Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor stuck?????

Default Anchor stuck?????

What are tactics you guys use when your anchor is stuck on the buttom. Besides cutting the line, lol.

Default How to deal with Anchors

Usually I start with a good talking -to. Sometimes they need to be coaxed out. Berating works on others. Insults are the key to unlocking other difficult sulkers...

And when all this fails, and the Mrs. is beginning to rouse to the displays of my Immaturity, I have to actually start the engine and add a drift buoy, Head off to unexpected angles, And blame any collisions on my wifes' impatience...

Then we just sit for a bit longer, let things cool, and start all over...

And then eventually, I humbly admit, that yes, dear, YOU were right...

If you make a WRECK anchor made out of cement and rebar, you can use the boats power to straighten out the rebar hook. You can wait for Low tide tie off and let the tide and boat to try to pull it free. Be prepared to cut away if required. If you are with another boat you could try to have the other vessel run a hook and line down the fouled rode at an angle and try to free it that way. If have tied off a float to the rode and come back later to find that it had come free by itself. Be safe

Steve

One method I was taught involves about three feet of chain and 100 or so feet of line. Let's see if I can explain this.

Put the chain around the anchor line and tie one end of your extra 100 feet of line to the two ends of the chain so that you essentially have the chain forming an eye with the anchor line running through it. Then allow the chain to slide down the anchor line to the anchor. Position your boat on the opposite side of the anchor from which you set it. Pull on the line attached to the chain so that the chain eye slides down the anchor stock and up against the flukes. Secure the line attached to the chain to a cleat on your boat and back down in the opposite direction from which the anchor was set. With a little luck, the anchor should come out.

I carry three feet of chain and some extra line on my boat for this purpose, but fortunately, to date, I've never had to use it.

I am a total novice at boating in general especially in alaska. But when I was in Florida fishing with a buddy we got ours hung up while chumming and throwing the cast net for bait. We ended up tying the anchor rope to a bow cleat and then just leaned into it with a little bit of power. The anchore pulled free (sort of) and I was able to start hauling it in. About 400 jerk cleans later I got the now "modified" anchor to the surface. It took us another 20 minutes to get it untangled from the SHOPPING CART! If you havn't had the opportunity to drag a shopping cart covered in muscles up from 50 feet off the bottom you havn't lived...

Quote Originally Posted by Utahhunter View Post
    What are tactics you guys use when your anchor is stuck on the buttom. Besides cutting the line, lol.
    Brady:

I've use Lujon's solution numerous time and have never lost an anchor. It might mean tugging at it from all angles but eventually they come up. But be careful, you need to know where your lower unit is sitting in relation to rock outcroppings and slopping beaches.

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up

First thing is to attach your chain properly to the anchor (prevention method), if you have a Bruce or any kind of plow type anchor, chain it to the elbow at the top of the plow, not at the very end of the arm. Use halibut cord at the end of the arm and tie your chain to it, using one or two cords depending on how big your boat is and if it can break that cord. The idea is that the cord should snap with enough force and now the anchor is lifted from the elbow and should come right up. If you only attach it at the end, any pull is going to pull up whatever is over the plow section. If you don't use a Bruce or plow type anchor, a messenger ring on another line is another option. That requires more line, a big ring, and more swearing. I have had the cord break and not know it until I pulled the anchor after a bad storm and it still held just fine.

Thanks for the post guys. I've always done the method Lujon's and kingfisherktn mentioned. The others sound really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    First thing is to attach your chain properly to the anchor (prevention method), if you have a Bruce or any kind of plow type anchor, chain it to the elbow at the top of the plow, not at the very end of the arm. Use halibut cord at the end of the arm and tie your chain to it, using one or two cords depending on how big your boat is and if it can break that cord. The idea is that the cord should snap with enough force and now the anchor is lifted from the elbow and should come right up. If you only attach it at the end, any pull is going to pull up whatever is over the plow section. If you don't use a Bruce or plow type anchor, a messenger ring on another line is another option. That requires more line, a big ring, and more swearing. I have had the cord break and not know it until I pulled the anchor after a bad storm and it still held just fine.
    Zip ties work well too.

