede / Argo to HH fish the stream HH creek you just might be suprised to find out what you might hook up on. Wait till July and have fun no Lakers in the creek then but other options.

:-)

RR if you want more data shoot me a PM on HH