Thread: Ultimate Sheep Tent, Pack, SlpBag - Another Round

Default Ultimate Sheep Tent, Pack, SlpBag - Another Round

Ok, I know this has been done to death, and there's opinions and threads scattered all over the forum, but let's go over this one more time.

I am in the market for a sheep tent and pack that I can use on other hunts as well, such as moose, bear, caribou, etc.
    I am looking for the absolute lightest, toughest gear made that is perfectly setup for extreme, extended one/two man 5-10 day hunts.

Tent Specs: Roomy, I am 6'5 and want enough room for myself, gear, and possibly for two. Condensation must be none to minimal. Lightweight 5lbs and under. Rain/Wind proof, must be able to withstand our typical Alaska extreme weather conditions. If you could buy just one Alaska/Extreme back country tent that can be used in the mountains as well as other back country hunting trips what would it be?

Pack Specs: Ability to carry 5-10 days worth of backcountry gear, Lightweight, neighborhood of 8lbs or less, able to carry bow and rifle, tough as nails. Overall comfort (I'm leaning severely to the new Barney's pack that's been discussed if it is in the neighborhood of 8lbs, any additional information is appreciated).

Sleeping Bag: Ultra lightweight, rated 0-20 degrees, with ability to dissipate water if clothing worn while sleeping is damp. Need a bag long enough to fit 6'5 length.

Any other gear, that you are fanatic about taking on your extreme mountain and backcountry hunts feel free to list and discuss.

I am really tinkering with the idea of developing a website that deals exclusively with extreme backcountry hunting topics, with gear review, videos, forums, articles, etc. One place organized well, with complete and thorough information. Any ideas are always appreciated.

Thanks for the advice, discussion in advance, your opinions are always valued, well at least most of the time.
    Marc Theiler

Smile gear

I guess everyone agrees that this topic has been beat to death. However, I wanted to share my two cents: consider the north face line of tents. They have a new model, Spectrum that supposedly stood up to 136 mph winds. And I have the expedition model that while heavy withstood two feet of snow and jet engine winds for me and has my eternal confidence. The Mountain model is four season and tougher yet. With all of the tents on the market now adays its confusing. But be careful, they are saving weight by putting mesh screening in the tent and nothing sucks worse than being in high winds or near a glacier and having mesh screening under your rain fly. The cold air beats down on you all night. In my expedition, no mesh = no cold air. I carry it on fly in hunts. My sierra designs is painful near glaciers with all its mesh. When I put up the northface VE 25 I assure the occupants of a dry and comfortable nights sleep. I warn them when I put up the sierra designs... We gonna be cold...but it sure was light right?

As far as sleeping bags, I recently bought a highly rated bag rated as 40 degrees because it packed small as a grapefruit. Well, its colder than heck. I am trying to make it work, but wouldnt take it on a serious hunt. Find a synthetic bag rated below 30 and be comfortable.

On the backpack, I am waiting on my barneys camptrails to give out before buying a barneys, but why wait? I have seen several backpacks break under heavy loads and its not fun. Have a reliable pack...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default gear

Tent: Hilleberg

Pack: Barneys

Bag: Wiggys custom hunter

All great stuff, well worth the money and it will last!!

Default My extreme light-weight set up

Here's what I've got going for extended backcountry hunts. I don't think it fits with the parameters you listed but thought I'd throw it out as it's a lot different than the norm.

tent: Kifaru para-tarp. 16 oz with guy lines and titanium stakes. Room enough for one person and gear, two people in a pinch (no gear) but not recommended. It's got to be set-up properly to withstand high winds and even then it can be an adventure. But if you want ultra-lightweight...

Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering down with overfill. Rated to 5 degrees. Has a Gore dry-loft cover and weighs 2 lbs 4 oz. Sometimes I think I'm the only sheep hunter in the world using down. I know most here thin it's sacrilege, but i've thought it out and have my reasons.

Pack:Kifaru Longhunter. I made the swith to internal about 5 years ago and have never looked back. Better comfort, better mobility, more versatile and it can still handle 140 lb loads (though I'm not handling those loads too well anymore). Kifaru makes the best rifle holder I've seen. Weight is about 6.5 lbs.

Pack, sleeping bag and shelter at under 10 lbs.

I agree on the Kifaru longhunter pack. I don't have one of their shelters but will if I ever get the chance to go sheep hunting again.

Why do we keep hashing this out!...No matter what you got, theres always something better out there.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I'd much rather people talk about sheephunting backpacks than sheephunting locations! I guess I'm just selfish and think obtaining information has become too easy!!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Why do we keep hashing this out!...No matter what you got, theres always something better out there.

Maybe because this is a good way to find out about some of the BETTER things that are out there. Nothing says you HAVE to read these posts.

Tent: Hilleberg

Pack: Barney's

Sleeping bag: Integral designs , Marco Polo, Long (6'4"), 10 degree, 3 lbs. 13 oz..

Default Early and Late

I think that I have mentioned that I get one really, really, short early hunt and then I spread them personal days over labor day weekend. Early Black Diamond First Light (3lbs8oz) Dana Designs K2 External(7 lbs+) Integral Designs 20F(2lbs 10oz)-Broad Late Bibler Eldorado (4lbs 4oz) Dana Designs K2 External(7lbs+) Integral Designs 0F(3lbs 5oz) Broad Remember that I use the blue styro closed pads. cheap and light for both. Sincerely, Thomas

Thumbs up thoughts...

We float NW Alaska rivers each Fall and I upgraded my gear last year. I am 6'6" 310 lbs so I know the challenges you have with good gear (that fits). I have something that you should look at. This is the nicest bag and tent I have ever used. Super high quality and roomy (bag and tent). Read the specs. This bag and tent are incredibly packable. This was the most impressive part for me. I could not believe how little space they took up in the packs. Incredible quality and design on the tent. It is in a ballpark by itself in my opinion. Pricey, but more than worth it to me. I could not recommend this gear high enough.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/guiding_light.php

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ters&noImage=0
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.