Default Pulling Anchor up

You did not mention the type or size of boat that you are pulling up the anchor on. My boat I am using an electric anchor puller"EZ Anchor Pullers". My anchor is a bruce. I run the chain to the front hole of the anchor and connect chain to anchor with a shackle. On the arm of the anchor I tie the chain on using 72 ganion. To pull anchor I put 1 engine in forward gear and slowly pull up the slack on the anchor line with the winch. If the winch stops I back off the engine and will let out some line and try it again. If that fails I will let out enough anchor line so that I can tie the Line to a cleat and pull the anchor with a 42" float. Last July I had my anchor get hung up and I tried pulling up with just the winch and engines. The base plate on the anchor winch broke and the winch and all went over board. It appeared that the plastic type base was not strong enough to take the strain. I contacted the anchor company and they paid for the damages. I now have an Ez Anchor puller with an all metal base.

Default try this for saving stuck anchors

Hello Alaska from Florida -

I have been using wire ties - rope - mono filament etc. as break aways for
    years. Recently I tried a new approach and it works.

Go to anchorsaver.com and see the answer.

petew675

Default about ten years ago...

we were fishing for halibut out of deep creek. our anchor got stuck and we had a hell of a time getting it back. i was telling my dad that if i cut it i would buy him another one when we got back to shore. he was stubborn enough to get that anchor back. we would power out, spin the boat, and i would retreive the slack by hand. tie off on the cleat, and try again. this went on for about two hours. when the anchor came up, it was attached to a big mess of longlining gear. brought the whole mess aboard and our day was shot. got back to camp and i was in charge of getting that anchor out of that mess. about four hours later and some new cusswords discovered, i had it. the look on my dads face was priceless, and all he said was, i knew you could do it son....

Default Pulling Anchor

Just a note for everyone. Absolutely never use the cleat on the rear of the boat to hold the anchor line while pulling with a bouy etc. A few years back I was witness to a pretty bad accident where a boat was pulling anchor with a buoy and the chain slid back through the buoy and the anchor started to fall. The captain took a couple of catches on one of the rear cleats and prepared to pull the anchor again and in the mean time the anchor caught on bottom and in Cook Inlet the tides run so fast that the back end of the boat was pulled under and the boat rolled over. There was a lady in the front of the boat that didn't get out and she died. What a horrible thing to happen for such a simple mistake. Just thought I would mention it here to prevent such an accident from happening again.

That's a very good point. Everyone knows (I hope) that you should never anchor from the stern. But when a situation suddenly comes up like it did in that situation, I can see how someone could react quickly like he did and not realize what the consequences could be.

Arcticfox77,

That's a great story. Reminds me of my days fishing with my dad. Maybe their related. Those stories sure do make for good material to give them a hard time about later.

Default Pulling out...

You also have to be careful not to "bury" the bow when hooking to a forward cleat and trying to power it out!!

I'm just gonna throw this in A lot of times i don't think its the anchor that gets hung down i think from the boat swinging on the anchor line that the end of the chain gets wedged into a crevise or wraps a rock and thats whats hung. Still hung but the tripper on the anchor ain't gonna do ya no good.
    When i get hung down i pull all the slack out of the line, get the line straight up & down, tie it off to a bow cleat and put the power to it from all different directions till it comes loose(hopefully). This all works if you don't rip the cleats out of the boat, i've got mine backed up with plywood & aluminum plates but thats another discussion in itself. Oh yeah one more thing, always have a complete spare anchor rig.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Dangers of Stuck Anchor

Well I know from first hand how fast you can pull your boat under trying to unstuck an anchor. Tryed the bow for a bit, no luck, since I was in a zodiac I tryed the stern, with a knife positioned to cut the line( <-- very important fact) I throttled it up, stood still for a min, and in 1 second the transom was under water. Cut the line and popped up hard and fast.

Later that year I got to watch a guy try to pull his anchor off the bow with a bouy. Off he goes small right hand turn, when he hit the end of the line with the stuck anchor it yanked him so hard he went over 60 degrees or so. Tossed folks in the back down and almost overboard, driver hit hard too. But lucky for him the boat popped back up, took on a lot of water and had people bleeding. We went over to make sure he was cool.

Have a knife ready at all times.
    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/anchor.htm

Default Another variation on where not to cleat off at

A friend who use to charter warned me never to cleat off the anchor to a side cleat. Every once in a while people try this so that the boat sits sideways and provides more room where everyone can fish off the side of the boat when the tide is running. The problem comes in when the tide gets running hard and it can roll the boat over. Only cleat off the anchor to the front of the boat where it is designed to be.

Jim

Default off topic slightly

Could a cat (say 18') be used to bouy up shrimp pots or would it pull the cat under?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast