Thread: My Dream Come True!!!!

Default My Dream Come True!!!!

Hey guys,

First of all I want to say hi to everybody because Im obviously new to the forum. Im in my late 20's and have only been fishing seriously for about 5 years now. I really got addicted because of saltwater fishing out in the Northeast around Rhode Island and Mass.

I fished so hard in my last 2 years there that I lost my job. Nothing bad though cuz I got a better job afterwards!! Its called self-employment and my boss lets me fish A LOT!!

For 3 years now, Ive been literally dreaming, and hoping to one day fish Alaska. Ive been reading anything I can online, and watch the fishing shows on tv over and over. When I watched 30 days of night, all I could think of is "I wonder how far away they are from the ocean...I would just go fishing. F## those vampires".

Finally, in June this year, I am gonna trek my way to anchorage. Im going to spend 2 months there and will try to fish more than I work. Its my goal. 30 hours work, 31 hours fishing.

What I was hoping is that someone on this forum wouldnt mind giving up a few general tips on fishing Anchorage. I know its a lot to type on a keyboard but you would really help me out. These are the things I am curious to know.

1) Whats running in June and July from shore? I am extremely focused on saltwater fishing. Im not too interested in trout, or smaller freshwater fish. I really am itching to fish salmon.

2) Any saltwater beaches to recommend? Rivers? Bays? Lakes?

3) What should I use?

4) I will charter a boat as well. What part of my stay should I do it? Early June? Late July?

5) If you dont want to give up this info on the forum, please email me. I would really appreciate it.

joehorng79@gmail.com

If I dont get a response, thats fine. Ill still enjoy my stay. As long as I cast a line in Alaska, I think it will satisfy craving Ive had all these years.

Tight lines all!

First of all, casting for salmon from the shore in saltwater likely won't be very productive in June and July. River fishing is a far better bet during this time frame, though it's possible. There will be no options for saltwater salmon fishing in the Anchorage area, however. For that you will need to head down towards Ninilchik or Homer, which is about a 5 hour drive south. It's a great drive, though, and one you should certainly take while up here. In fact, there just isn't all that great of salmon fishing ever in the Anchorage area. An hour and a half north, two hours south, now we're talking...but not in Anchorage itself. The notable exception to that is Ship Creek, which holds king salmon in May/June and silver salmon in July/August. Ship Creek is in the downtown industrial area and is most certainly an urban fishery. Crowds, mud, loud trucks - Ship Creek has it all.

Your better options for salmon are going to involve fishing the rivers. In June you can hit a number of the Kenai Peninsula streams for kings. Your best bet without a boat will be the Anchor River, Ninilchik River, Deep Creek, and other streams in that vicinity. The Kasilof is also fishable from shore, but better from a drift boat. The Kenai is famous for the size of its kings, but they're harder to catch and nearly impossible from shore. (Nearly, not completely....or so I've heard.) In mid June the red salmon also start running in the Kenai, and the place to catch them will be in the Russian River from June 11th through the end of the month.

Once July rolls around your options expand, with more reds and kings arriving. Later in the month you'll get some early silvers and pinks. These are probably the best species for shore saltwater casting, but they're not very thick near shore until August. Silvers caught in the salt are an absolute blast, though. Very, very acrobatic and hard fighting fish.

You can catch kings in the salt in May and June (all year long, actually), but you'll need a boat for trolling. Yes, some folks do luck into a king casting lures from shore, but that's very rare if you're not near a spawning stream or an area where they're stocked.

WOW!!!

Thanks Brian M. Thats the kind of info I was looking for. You've given me about 2 weeks of googling all these names of rivers you've given me.

As for the 2 hours south and north of Anchorage...Where should I go? Driving 5,6 hours doesnt bother me a bit, especially if it gets me into some fish. Visiting Alaska for 2 months will feel like 2 days to me, so if I can soak in some sights heading to fishing grounds, Im all for it.

As well, Im gonna charter a boat, where should I do that?

Thanks

Default Breaking you in...

Our webmaster has done a fine job stocking his bookstore for guys like you. There are some terrific tutorials out there written by persons who know the way, and we share it with others.

I've wrote some and read many. Though we differ as authors in writing styles, all of us do credit to our craft in assisting the angler.

Browse the bookstore and take a look around. Everything you need to know is on the shelf...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can catch kings in the salt in May and June (all year long, actually), but you'll need a boat for trolling. Yes, some folks do luck into a king casting lures from shore, but that's very rare if you're not near a spawning stream or an area where they're stocked.
    When I was much younger, Whiskey Gulch near Anchor Point was great for catching kings from shore (saltwater fishing) using large T Spoons. I don't see many people trying this any more, but when I troll down there, it is often in less than 10' of water!

It certainly is an option in late May or June

Good luck

Thanks for that link! And thanks for the shore fishing spot!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a saltwater fishing charter? Id like to go for halibut and ling and rockfish for a few days. Maybe not a specific guide (I dont want to spam the board) but maybe a town/port close to anchorage that can get me into some big 'butts??

Seward in July will be a great option for saltwater fishing. You can catch big halibut, plenty of rockfish and ling cod, and even do well trolling for saltwater silver salmon. Seward is one of the first places to get silvers, so that would get my vote.

Figure about $180-$210 per day for the charter as a walk on plus gratuity.

go to valdez, catch lots and lots of pinks.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    go to valdez, catch lots and lots of pinks.
    If youve got the time it sounds like you have, Valdez would be a trip worth taking. For scenery and fishing. Look into salmon shark fishing on a charter out of Valdez.
    Havent done it yet, but if I had time like you have, would be at the top of my list.

Pinks are fun! Geez, anything is fun to me!
    Whats the retention on pinks? I think those are great smoked. Not the best, but I carry beef jerky in my car, so you can imagine how good smoked salmon is after omberto jerky.

What month are the pinks there? Can someone PM me some directions to a decent spot?

Thanks a million again and again and again to everybody.

Out of seward, look up Profish-n-sea charters, top notch.

If you are looking for some king fishing from the rivers, check out D-Ray personal guide service. He runs Kasilof in a great drift boat.

http://www.d-ray.com/

I think Pinks are 6/day. but read the regs to be sure as that is the ONLY way to really know any reg year to year.

A spot for pinks in Valdez huh???? Pretty much anywhere!! Once you drive through town you can keep going to the other side of the bay there, I think it's called Allison point, and there are RV spots everywhere. Simply cast a spoon or spinner from shore and you will crush them.

Hope will be very good for pinks this year.

Moose River at Izak Walton State Park is very good for pinks, and reds, but is fly fishing only. (you can still use a spinning rod just have to have terminal "fly" gear on it).