Thread: 18ft Alweld ?s

Default 18ft Alweld ?s

I have an 1995 1860 Alweld with 1994115HP Johnson reef runner with jet (also have the prop). I am thinking of upgrading to a 2001 Johnson 150HP jet for more power. My questions are how much more power will this give me? I imagine a lot since going from 4cyl. to 6 cyl. and the 150 is only 60 pounds heavier. Will this boat work pretty well down in valdez when it is nice and should I switch to the prop drive to go down there? I don't think the 150 has that so will I have any problems running the jet in valdez if I upgrade to 150?
    Thanks,
    Tim

Bump to top

Bump to top

Default Hey Cool

Contact the guys at the Boat Shop in FAI just for grins. Sounds to me that the 150 is too much for that boat. By Alweld design specs my 22'x70" is the smallest boat rated for a 150hp. I think your 115 is matched pretty well with that hull. The 150 Jet only produces about 105hp if everything is perfect.
    I know the old Johnson's are not exactly fuel friendly, but a 150 yammy carb model will only bring you about 11gph if you are lucky. Like you said, the 150 is going to be heavier too.
    If I were you, I would plan on keeping my set up, and monitoring my loads to maximize the boat/motor potential.