Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Lightweight Insulating Jacket for Backpack hunts

Default Good Lightweight Insulating Jacket for Backpack hunts

I was turned onto this jacket and thought I'd post it here so someone could take advantage of the sale also. Its like down but its not down its synthetic and it compresses to almost nothing. Am thinking that combined with performance underwear and raingear it would work well for hunts where weight is a concern and with it being on sale how could a guy go wrong. Comes with its own stuff sack and it fits in it loosely at 6"x9" and can be compressed more.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=112067

Looks pretty similar to Barneys "Brooks Range Jacket", but this one seems like a pretty good deal.

Take a look at the Barren Ground Jacket.

Taylor

Any idea on the weight?

The requirement for a jacket is different when moving than when sitting. Layering is key. Fleece layers for the walk and a GoreTex shell over the fleece when I stop. Lightweight and very adjustable. That's the definitive answer for me.

Default cabelas jacket

That jacket looks pretty deceiving, the price is telling me that it might not meet our durability specs...it would probably be a one trip, one hunt jacket, who knows?

I think Cub is our forum gearhead and he is going to test all these new products to see if they meet specs...hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    ...I think Cub is our forum gearhead and he is going to test all these new products to see if they meet specs...hehehe
    yup....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

That jacket looks pretty deceiving, the price is telling me that it might not meet our durability specs...it would probably be a one trip, one hunt jacket, who knows?
    For the intended use of this jacket durability isn't really a factor. This is more for hunts where weight is real critical and you might want that extra insulating layer that weighs nothing, compresses to nothing and can be donned quickly, like under your rain gear or another wind stopping shell. Kind of like the Powder Puff vests and jackets and some of the others made my Mountain Hardwear and Mont-Bell but doesn't cost $150+ dollars. The guy who turned me on to it said it works great and compresses to near nothing yet provides a great deal of extra warmth. I picked up one of these Cabelas T.E.F. 60 jackets on sale last year and used it for my sheep hunt and on Kodiak and for $60 I'd say its hard to beat.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l&N=4887&Nty=1

Sometimes a guy can stumble on some cool gear that dont break the bank, and oh yeah, I am good at finding it and trying it, its a slight obsession!!....grin

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    yup....
    Blame shifter!!!!! You hold the high mark for spending others peoples money snyd Alaskacub is a rookie in comparison. I would pick this up but I allready have a marmaloft liner for my marmot thunder ridge jacket that will fill the bill just as well with an extra small compression sack.

No kidding, what was it a month ago he started the Hilleberg tent thread, I have been victim to the paralysis of analysis ever snce on which Hilleberg I want, Perry's sneaky like that! But hey, its winter, what the heck else is there to do besides buy stuff for the coming year?

I'll second AlaskaCub's remarks on the Cabela's TEF 60 fleece jacket. Though I have not put it through 10 straight days of constant rain on a backcountry expedition yet, it has been a great jacket for layering this winter.

Default great stuff

Bought one for my hunting buddy... He really likes it... Cub is right in his description.
    It's a great deal at that price...

Recently ran across a REI version called the Spruce Run jacket. It has zip off sleeves which was cool.

Barren Ground jacket is a good option as well...

The new high tech insulated stuff is lighter, more compressable and warmer (ounce for ounce) than fleece.

Thumbs up Great value!

I think Cub is our forum gearhead and he is going to test all these new products to see if they meet specs...hehehe
    I have one and have been wearing it all winter as my daily jacket. I bought it with the intent to wear it in the mountains, but I go to it every morning. Worn under rain gear I think it will work great up in the mountains. It seems to b put together quite well. I need an XL tall and it fits my 37" sleeve length which is a real plus. A lot of the specialty gear does not fit us long limbed fellas and if it does you have to pay a premium price. This is fine. You gotta pay to play, but this jacket really is a good vule. In fact I will be ordering a new one as a spare just in case the big C decides to discontinue this jacket.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well I got the Cabelas insulating jacket in that I posted above and I have to say its pretty sweet. Its very lighweight and it fits quite well. I could definately see ways to lighten it up but as is its a great accessory insulating layer. I dont have a light enough scale to weight it but it doesn't weigh much. Here is a pic of it stuffed into its own built in pocket. I could easily compress it to probably 1/2 of what it looks like in the pics with a small nylon compression sack. I think this little coat will definately have its place in my clohing arsenal for backpack hunts and for what $60 I'd say its hard to beat!

Default jacket

i've had one for over a yr now...worn on the slope @ -40F...great jacket for its weight to warmth ratio...but doesn't breathe worth a darn, don't use under another garmet or if u plan on excersising, it just soaks up the moisture..not something i'd want to put my life on the line with, but for hanging around or casual use, can't beat it

Its definately too warm to hike in, though its suprising that it is as warm as it is for how light it is. But like I said earlier, this isn't for wearing when your hiking, its just to layer up when your not moving around to take the chill off, especially for the high country where the wind blows and the temps are cooler and your glued to a spotting scope for several hours. And its small enough and light enough to throw in the pack for the day on the occassion that you have to bivy overnight. I wore it today while cutting some trees down around the house running a chainsaw and even with the nip today cuz of the winds it was suprisingly warm.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Well I got the Cabelas insulating jacket in that I posted above and I have to say its pretty sweet. Its very lighweight and it fits quite well. I could definately see ways to lighten it up but as is its a great accessory insulating layer. I dont have a light enough scale to weight it but it doesn't weigh much. Here is a pic of it stuffed into its own built in pocket. I could easily compress it to probably 1/2 of what it looks like in the pics with a small nylon compression sack. I think this little coat will definately have its place in my clohing arsenal for backpack hunts and for what $60 I'd say its hard to beat!

Looks great. Is that the regular or the long? How tall are you?

Reg, I am 5' 9"

Default Weight?

Can anyone quantify "lightweight" in this case? Cabelas doesn't list a weight, and I am suspect there is probably a reason.

Default 16oz...

The one I bought by buddy for Christmas was a x-large/reg...

I don't recall for a fact but seem to remember it was about 16oz...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast