Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau vs Alaska

Default Juneau vs Alaska

Hey all, I just posted the longest question know to man on another thread so I apologize for that.

Is there a big difference when it comes the amount of fish caught between Juneau and Anchorage?

I mean, when I charted out in Vancouver Island, BC I would catch probably twice the amount of fish I caught out in Washington state, yet they are only 3 hours drive apart.

Is there such a difference between Juneau and Anchorage? Or are they both the same.

Im sorry Im such a newbie. Im just visiting for 2 months and will spend all my money on fishing, so I need to figure my Sh*t out.

Thanks guys

The name of your thread, Juneau VS Alaska (as strange as it sounds at first) could become a major headline in the next few years if they move the capital. Unknown to you, you may have just started a statewide slogan. HAHA.

On the other hand, Juneau fishing can be good and can be REALLY bad. Seems to me you have more options, as far as places to fish, out of Anchorage, but you cant beat SEAK for scenery and good times. I wouldnt trade it for Anchorage. Just my .02 cents.

haha! I didnt know that!

SEAK? south east alaska? Or is that a city?

Im going to be in Anchorage for work anyways so really what Im wondering is:

Where do I need to go to get into some really good fishing? Can I just stay in Anchorage or are there some really wicked places to charter out of that are just WAY better than anchorage? Im more than willing to travel to get to these places.

Cant tell ya much about Anchorage except it is a city and I dont do cities any bigger than Juneau. I would suggest the Kenai peninsula though and I think you will here it often on here. From what I know, Homer and Seward are WAY WAY better than anywhere near Anchorage so try looking for places there. I think you would enjoy ALASKA better in one of those places as well.

SEAK is southeast Alaska and it is pretty cool. There are plenty of fish to catch if you go out to FISH not just to catch, if you know what I mean.

If you are truly willing to travel, you will have ZERO problems getting good fishing anywhere you fly into up here. BUT, most people dont understand the whole traveling issue until they get up here. This place is huge and you wont want to leave, bank on that.

Default sodabiscuit

I like your handle, sodabiscuit.

Anchorage isn't a fishing port, per se, but perhaps you mean Southcentral. You will find some great fresh water opportunities in and outside Anchorage especially if you compare it to the evergreen state. The saltwater isn't too far away and you will stay much drier than you would in Juneau.

EPW....I see where AMHS cut your ferry service way back with their 08 summer operating plan. That will save some money to go towards getting the capitol moved.

Oh yeah, thats pretty sweet as well.

I just wrote this on another thread I started: 2 months in Alaska will feel like 2 days for me, so If I can travel and take in the sights while heading to productive fishing grounds, Ill be in heaven.

So, am I correct in assuming that South Central will be just as good fishing-wise, but that visiting SEAK is well worth it just for the experience?

Because no matter what, Im going to see Juneau. I dont care how much money I have, or time, or work I have to do...IM GOING TO JUNEAU!

And what is this fish I read about...the freshwater Tarpon?? Inconnu? What is this fish, and where can I find his home??

By the way guys, this is awesome that you're helping me out like this. I can honestly say there is not a place on earth that I would rather visit than Alaska, so thanks a million to all who contribute to this thread.

Default Sheefish...

"And what is this fish I read about...the freshwater Tarpon?? Inconnu?"

Commonly known in NW Alaska as sheefish. They are great sport and great eating. The Kobuk River is definately a hot spot for them. If you ever get a chance to fish for them, go for it. A unique and rewarding trip will be had. The Kobuk is a beautiful float and is on my "to do list". NW Alaska has lots to offer without the crowds seen elsewhere. It will spoil you. We float rivers up there each Fall fly fishing for dollies. Amazing place!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Ahhh yes Connies (Tarpon of the Tundra) gotta love em. In the NWT we catch em on pixie spoons and jigs.

Don't forget the Arctic Char while in the neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    The name of your thread, Juneau VS Alaska (as strange as it sounds at first) could become a major headline in the next few years if they move the capital. Unknown to you, you may have just started a statewide slogan. HAHA.

On the other hand, Juneau fishing can be good and can be REALLY bad. Seems to me you have more options, as far as places to fish, out of Anchorage, but you cant beat SEAK for scenery and good times. I wouldnt trade it for Anchorage. Just my .02 cents.
    Sidebar: Move Anchorage to the capital.

Default Juneau vs Anchorage

Just a clarification here. Juneau is a flight from Anchorage. The fishing around Juneau is mainly saltwater, either trolling or mooching. It is one of the best sport troll fisheries for kings the state has, IMO. The closest saltwater fishing to Anchorage is Whittier, about an hour's drive South, and then Seward, about 2 hour's drive South. Neither one is highly noted for their king fishing. It can be good, meaning everyone on the boat will get a limit, but rarely great, and its mostly feeder kings, which run 15-35# for the norm. Remember, this is just my opinion, based upon other fisheries which I've been a part of. The bulk of saltwater king fishing in SC (Southcentral) happens off the mouths of several rivers on the Kenai Peninsula. Deep Creek, Anchor and the Ninilchik probably being the most popular, and they're between a 3 and 5 hour drive South of Anchorage.

There's great freshwater King and trout fishing 90 minutes outside of Anchorage in both directions- North or South. South to Cooper Landing, North to the Valley. Right in Anchorage there is a fun urban fishery, in Ship Creek, but it is a muddy mess and crowded. Anyhow, have fun this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    ...visiting SEAK is well worth it just for the experience?
    Visiting all 5 separate and distinct regions of Alaska is well worth it just for the experience! To fully explore and experience all 5 regions would take several lifetimes, and I don't even know if that's really enough!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess I will have to visit yearly...

So, I may be wrong but from the posts it seems like I will have to drive a few hours out to get into a charter that will put me into halibut, or lingcods, and rockfish?

1)What is the closest town/port where I should charter out of?

2)And as for the KOBUK RIVER SHEEFISH- Will there be possibility for them in June or July? How do I get there? Plane? Boat? Drive?

Im editing here; I said I should visit yearly, but maybe I should just move there for a few years instead...

Default where to begin

I was in the same boat as you once. I lived out east, and lived to fish. When I finnally got the chance i came out in the spring (it is an amazingly beautiful drive, and gives some understanding of the vastness of the state) I took the first two months off and traveled the state with my labs Just experiencing it) I never left. There is more for a fishing addict in this state then you could ever experience, Do yourself a favor don't rule out trout and other freshwater fish. We catch trout over ten pounds, laketrout up to thirty pounds, and pike that are over four feet long. I live in fairbanks now, for work and play, I travel fishing during the summer from north to the yukon and brooks range ( pike, sheefish, char ) and south to PWS and the kenai . ( salmon and butts, rockfish, lings, ) I catch grayling in the slough in my front yard when I am bored, And trout and lakers + burbot all over the state.

From the sound of it you may want to be prepared to stay. You will never regret it!

Oh man...

Im still several months out but Im already having sleepless nights!!!

All you guys are obviously hardcore fishermen so you would have appreciated the conversation I had with my girlfriend today. As I said at the beginning, I planned a 2 month trip. The conversation with my girlfriend went like this:

"Rosie?"

"Yes"

"Did you know, we found enough clients to work with for a whole month in Bellingham,WA?"

"Really? It was more like 3 weeks"

"Nope!! I was a whole month!!!"

"Ok, whatever"

"As well, did you know that anchorage is 3 times bigger than Bellingham?"

"Oh, I didnt know that"

"well, the way I figured, since we found 1 month or work in Bellingham, and Anchorage is 3 times bigger, we should probably stay 3 months not 2! Its only logical financially!"

"sigh..."

End of conversation. So, I may have snuck in an extra month! pray for me dudes.

As for the freshwater fishing, I saw some of those pics of rainbows, and that sheefish...Geez is all I can say. I get what you're saying AKFISHFOOL. They arent the east coast trout that weigh 1/2 pound thats for sure.

I really want to catch a Sheefish. As much as I know that the Salmon and Butts are the big catch, I have such an addictive personality that now that my mind is set, Im gonna go after him hardcore.

Sitka

How to get to the kobuk, bush flight.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

Sitka

How to get to the kobuk, bush flight.
    Again a newbie question: Bush fight?
    1- Does that mean there are tons of people and its hard to get a spot to fish?
    2- I have to cut my way through the bush?
    3- Or fight with my girlfriend to allow me to go?

Because the 3rd bush often wins.

oh yeah, I almost forgot to apologize for the name of my thread

I meant: vs anchorage not vs alaska. Mistake.

It's ok Joe...I'm sure it gave everyone a good laugh Lucky you for being up there for 8 weeks....how did you score that? lol

the kobuk is remote middle of no where river. You'll have to take a small plane, load up and get dropped off. Try bettles air, brooks range aviation, coyote air, or the host of others working the south side of the slope.

forgot to add....ok ok, I'll keep it clean. This bush flight aint cheap, if there is such a thing anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast