Thread: Sea Duck Hunting questions II

Default Sea Duck Hunting questions II

I tried to post this link earlier, but the something happened and it got all messed up, so I will try again.

I did not want to hijack skybust's thread about where people are planning on going for duck hunting, so I decided to post a new one.

I have a friend with a 26 foot boat talked into going out for sea ducks this year. So I have a few Sea duck hunting questions for all of the experienced sea duck hunters out there.

1. What kind of areas should we be looking for to hunt? Should we be focusing on shallow coves, or open water, or something else?

2. Do we need to use sea duck or diver decoys? I have about 10 dozen puddle duck decoys, but no divers.

3. How many decoys would you recommend putting out?

4. Do I need to buy any sea duck, or diver calls?

5. Does anybody have a problem with their shotguns rusting in the salt water, even with a camo finish?

Any help you guys can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

From what I have gathered from years of inter net lurking here are the basic answers.

Location: the birds feed on small mullusks like muscles, so it is best if you set up near submerged rocks where they will be feeding naturally. PWS has more than a couple of rocks in it and nearly all the shoreline has rocks covered in muscles. You will have to scout to find an area the birds are using. They may not use the same area twice in a season, but that is why we use decoys.

You will need dark decoys for the dark birds. To target some species like long tails and eiders you may wan to have some specific decoys for them since they target the food rather than the location. If they see others of their kind they will come in thinking that the table is set. Now, you may find the cross over ducks like the GE's will come into puddle duck decoys, but the others may not as often.

I have read that most sea duck hunters set up at least 2 dozen decoys.

I don't know of any calls in production for seaducks. Most of these species react to movement and visual cues. Flagging with a black flag can get their attention, but don't flag after they have seen the setup.

They don't call them 870 "Rustpresses" for nothing. Modern coated guns need to be washed in fresh water before being stored, but they should not be harmed if maintained well. Even my low end Stoegy 2000 rusts at one spot on the barrel in the rain. Saltwater would eat it up quickly if I did not wash it and dry it.

Here is todd's DHBP post for a trip in Washington state this last winter. Yes, he duck and bird hunts with a "cow" dog. The long tail decoys are made from old plastics repainted and large zip ties for tails.

This is Todd's best Puget Sound post. He shows the remanufactured long tails and harley decoys, and writes up a good story. The photos take some time to load.

If you can't view the photos it is easy to join the site just use your real name, or something like it. They won't let you through with "quacker wacker" like names.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I tried to post this link earlier, but the something happened and it got all messed up, so I will try again.

I did not want to hijack skybust's thread about where people are planning on going for duck hunting, so I decided to post a new one.

I have a friend with a 26 foot boat talked into going out for sea ducks this year. So I have a few Sea duck hunting questions for all of the experienced sea duck hunters out there.

1. What kind of areas should we be looking for to hunt? Should we be focusing on shallow coves, or open water, or something else?

2. Do we need to use sea duck or diver decoys? I have about 10 dozen puddle duck decoys, but no divers.

3. How many decoys would you recommend putting out?

4. Do I need to buy any sea duck, or diver calls?

5. Does anybody have a problem with their shotguns rusting in the salt water, even with a camo finish?

Any help you guys can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks

Areas you should look for - Mussel beds - Scoters and the likes generally feed on these - Rocky points and outcrops are typically good seaduck areas.

For decoys - It doesnt seem to matter too much. I do however use scoter decoys - Used to be mallard and bluebill decoys but I painted them to scoters. I use about 3-4 dozen right now - The more you have the better!

Do not bother with calls for sea duckin - its pointless :P However, making a black flag to swing around does help get the attention sometimes.

I dont have a problem with my shotgun rusting - I still make sure I keep it clean though...

How do you set up the decoys IE Scooters? Do you put them in a straight line?

-----------------------
    -----------------------
    Have the 2 lines about 2 decoys length apart?

/ /
    / /
    / /

Or should I have them on an angle like this
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I usually do Gang Lines....Run about 10-12 decoys on each line....then set them 5-6 feet apart....depending on the area, and how many decoys I wanna throw out..

I just try to make it look as realistic as possible..