Thread: What to do about sights?

Default What to do about sights?

I have an action. (Lock) An FN MAuser. I have a Kreiger barrel on order. A number 4 radiused taper to be finished at 21 inches. It is .411" groove with a 1 in 14 twist. I have a McMillan stock on order and chose to go with the classic, straight with cheek piece, in their woodland camo pattern. ( could always repaint it to my favorite O.D. Green)

I will install a barrrel band front swivel mount and use the McMillan installed rear sling swivel stud. I plan to have it parkerized by a smith here in town. The question is what do I do for iron sights. I want sights, I must have sights, but do I go with standard on the barrel NECG's, the Brockman ghost ring rear and front post or shoudl I install a quarter rib with scope mounts for a scout scope and receiver ghost ring sights? Or some other option?

This is my 400 CQB rifle. The get down and tumble in the mud, the blood and the alder leaves and sort out the good guys from the bad. It has to be very rugged and quick to aim.

I have lock, stock and barrel on hand or on order and need to get the sights coming soon. I have bullets coming, four different weights from four different makers. I have dies ordered and sixmonths from now it will be a finished project, if all goes well. It is my 2007 project, only a little late. What do you think about sights?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I am partial to the NECG front banded Masterpiece sight and the Masterpiece rear sight. Just placed an order thru Brownells yesterday as a matter of fact for the sights for my Lott.
    The Masterpiece rear is adjustable for elevation and windage and the front Masterpiece banded sight has more optional front beads.
    Talley mounts with QD rings will hold the scope in place when I decide to scope it.
    I am not much of a fan of the NECG express sights as I like tinkering with loads and like the adjustability of there Masterpiece line.
    If you like quick to aim, add there fiber optic sight bead up front.
    Tennessee

I would go with a quarter ribe/scout with ghost rings setup myself. brockmans is a good setup for ghost rings and the 2.5x leupold scout scope is "best in class". I have used a pair of scouts pretty extensively and like the german post for close fast work and the regular plex for all around use. Its just extremely practicle setup. My 9.3 scout has original dog eared peep and gold bead front sights and scout setup with duplex scout scope. I have been very happy with this setup and even shot a moose at 280 yards with it two years ago.

Default Sights

OK, Murphy I don't know enough about you to reccommend sights for your rifle. Because I don't know your age, if you wear glasses ( for reading or everyday living). Plus a bunch of other factors.
    But, I like a Gibbs tropical front sight; not because its the one I see best but it's just CLASSIC and looks good on large bore rifles.
    I'm not really a three leaf kinda guy, but a tropical style rear is my choice. It should be mounted where the eye relief is right for your eyes and fast sight squisition.
    It's your rifle, your eyes, and your butt on the line, so make it count.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default get tough

I vote for the single rear express sight with a vertical white line and a big gold or white bead in the front. I have one of those Brockman pop up peep sights that I got for the pre-64 .375 H&H. It appears a little to fragile for me. That is not a slam on Jim Brockman, who I think is a first class gun guy. Is the mauser receiver drilled and tapped? I could make you a super deal on the peep I have. P.M. me if you want it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am almost blind I can still make out shapes in bright sun light if they are moving. Seriously though I do like a big white bead up front. I really like the sights on the new Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger. This old FN is drilled in what seems to be the standard Mauser hole spacing but for some odd reason the back two hole aren't tapped, just drilled. I have been looking at the Brockman pop up sight and I do like the idea. Also a ghost ring aperature does allow quick acquisition with these, ah...mature eyes but it really needs a scout scope to leave it in place. I really invision the rifle to be a in close, iron sighted rifle, primarily. I believe the front will be a NECG masterpiece banded with interchangable sight inserts. That will give me different heights and bead size or a square post. Also a fiber optic type is available. They even have what I call a leopard sight which is the pop up 5/32nd white bead, or moon sight. Full moon I'd say. I like them but seem to be not so rugged as some. It could be hooded also. The rear could be a Brockman/Talley base with backup aperature sight, either his pop up type or a clamp on to the base type.

338Mag, I might be interested in the pop up sight, will it fit std Mauser rear spacing?

T_bear, that is one tough looking P-17. I really like that. What is that finish? Was that rib machined by someone or was it bought for that barrel?

Brav01, I'm not familiar with the Gibbs tropical sight, is it just one shallow V? I would like that, similar to the Ruger 375 sight. I don't really need adjustable if I have a choice of front sight heights. If I do my math right in the calculations I should be close. I do just wear readers, and can still see rifle sights, if the barrel isn't too short.

Lots of choices here, good input. Thanks again guys, I think I have decided on the front but not the rest of it. Another delima! This rifle has become a lot of work.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

[quote=.[B]338 mag[/B].;217386] I have one of those Brockman pop up peep sights that I got for the pre-64 .375 H&H. It appears a little to fragile for me.

I was considering a Brockman Pop up peep on a Kimber. I wondered how strong it is. Is the peep solid in the up position? I also wondered if the base is too high to get a good low mounted scope? Any other specific info would be great.

Default sourdough front blade

A sourdough blade with a white insert is much tougher than any bead set-up . Brownell's still sells them , they are tough .

A machinist/gunsmith I know made me the coolest intregal peepsight for my 6.5x55. I don't have a photo, so I'll try to explain this.

He drilled and tapped the back of a standard weaver mount for a piece of flat stock that sticks up just above the "trough" in the mount. He then calculated the location for the peep hole based on the length of barrel and the height of the front sight. He cut the whole thing out on a high precision computerized milling machine.

Mine shot perfect the first time. However, if it doesn't, you shoot a group with the peep and take the gun and target back to him. He then cuts out a whole new sight with the hole moved say 0.001" left and 0.002" up. A fairly time consuming "adjustment" but it usually only has to be done once.

I now have bomb proof peep sight that is invisible behind the scope rings and shoots to POA at 240 yds.

It's not exactly an option for everybody, but if you know a well equiped gunsmith, it's much tougher and more reliable than a "take-off" or pop-up type sight. I like it.

Yellowknife

Default Peep sight

Murphy,
    The Brockman's/Talley peep sight I have has .440 rear hole spacing. A rather odd spacing that is on some pre-64 .375's. 2 tiny screws hold the aperture in place and you loosen them for adjustment. Not the most rigid set up I have seen. I also like the iron sights on the .375 Ruger African. P.M. me if you want more info on my sight.

murphy-

The p17 is hard chromed, called "metal life" finish or something like that. It has held up very well so far. The front base was a standard weaver base that was ground to fit the back of the mount and the front sits on a bed of agra glass. Its not the pretties setup but has worked very well so far. One of these days I'll have Stan Jackson make a nicer scout mount for me.

As to the brockman pop up peep. I really like the two that I have on my rifles. I have one on a 458 Lott and a 375 H&H. They both have held up very well, I don't see any durablilty concerns, they are well protected by the scope most of the time anyway. The one on my 375 has lived thru 3 years of fairly hard use and haven't change zero any. The recoil that this rifle generates is a real test of materials, my clumbsy nature is another one. Believe me if this sight wasn't durable I would have broken it by now.

Here are my two brockman equiped rifles..

The first one is a Winchester 70 classic that I had extreme rifle works in palmer do a complete lightweight job on. They took off all excess metal, cut the barrel at 20", fluted bolt, turned down the barel, shaved the action in a few spots, and dropped it in a MPI ultra light stock. Without the scope it weighs right at 6lbs 4oz. I put a white outlined tritium bead front sight and the brockman pop up peep. I did have a leupold VxIII 1.5-5x illuminated for the last three years but just switched to a ziess 3-9x40 conquest. I put the Leupy on my 458 Lott. This rifle recoils fairly briskly but carries like a dream. With a lot of concentration it will shoot some extremely small groups with federal classic 270gr RN ammo, and consistanly does under 1.5" for everything else I have shot out of it, mostly 260 accubond and 300gr partitions. The white/glow bead and peep are perfectly aligned when you bring it up, very fast and great for close up work.

This is the same bead that I have on my 375, this pic was of my guide gun.
    Last edited by Thebear_78; 02-23-2008 at 23:23. Reason: found a typo

The second is a 458 Lott built on a winchester classic action by Stan Jackson. I dropped it into an accuracy inovations stock and put the brockman popup peep with a sourdough front blade. I put the leupy 1.5-5x Illuminated on it. It shoots like a *****cat compared to the 375. It weighs in right at 10.5lbs with the scope. This Peep was the 'ghost ring" type without the screw in appature peice like on the first one. I kind of like the first one better but this one still does quite well. I haven't had a chance to really put this thru its paces yet but in the 120 rounds I've shot out of it so far this year it has proven very accurate and 100 yard shots with the peeps are pretty easy. Stan really knows how to screw together a gun!

100 yard 5 shot group with the peep sites

I'll just add one other quick thing about front sights for peeps. I find if much easy to aim precisely with either a flat top blade like the sourdough, or the XS sight systems with the white center line. It is just much easier to aim than the larger beads.

thread resurrection from the dead.......take 3:

wow, wasn't even a forum member here when this thread was created.

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience (currently) with this brockman pop-up peep sight? I just had my second williams folding sight fail me.....time for dah brockman's peep.