Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2008 SWT Skandic

Default The 2008 SWT Skandic

Anybody have any opinion about the 2008? Any problems? Or are they a good machine?

I have the 2007 SWT Skandic V-800 Great machine!
    2007 Ocean Pro HT/ET, 150 Yamaha, Valdez,Ak, "Un-Reel"

Very Nice! I pick mine up Sat. Been a yr now What you think? what to watch for? What did you put under the action packer to keep level when you took the pass. seat off? Thanks Jeff

Did you get an '09? My partner built an aluminum box to level out the rack area for a tote and two 2.5 gallon gas jugs. Moved the backrest forward also. He just shelved the passenger seat in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Koyukuk View Post
    Anybody have any opinion about the 2008? Any problems? Or are they a good machine?

It is a piece of junk, better sell it to me, while you can. I have had three SWT in the last 9 years. I just picked up the last 2009 in Homer three weeks ago. This is my first four stroke. The one thing I am not happy about is the first oil change @ 10 hours or 300 miles must be done at a Ski-doo dealer. Which means two trips to Los Anchorage....

Is the 08' a 550 Fan or V-800 ???

This 09' is a bit nose heavy, but that will be somewhat adjustable.

Yes 09, No More 550,s This will be my first 4 stroke. Have friends who have them. been on there,s around the block.Bit different for sure.no extended trips. yet!I guess get used to that sound, After 45yrs of 2 strokes just feels funny different power band so forth. Looking input of owners. Read everything i could on the Doo talk form. been waiting 2 yrs to work out some of the bugs. No drain hole for the plug Gotta use suck tube. Don,t tip over the the left oil come out of vent and ,down on belt. lower left relay don,t start -0 weather pull it. warm it up. little guides underneath so the shock poles doesn,t eat into track.Watch vent tube gas tank thats why they had couple fires in them. Watch whare timing chains. Did i miss anythig?? Any input good or bad. I am aware they are a beast, I,m not new to that at all. Last new machine i bought 17 yrs ago 6300.00 new, This one little more!! I think my hand was shaking trying to write the CK!. Thanks for the replys. See you out there!

Before you go out on a trip make sure the fan works. 2 friends bought new SWT's this year and the dealer did not program the fan to come on. Get in the habit of parking in neutral and also shifting into neutral when getting off when it's running. Real touchy throttle and low clutch engagement can lead to trouble. Can't wait til I can afford one. Got a winch yet?

Thanks, almost forgot that one i remember reading that to, thanks for the reminder. Which dealer
    was it?? Hopefully the tec. has learned from that!This one coming CC. Eagle River. Park and Stop in neutral.good one i do that for my 6wheeler also. Ya, that throttle i can see from little time on my buddies is going to take some time getting used to, like its on then off no free wheeling. Have to kinda hold your thumb there in place let down slower.Engine braking..... Yamaha is worse, about went over the windshield first time i hit the gas than let off on it! No winch, Do carry pack mule come along though,100 Ft. 1/2 in.. Only used once. Got to close to a pine tree, day dreaming puff went in sideways had a hole chest high. broke my shift handle off trying to get to revearse. Had to snowshoe path out. used the come along, keep from rolling, walked it out. I think i made that sound to easy it took couple hours. Thanks for the tips!!!

Couldnt get ours started at -50 had to take battery out and warm up as well as warm the engine compartment up for 30 min. with a buddy heater. The sleds with PULL cords started.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Couldnt get ours started at -50 had to take battery out and warm up as well as warm the engine compartment up for 30 min. with a buddy heater. The sleds with PULL cords started.
    I think you just broke my heart. I have been afraid of hearing that first hand. I may get a Tundra LT 550 Fan for play.....and keep the SWT just for Homestead work.

-50... Far as i go at that temp. is to the wood pile to get another log for the fire! Been there, done that,No fun whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Thanks, almost forgot that one i remember reading that to, thanks for the reminder. Which dealer
    was it?? Hopefully the tec. has learned from that!This one coming CC. Eagle River.
    PM sent to ya.

Default V-800

I was riding 2 up with my wife (don't do that a lot) on our 09 V-800 Tundra. As we were driving I said to her: "Hey guess what ... we're talking to each other!" You can carry on a conversation while riding these quiet 4-strokes. Can only do that riding double on a 2-stoke if you are good at screaming, or have radios.

So SWTs don't have pull cords either. Dang ... one day the 4-stoke w/no pull chord situation will likely hit me hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    So SWTs don't have pull cords either. Dang ... one day the 4-stoke w/no pull chord situation will likely hit me hard.
    I was going to build a short set of jumper cables, to jump off off someone Else's machine. Now I think I'll either get a small jump'pack or just carry a spare battery in the survival gear bag that comes into the cabin for warmth.

Got machine Sat. put about 100 miles on it. Awsome in powder. No issues ran perfect, had to play with the head light shined about 2 ft in front of me. And that Back Rack Just don,t know what to think about that. Bigger than LX Polaris but unusable ( can,t put my tub in there because of the angle) unless you take the Buddy seat off. Going to miss the under seat storage, 1/2 what it was. Nice and smooth, quiet. Plenty of power.

I knew I forgot something. All the Yeti chassis machines will have the headlight pointing to the ground when new. It's been like that since '05. You can screw it in til it bottoms out on the nylok nut in there and that will usually be adjusted good enough. I took a 1/4 drive deep socket (10mm) and ran the nut in til the socket wouldn't reach anymore. Then you can really pick the beam up! I also trimmed the bolt after adjusting it in case I rolled over the bolt wouldn't be sticking way out to hurt anything.

Take the taillight off the rack and cut off the mount. It sticks into the rack area wasting about 4" of space. Throw a small LED taillight on the rack tube and call it good.

I took the tail off but the wires are coming from inside tube it has holes so you could mount to the out side but what to do with the wires. My light has a big turn knob i tightened all way down but would like another 4-5 turns to get up where i need to be. I could throw about 10 gal fuel there than be just right.

What's the issue with the wires? Try the socket trick I mentioned. That will get you the extra adjustment on the light.

I remove the Tail light on all of my SUV's and SWT's. I just use a new blade in a hacksaw. Then duck tape the the wires to the "BOTTOM" of the top bar. Then wrap that with electric tape. I don't need a tail light. If you were worried about getting run over at night, just wrap the top rail with DOT reflective tape.

OK here,s what i did, All for my rubber maid rough tote 18gal size. Moved tail light mount, to outside this machine is not welded just unbolt move to rear side of rack and change wires around. gained good 3" on the inside. Then because of funky angle of buddy back rest, Just left bottem bolts in place and moved back rest fwd. til more up right, and then added another hole, Made it ajustable. worked perfect. build small 3" box to level the bottem of rack That should do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast