Thread: 34' Aluminum Boat

Default 34' Aluminum Boat

Was looking at a Hatco marine "gulf explorer" 34" with TWIN Volvo diesels. 310 HP each. Any comments about the pros/cons of an aluminum in Alaskan waters and isn't this a lot of HP for a 34' boat?

How much does the boat weigh "wet" with passangers and gear?

The "Dan Orion" in Valdez is this very boat.

www.orioncharters.com

That's her. Don't have any idea as to the weight. But I would imagine its ligher than its peers being aluminum and all. The guy said it'll run at 40 knots.

Those charter guys like to get to where they are going fast. Makes for more fishing time. I don't know if a boat like that can have too much power!? When we go out on a charter boat it handles great and those big deisels make short work of a usually long trip. This is with 7 people and gear. Nice boats!

Been on a couple of them powered by twin 225 outboards, nice boats. Also been on a smaller one 28-29' that Hatco built first that has a single Yanmar in it. I think it is 330hp and it moves really well. Too much hp is easy to control my not pushing the throttles to the stops, too little hp is expensive to correct.

Been on a couple of them powered by twin 225 outboards, nice boats. Also been on a smaller one 28-29' that Hatco built first that has a single Yanmar in it. I think it is 330hp and it moves really well. Too much hp is easy to control my not pushing the throttles to the stops, too little hp is expensive to correct.

Default Nice boat

I've fished from the Dan Orion and it's definitely a NICE boat. Dave wasted no time getting where he's going either. I don't doubt the 40+ knots, as we were running somewhere around 33-34 (if I remember correctly) and it didn't seem like it was having any problems. It was pretty calm when we went out, I definetly wouldn't want to be going that fast on anything other than calm water.

The ride did get a little rough once we hit the gulf, but wasn't too bad after slowing down a bit. We were headed for Middleton, so the extra power/speed was a definite plus for being able to get out there as quickly as possible and fish a little later. I think we passed almost every other charter on the way home.

I believe there are other boats running the same engine set-up but with older models (not as much hp, i believe 270 hp each), such as NSanity of Sanity Charters. That's another nice boat (not an aluminum though), and the HP seemed well worth it on that 34'er too!

Those are both charter boats though, which are fishing 6 people with good size decks and carrying pretty heavy loads. Not sure I'd go that big for a personal boat, unless I could afford it. But I don't see $150-250K for a boat in my near future......

AK_BigO

Smile Aerohead Boats

We looked at Hatco earlier in the year. I really wanted to keep the money in Alaska but I think Kevin got a little too busy and stopped returning phone calls. So, I thought if this is what it's like before he gets my money then ....

SO we went to Washington and test drove an Aerohead 25' w/ twin 200 Mercury Verado's. I wrote a review on the old forum. We are getting a 30' w/ 10' 6" beam with twin 250 Mercury Verado's. The boat should be done in early December. I have a basic interior to match the Hatco with zolatone paint, dinette, marine head w/ hot water heater, Wallas wall heater, etc. Feel free to PM me for more info and their website is www.aeroheadboats.com

Doug

Talking Pros/Cons

I'm not an Alumi..Fan, I like the tupperware/glass boats. They have a much cleaner look. But if your planning on doing any time on the beaches with it well, I'd say Alimu.. holds up better under those condtions.
    I must say that having that much power is a good thing as opposed to not having enough. You can always lay off the throttle if your not comfortable. As for fuel consuption you may want to ask about how many gallons an hours she's running at right now, even so you ten times better to have diesels than gas on the ocean. Good luck and shoot a PM if you any other Q's.