Thread: Tackle boxes?

Default Tackle boxes?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good tackle box or system for halibut gear and trolling rigs? Everything I am looking at looks like it would be great for one but not the other but I would really like to get something that would be good for everything.
    Looking to store flashers, weights, leader rigs, hoochies, etc, etc on a 21' North River Seahawk.
    ANY suggestions will definitly be researched and appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Just a idea

A couple 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon buckets works real nice. Keeps them visable and fits all the larger flashers, hooks, divers and when you need to wash your gear take the whole bucket out of the boat. Works well for us we have one for the salmon and the other for the halibuts. Qurious what others are using....

Default Tackle Box

I like the plastic milk crates. I store the gear in individual zip lock bags and the crates fit under my bench seats. I use the clear plastic multi compartment storage compartments for smaller items and small lures.

Default Same - Same

I'm using almost the same "system" as captaindd. They are not quite as portable as a closed top tackle box, but the milk crates slip into the storage spaces on the boat and the Ziploc bags are easy to see into.

I've used wire-ties to fasten a plywood separator into the salmon version. I have saw cuts along the top to hold the hooks of all of my salmon spoons and a piece of bungee cord to hold them and keep them from moving around and knocking their paint off. With a little effort you can make a plywood cover and use wire-ties for hinges. Applying some epoxy paint makes the plywood waterproof. There is plenty of room for your salmon flashers, leader set-ups, hoochies, and sinkers in one crate and halibut hooks, jig tails, spare harpoon heads, made-up leaders, spreader bars and etc. in the other. Simple and very inexpensive.

a 5 gallon pail works wonders for your shark hook, halibut weights, jigs and the halibut rigs themselves. Or you could make a semi V trough for a lack of a better term and mount it under your gunnels for your halibut weights and jigs. It seemed effective, but I'm not so sure I'd want it on my personal boat. To many prying hands if you know what I mean. For someone pulling the boat after every trip it might not be a bad choice.

For mooching and troll leaders, wrap them on insulation foam. Score it every 1/2" or so and then wrap them. I usually do 20 to a roll. I keep these and a file and a couple extra pliers in the top compartment of the plano style soft case.

Hoochies, and extra stuff, I keep in a plano soft case with the plano compartments that are seperate. One has all hoochies, one of the small one has salmon hardware, the other has halibut hardware (swivels snaps split rings etc), another of the big ones has spoons, extra pre tied leaders for halibut with no hooks and one with all halibut hooks.

Dam shame though it looks like I wont be guiding this summer. That is unless someone is looking for a charter skipper

Here is the bag I use.

http://www.planomolding.com/content/...=48&partid=204

If the link doesnt work its the guide bag 3337. I use the smaller version for my ice fishing garb.

Default My 2 cents

I also was looking into the tackle bag idea, they run from $30 and up, most including the plastic storage containers. I found in the camping section of Walmart a yellow PVC type plastic water proof bag that fits the 5 large tackle storage boxs perfect with a little extra room. The yellow bag was $30 and works very well. Really nice to keep your gear dry.

Awesome stuff, gentlemen. I think I may make a super system using all of your ideas. I will let everyone know what i come with.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    Awesome stuff, gentlemen. I think I may make a super system using all of your ideas. I will let everyone know what i come with.
    Last year I used the Arctic Ice Melt buckets. These are rectangular instead of round. I also took a saw and cut a bunch of slots in the top to hook the jig hooks into. This kept them form all sliding to one side when carrying them. I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. I would just put the weights in the bottom of the bucket and hook the jigs over the top. At the end of the day I could use my freshwater spray and hose them down in the bucket and rinse them pretty well without much hassle. This worked well for halibut and salmon rigs.

Default Always

Always have two tackle boxes. One to show off for your friends, and one that is cheap, dirty and doesn't latch just in case you go fishing with the boss. You never want him to have the opinion that he pays you too much.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Clear rubbermade boxes work great make sure to drill some drain hole in them. I also like the clear snap top flambeau boxes for spoons, hooks, swivels, etc...I hope this adds to the "SUPERSYSTEM". Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Always have two tackle boxes. One to show off for your friends, and one that is cheap, dirty and doesn't latch just in case you go fishing with the boss. You never want him to have the opinion that he pays you too much.
    GREAT idea. My boss is already too jealous of my boat and it would just add insult to injury if he found out my gear is WAY cooler than his as well!!

Anyone have any suggestions on a good tackle box or system for halibut gear and trolling rigs? Everything I am looking at looks like it would be great for one but not the other but I would really like to get something that would be good for everything.
    Looking to store flashers, weights, leader rigs, hoochies, etc, etc on a 21' North River Seahawk.
    ANY suggestions will definitly be researched and appreciated.
    Thanks.
    epw-

Drop by the Can Can for a visit some morning... (I know we tried last year... **** busy conflicted schedules!) I'm sure you'll pick up quite a few ideas. I wouldn't mind getting the "A School" perspective on a few things as well...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Case,

Will you be around this weekend? I will be off work and probably looking to drag a herring a two around dupont so I will be in the area.

Erich

Case,

Will you be around this weekend? I will be off work and probably looking to drag a herring a two around dupont so I will be in the area.

Erich
    ...composing PM now. Check CanCanCase.com in a few minutes.

For anyone else interested, I use a Coleman cooler. Handles make carrying to different boats easy. I had to mount a pair of those chemical drying agents (like you might put in a gun safe) since the cooler is air tight... hooks kept rusting when they were brand new! Add a few sections of PVC pipe (wrapped in pipe insulation) hung with closet bar mounting sockets, and you've got a great filing system for trolling gear. The plastic egg cartons I used to take camping keep the halibut gear from rolling around in the bottom too much.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default tackle tamers

I've tried everything for storing salmon leaders. This is by far the best system I've seen. Simple, effective, durable, cheap, storage inside, and you can wash the whole thing at the end of the day.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/leader-storage/