Thread: Paying for Fishing trips ?

Default Paying for Fishing trips ?

Everyone has there own methods for paying the summer fuel costs. How do you folks do it?

For my wife and I we developed the habit of taking all our $1 bills out of our wallets when we come home from shopping and put them in an envelope and save them over the winter. I do admit to pulling out a $5 to pay for something when I have smaller bills in my pocket just to add more to the "fund". So far we have manged to save enough during the off season that we never had to take money "out of pocket" to fund our summer addiction. It almost seems like we can fish for free each summer since the savings is spread out over such a long period of time.

The only down side is the gas station employes have learned to dislike me when it comes time to paying the pump bill.

Oh, and one more hint, don't tell your better half where the fund is stored or it can quickly disappear even during the off season Just kidding of course.
    Tennessee

Default Boat gas.

Well what a coincidence, I am working extra overtime right now to pay for boat gas and any needed repairs this spring. So other then working more hours to get extra money I don’t have any system for putting money aside. I hate working over in the summer.

I make the lucky lady work harder during the winter to pay for fuel
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Bought a car that gets 30mpg, drive it instead of the pickup which gets 10-12mpg. Savings adds up over the year and easily covered the $600 purchase price of the car. Help pays for gas and other items which have went up because of the gas price increase.

Default Fuel expenses.

Well i use a credit card for most of my expenses so the one dollar thing wouldnt get me far during fishing/boating season. I have 2-25 gallon saddle tanks and a 150hp jet unit. As far as the truck goes its a diesel and does pretty well considering the wieght of my boat and truck camper together. Get about 16+ mpg while loaded with gear and 6 in the family. Most of my trips are with only 2-3 people. I have two jobs though and one of them is as a weekend warrior for the National Guard so i have two seperate accounts and use my guard money for fuel costs, if the wife hasn't dipped to far into it. Then it goes to plan- B.

Top Ramon anyone????

I never save enough if at all so I end up having to suck it up in other areas over the summer.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Spend a Fortune

Spend a small fortune buying a boat, a sportscar equivalent for motors, jump through countless state bureaucratic hoops, and pray to Jehovah, Buddha, Ali ah, and who ever else you want to, that nothing goes wrong in the season and that you are able to make enough money to pay the bills and do a few hunting trips.

Worth every penny... Can't wait for the upcoming season!
    Marc Theiler

Talking

I'm using the oars I carved last winter to get out of the harbor, and I will use the sail I sewed this winter once I'm out.

Talking

Spoiled Ones plaque on his new GlacierCraft says it best "This boat runs on gas not thanks"

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Spoiled Ones plaque on his new GlacierCraft says it best "This boat runs on gas not thanks"

Sobie2
    I agree! I have the boat, pay for a season launch pass, and seasonal parking. Passengers can and will pay the fuel bill. While out with the family this year, I think we will be exploring a lot of those places close to port. With the old hewescraft 200 miles on the water over a weekend was not uncommon. Not gonna happen much with the new boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

When im not on the slope I smoke fish for some gas money. The wife keeps the pay check and I cruse on salmon strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Everyone has there own methods for paying the summer fuel costs. How do you folks do it?

For my wife and I we developed the habit of taking all our $1 bills out of our wallets when we come home from shopping and put them in an envelope and save them over the winter. I do admit to pulling out a $5 to pay for something when I have smaller bills in my pocket just to add more to the "fund". So far we have manged to save enough during the off season that we never had to take money "out of pocket" to fund our summer addiction. It almost seems like we can fish for free each summer since the savings is spread out over such a long period of time.

The only down side is the gas station employes have learned to dislike me when it comes time to paying the pump bill.

Oh, and one more hint, don't tell your better half where the fund is stored or it can quickly disappear even during the off season Just kidding of course.
    That`s exactly what I do for the fun stuff.

Default Here's a stunner...

I work my ***** off in the winter and play in the summer !!!

There ain't no use in worrying about gas prices--they aren't going down any time soon! As it relates to saving money...I don't smoke, drink too often, use drugs, or chase wild women (being married, of course). That makes fishing and hunting some of the cheapest things that I do!

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    As it relates to saving money...I don't smoke, drink too often, use drugs, or chase wild women (being married, of course). That makes fishing and hunting some of the cheapest things that I do!
    HA HA HA HA HA HA! Never heard it put that way. I like it!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Hopefully

I will be free from unsecured debt this year, and from next year on the oil companies can have thier dividend back one tank of gas at a time. That's my dream anyway.. For now, I just work as much overtime as I can without getting whined at by my boss..

Chris

I invested in a boat that plays dual roles around the house to save money for fuel

Wife wants a nice table. I give her what she wants.....

WTB nice anchor lamp!

Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

The winters up here are long so I build up quite a bit of extra money for gas. When it starts to ge close to summer and durring the summer I do not go out to eat any more. My wife says I do not where the kitchen is so that is why I eat out when I am not at work and the wife and kids are in school. i will be buying a prop for my boat this summer so that should really save on fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Bought a car that gets 30mpg, drive it instead of the pickup which gets 10-12mpg. Savings adds up over the year and easily covered the $600 purchase price of the car. Help pays for gas and other items which have went up because of the gas price increase.
    Right on, I park the F250 in the winter and drive my 83 Datsun 2 wheel driver 4 banger around town; it fits in the garage and gets great mileage. In the summer the Aprilia Scarabeo 500cc scooter comes out getting better then 45mpg, and the F250 is used primarily as tow vehicle. Everyone’s gots their priorities….
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

well since I'm a journeyman plumber i usually do side jobs but since hearing that gas might be $4 a gallon by the end of may I guess the wife will need to get out on 4th and make that money