Thread: Digging problem

Default Digging problem

I have a black lab/Australian Sheppard mix that is almost a year old. He is really smart on everything but digging. I live in Army Housing and can't have my dog digging up the back yard whenever he pleases. He gets plenty of attention and exercise but still digs. I have tried scolding him while I fill the hole back in, bury his head in the hole while filling it back in and also filled it in with water and pushed his head in it. I have used these methods with all other dogs I have had growing up and they worked just fine but the current dog does not learn that he can't dig.

Any suggestions?

TonyJoe

Default Marking

I had the same problem with my female. I fixed it by putting her on my males lead. She wouldn't dig where ever he had marked. But that may not work with your dog but it might be worth a try. Bring a friends dog over and let him pee in the spot where you dog usually digs. It may work. If you can get away with it without getting thrown in jail you might try making the spots yourself. Urine is kinda like private property to dogs.

Good luck.

Try putting one of his dumps in the hole. My dogs used to dig occasionally, and this seemed to work. Not sure why, but it did. I think burying his head is going to make him not trust you, but is utterly meaningless to the dog. He has NO IDEA why you are doing that.

You have about 1 second-literally- from the time a dog does something to discipline him for it. After that they do not compute. The army actually figured that out doing research on their dogs.

Doug

One of my training books does suggest placing the dog's feces in the hole, however that only keeps them from digging in that one spot. Another suggestion, from the book, is to make a specific spot where the dog may dig and only let him do it there. They suggest building a small sand box of sorts and you redirect him to that spot every time he starts to dig. Not sure if that is an option with military housing.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Keep there front nails trimmed short.....right to the base of the cuticle.
    It is the same as when we trim our finger nails too short. It will hurt too much to dig.

Default Digging

I tried putting his feces in the hole which did not work either. He just pulled it out and kept digging. I will try clipping his nails down and see if that stops him. As far as the sandbox, I don't know if I could build it in the back yard. I might be able to and will look into it. If that does not work I can always take byrd_hntr's suggestion and urinate in the backyard .

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tonyjoe

Default Try an E-Collar

An E-Collar will do the trick.. Either buy one or borrow one.. the only problem is after the dog gets the idea you may have to have a real e-collar on him or a dummy collar from that point on.

I did the pooh thing with my 8 year old yellow lab, which I have just put down due to cancer, so starting the proccess of looking for a new lab. Steve

The problem of dogs digging up the yard stems from one of 2 things. Boredom or trying to find a cool place to lay in when it's hot out.

If boredom is the issue then start taking your dog on runs. Long ones, not just around the block. Other things you can do to combat boredom are to start using some interactive toys and start feeding your dog from these. What I do with my 2 labs is I have about 10 kongs. Their food goes in the kongs in lots of different ways. Sometimes I soak their food in water then fill kongs and freeze them. Some I just put in some dry food and plug the hole with some peanut butter. And some are just their food only. I then hide or scatter the kongs throughout the yard. This provides some mental stimulation for the dog and will help in dealing with boredom.

Now if your dog is digging to get to the cool dirt because the dog is hot. Then you will need to get a kennel set up with a concrete floor so the dog can't dig.

I would not recommend an e-collar to someone who has already filled a hole with water and held their dogs head in it. That is cruelty to animals and is not an effective way to train a dog.

In my opinion your dog is bored and needs excercise. And that is where I would start if I was you. Excersise and some sort of mental stimulation like I described above. Good luck.

Default cayenne pepper

When my dog was a pup he kept digging up our yard in the same place (near the fence). We quickly solved this by sprinkling some powdered cayenne pepper in his digging area. That was the last time he was ever interested in digging up anything.