Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats a good sheep gun?

Default Whats a good sheep gun?

I am going to be heading into the brooks range this fall and I am looking at trading in my .220 swift for a good sheep gun. What should I look for? I was thinking .243 or .270 but wasn't sure. Also how concerned should I be about the weight of the gun. I am going to be hiking in from the road and its going to be a trek. So I really want a light gun. I would take my .220 swift but it is heavy. Its a target model so I wouldn't haul it up a mountain.
    Thanks
    Carl

Default Rifle

There have been several such inquires about sheep rifles and calibers. The choice of calibers is a can of worms that can get very slipperry. The weight of the rifle makes a big difference, IF you intend to carry it in the mountains. The Tikka T3 Lite series is a good choice and is available in a wide choice of calibers. A mid range caliber from 270 WIN. to 300 Win Mag is nore than adaquate for the job you've chosen. These rifles are very accurate right from the box, the manufacturer claims less than 1MOA.
    That'a a lot less than minute of sheep.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

what is a good price on a tikka in 270? And anyone know what one would weigh in at loaded?

Default Weight

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    what is a good price on a tikka in 270? And anyone know what one would weigh in at loaded?
    It weighs 6lbs and 3 oz right from the box. 4 cartridges won't weigh that much. Scope weight would vary depending on brand and design.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

My new setup-

Tikka T3 Lite LH .270 Win- 6lb. 3oz.- $604 from Sportsmans
    Leupold Ultralight scope VXII 3x9x33 matte finish- 9.5oz- $330 retail, I got one for $285 off ebay.

Rifle, scope, ammo and sling all for under $900 and less than 7 pounds.

Good luck with the search- and for what its worth, all the sheep available off the Haul Road are small and most heavily concentrated on the south side of the pass!!

How about this, my wifes new rig. Remington 700 Alaskan TI 270 WSM.
    Only shot it a few times, but getting good groups with factory ammo. Just trying to fire form some brass and sight in the scope. Will work up some hand loads for it. Just under 7 lbs ready to hunt. Zeiss Conquest scope 3x9x40 1 inch tubes. Stick with good glass you might have to make a long shot.

Steve

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Stid- How much coin did you (or your wife) have to drop for the Zeiss scope? I have always been a leupold guy- for their price and because I've literally never had a problem- but I have Zeiss bino's and have been very happy with them and have often considered purchasing a Zeiss scope...

How's the recoil on that .270 wsm? Compared to a .270 win or .300 win mag?

The wife paid 500 bucks for the Zeiss on Base. I have several scopes and the Zeiss really pays for itself during LOW LIGHT conditions. The recoil on the 270 WSM is about the same as a 270 maybe just a little more, It does have some muzzle jump. Of course this is a 6 lb rifle. Sure is nice to carry and I'm sure the wife will loan it to me. LOL Not the highjack your thread. But you could use the ole buy the wife a rifle trick.... The Tikka would be a great choice (the wife did not like the stock) and a Kimber Montana.

Steve

Default Nice Rifle!

That's a Sweeeet Rifle! and the perfect caliber for sheep....I bet your even shootin' it for the wife also....I've used those buying tactics before but the wife was catching on to it.

Looks like your anxious for sheep season...do you have a countdown calender too, like Snyd does????

On the price of that Zeiss scope, check with Doug at Cameraland. I picked up a 3-9x40 for just under $400 with a full warranty.

I did try to use camerland, they were out of stock. The price difference was because the SS finish cost a 100 bucks more. You know the wife could not have a black scope on a SS rifle. Not after May, that would be a fashion no no. LOL

Steve

I have bought two new matte black 3x9x40 conquests on ebay for around $350 shipped. It can take a couple days to a couple weeks to finally win one at that price. They are great scopes for low light. They are just great scopes for the price range.

I bought my wife a camo stocked mod 70 300 wsm. I too, had to find a matching scope as she only wanted a camo scope for her camo rifle.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Sheep Rifle

Here's my Sheep Rifle (and Goat Rifle), shot it back in early Fall when the weather was nice in Ideal Conditions. Also a pic of my final 4-shot sight-in @200 yds. using Norma 130 Grain Noslers. It's a Nosler Custom 48 (270WSM) at 6lbs/13oz.(Total wt.) topped with a Leupold VX-III, 2.5x8x36...I'm still gonna try different factory loads (with Barnes bullets), and eventually work up to some handloads...Hope I score come August!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My sheep rifle is an older Model 70 in 270 that has a fluted bolt, Black T treated metal, custom painted Featherweight stock and wears a Leupopld Vari-X III 3.5x10x40 scope. I'd guess it weighs about 7.5 lbs or so.
    Wife has a beautiful Kimber 84M in 7mm-08, wood stock and wears a Leupold FX II in 6x36. It weighs about 6.25 lbs or so and both rifles wear Vero Vellini slings.
    My next rifle will be a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 and will be used exclusively for sheep. Can't go wrong wrong with any of these rifles.

Sweet setup K

Good luck this fall

Steve

Stainless 300 ultra Mag. Wow! With a good scope, lots of practice and a range finder this rifle can't be beat for all Alaska big game. 180 grain Trophy Bonded will kill anything in Alaska. A muzzle break helps with consistency.

Keep an eye out on ebay. I picked up my ss 4.5-14x50 zeiss conquest z-plex brand new for just under $600 to my door. Quite a discount from $800

Default .280 Hits 'Em Hard

Picking the best round for sheep is like debating the merits of supply side economics--there are a lot of pros and cons--you have to evaluate your own results. From what I've seen, the .280 drops sheep fast and solid--but so does the 30-06, the .308 and the .300 WSM. If you've ever watched a Lancaster Sheep Hunting Video, one of the best lines is "the .280 Hits 'Em Hard."

Default Lancaster video

Have it and seen it, its called "In the Guides Eye" , and in that Dall sheep hunt he had to shoot it three times to get it down...Hit 'em again, Hit'em again..."That .280 hits 'em hard eh"...too funny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast