Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Todays ADN

Default From Todays ADN

Nice to see!! A little jail time would be nice too!

Ice fisherman issued $7,270 fine

Anchorage Daily News
    Published: February 21st, 2008 12:18 AM
    Last Modified: February 21st, 2008 01:38 AM
    A man accused of catching hundreds of fish over the limit while ice fishing at Mirror Lake has been cited and ordered to pay thousands of dollars, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Troopers got a tip Monday that someone was taking more than the legal limit of fish and transporting them in a 2003 white Ford Explorer, troopers said.
    Troopers sighted the vehicle near the Muldoon Road exit on the Glenn Highway and stopped its driver, Choong Il Park, 68, who was in possession of 288 salmon and 70 rainbow trout above the limit, according to troopers.

Park's fishing gear was seized and he was issued a citation for $7,270, troopers said.

Default Powerful...

That was quite the message. I haven't violated since I was 22 years of age, and in that circumstance I came so close to being busted that I swore to the Almighty never again.

This guy deserved the fine...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Was it enough?

That was a whopping fine, for sure. However, I did the math. $20 a fish over the limit. Is that a strong enough message? If I keep 1 fish over the limit, I think the fine is between $100-300. Here, the magnitude of the crime increased, there is clearly zero regard to the rules governing the fishery, yet the severity (relative to the amount) of the fine decreased. Is that justice? He stole 28.8 full limits of salmon from other anglers, and 14 full limits of rainbows. Disgusting.

The arcticle says that his fishing equipment was seized but does not say if they took his truck as well. I would hope that they did.

WOW that is allot of fish and allot of money...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up Kudos to the tipster!

Whoever let the troopers know about this deserves some kudos in my book! Who know how long this guy has been doing this crap.

Have a nice day!

How about some jail time or community service in addition to the fine.

Slap on the wrist if you ask me. This guy is selling this fish somewhere, and will go and catch that many more to make up for the "time he got caught"......this guy needs a way bigger fine and a couple years in the slammer.

Default Something Is Fishy

There is no doubt in my mind that he was over the limit.... but lets do the math. He was reportedly stopped with 280 some odd fish IN POSESSION. By my calculations that would take catching a fish every second for 5.9 hours!

My best days in Bristol Bay and the Russian Far East didn't produce fish like that and I have a hard time believing that Mirrow Lake did..... If this is true, I'll pay his fine for his bait recipet!

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that he was over the limit.... but lets do the math. He was reportedly stopped with 280 some odd fish IN POSESSION. By my calculations that would take catching a fish every second for 5.9 hours!

My best days in Bristol Bay and the Russian Far East didn't produce fish like that and I have a hard time believing that Mirrow Lake did..... If this is true, I'll pay his fine for his bait recipet!
    1/minute but it is still a big #

Default Confiscate his truck

The troopers should definitely confiscate his truck if he had the fish in it when he was pulled over. He used it just like he used his fishing gear. Try poaching in a plane and see if the troopers hesitate.

He might have been using a herring rig with a dozen hooks on it.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

bout time they get one of those guys...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There were a huge mess of itsy bitsy trout and salmon stocked in Mirror last summer. Nothing of any real catchable size. Last summer, you could toss a small fly out there and it was a mad dash by dozens of these little guys to see who could get caught. A fish every cast. My kids both enjoyed it for a few fish, and then we moved on to bigger and better things. Kept nothing. Biggest was probably 3 or 4 inches. I can imagine getting in an ice fishing spot where these are congregated and probably pulling them in by the bucket load with shrimp. I don't doubt that is what he was doing.

Glad he was caught. Hope he lost the vehicle as well.

Default Impressive

Man, that's a good day of fishing! Why anyone would do that I don't know. 350 fish over the limit in one day??? What would a guy do with all that anyway? That's just crazy.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

It seems to me the people who catch hundreds of stockers at a time are generally poorer looking philipino folks, I'd assume they freeze them and eat them.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    That was a whopping fine, for sure. However, I did the math. $20 a fish over the limit. Is that a strong enough message?............
    Yeah, if it's enforced.

.........If I keep 1 fish over the limit, I think the fine is between $100-300. Here, the magnitude of the crime increased, there is clearly zero regard to the rules governing the fishery, yet the severity (relative to the amount) of the fine decreased. Is that justice? He stole 28.8 full limits of salmon from other anglers, and 14 full limits of rainbows. Disgusting.
    If the state is successful in bringing in $7,270 in fines without spending $20,000 to get it, I'll be duly impressed.

No sense fining the scum $727,000 in fines. He doesn't have it, and obviously never will.

I'd guess these end up feeding households that have way more occupants than you can imagine. Or they end up going into a store or restaurant. Then again this guy has a history with the troopers. Google him and you'll find his name with another violation at Ship Creek with Kings:

I'm hoping this is our new F&G Trooper that took over the Anchorage area last year. Don't get me wrong - I've met him and I like this guy - and believe he won't let any of these sort of violations slide. Go get'em F&G Troopers! It's time we end this sort of crap!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-24-2008 at 08:54. Reason: Deleated Trooper blog per rules.

Sounds like he may be kin to the guy that was killing all those black bears over in the Sound for their gall bladders....... Take everything they have then deport the SOB's.

Default No Respect=No Truck

If this is the guys second time being caught in one years time frame it shows he has no respect for F&G regulations, or alaska resources.........Take his truck so he has to ride his bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast