Thread: any caribou hunting still open

Default any caribou hunting still open

i was just wondering if there is any areas still open in the state dont matter just want the meat. Thanks for the help

The haul is still open, though it's not easily hunted this time of year.

Jon

Default Kodiak Reindeer/Caribou

The season never closes on Kodiak, Can hunt same day as you fly and no limit. All are on south end and have to charter a flight both ways about $1500-2000 total.

Default what about close to the interior

any thing in chicken, stesse highway. i could do haul road any guesse where they would be.

The haul road is the closest your gonna get here in the interior. The bow would be easier than rifle hunting but its still a hard hunt. I take a trip every March and usually catch them near coldfoot. The best thing to do is call the pump stations and talk to the people who travel the road all the time for the best location of the bou.

White Moutains Registration hunt is still open (RC 879), http://hunt.alaska.gov/index.cfm?fus...007&hunt=RC879

I have seen Caribou from the road in this area, but not many.

Units 22, 23, 24, and 26 are open year round.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Kotzebue Alaska

There are about 600 animals 20 miles south of town and I need meat. Will be going out this weekens as soon as the blizzare lifts!

Hey, Walt's limit is 5 a day. Just have him get an extra for you and pay the NAC freight back to Anch. Backhaul rates are pretty cheap!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking We dont need no stinking limmits!

Right now we are getting blasted with a killer west wind and the storm that came with it. About 15 new inches of snow and 45 mph winds. Overflow will be nasty, hope I can get out and don't get swamped!

It seems like I get myself into bad overflow once a year! I will let you know if I get a few bou, you pay the back haul and I will toss a few on NAC for you!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    White Moutains Registration hunt is still open (RC 879), http://hunt.alaska.gov/index.cfm?fus...007&hunt=RC879

I have seen Caribou from the road in this area, but not many.
    Is this whole area open to snowmachine access?

Red face WACH bou!

Ok I just made it back from my “Sunday” caribou hunting trip. Well I took a rookie teacher out with me thinking I would show him the country and the dos and don’t about travel on a snow machine. We headed down towards the “Arctic Circle” to find some bou. We saw well over 500 animals in groups ranging from 8-10 to upward to 150 or so. These critters were spooky and we could not get with in 500 yards before they would head for the Russia at warp speed. Not to be detoured I swung to the east hoping for better cover and more animals. About 8 miles from town I spotted a small bull hanging around a small lake and he was the one. 2 shots later he was down and we gutted him in record time as it was almost dark and at -28 you work fast just to stay alive!

We headed back only to get soo… stuck in a willow bottom that I had no business being in, 45 minutes of hard work and we were up and running again! My rookie must of thought I was nuts as we headed out a crossed the lakes and tundra. The poor kid proceeded to find new ways to get his new sno-go stuck. Some rookie trip! I guess the moral of the story is Walt will find you caribou but you will hate him in the morning with you sore back!

Meats on the grill!
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Last edited by Gulkana Rafting; 02-24-2008 at 22:02. Reason: spelling

Congrats on your bou'. Anyone been hunting the mulchatna herd yet? my friends flew several hundred miles today looking for a herd with enough animals to warrant setting up a camp, but to no avail. They saw maybe a dozen all total. Any hints on where they are would be great .