Thread: 480 Ruger

Default 480 Ruger

Anybody have experience with this round or can direct me to a thread? I cannot find anything on the search function.

Seems like a very good DLP round being between the 44 and 454.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

There was an Issue that was common with the 480 Ruger where cases would stick often enough and bad enough that it was nearly impossible to remove them without the assistance of a hammer or tree stump.

Ruger supposedly confirmed there was indeed a problem and have addressed it by modifing the cylinder wall thickness. From what I understand the cylinder was too thin on the outside and caused fired brass to bind up. I believe the've fixed the problem and will repair/replace older versions. It might we worth a little caution and maybe try to find a newer version.

Here's a thread I'd started a while ago:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=22691
    I've thought of getting one. I just wish there were more factory loads to choose from.

Thumbs up

Great round, I bought the SRH a couple of years ago and have shot deer with it, hopefully blackies this spring. I also got the 480 in a SS Puma lever action this fall.

I Think The 480 Is A Awesome Round..my Gun Has Been Trustworthy Every Time...

Have you tried the Buffalo Bore 410 grn or 370 grn loads?

I honestly cannot understand why this round doesn't get more attention up here. The 44 Mag is great and the Casull a thumper (won't even mention the big new Smiths) and this fills the gap perfectly with plenty enough diameter and energy to be a stopper whilst shedding lots of Casull recoil. What's the catch besides a lack of factory loadings?

I'm shooting BG370 grain, because that's what was available.

On the previous thread Hawken 54 stated:

I honestly can't tell much difference in the recoil, if both have good aftermarket grips. I bought my Ruger .454 and a buddy bought it in .480. He and I shoot together quite a bit, and with the right grips, even the .454 is not that bad. If you can handle full-power .44 Magnum loads in a Redhawk, you can handle the .454 in the Super Redhawk.
    That differs quite a bit from what I have been reading:
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/Shootin...les.asp?ID=696

Maybe it's an issue of loads, but since factory loads are limited in the 480 I kind of have to discount that.

If perceived recoil is that close to the Casull the advantage becomes minimal to me personally.

Any insight? Hawken?

I too have a .480 in a Puma. I just crono' ed a load pushing a 410gr cast @ 1300fps. This is about what I wanted in this gun.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Maybe it's an issue of loads, but since factory loads are limited in the 480 I kind of have to discount that.
    I think this may have something to do with the problems that Ruger had with the .480. Now that that has been resolved * so to speak* and the .480 is back on the market, I wonder if there will be more factory loads.

Irregardless, I bought one (.480 Ruger SRH) from a co-worker and have no intentions of parting from it for the lack of factory loads. I will simply need to invest in a re-loading setup and make my own.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default was thinking of getting a

Glock20 10mm and using my 44 for when in brownie country. but now thinking sell my 44 and skip on the glock and get a ruger super redhawk in 480. the 2008 guns come with a one piece hoge molded grip, said to reduce recoil. I think the gun looks better with that grip compared to old factory grip. Now if I can just find here in town. Decisions decisions. Ummm what to do.

Default close..

I bought an 8" BFR in 475 linebaugh, and cut the bbl down flush with the ejector rod (About 4-1/2") last summer.

Most of my loads are in the 480 ruger range. 400 gr @ 1200 fps. Recoil is subjective, mine doesn't seem to be that bad. It does take a moment to get back on target, more so than a 44 blackhawk for example.

I've used 2400, Unique, I4227, and W296, all have worked well for me.

I also read Dick Metcalf's article, and thought he might have something there, except for my hands-on experience. I shoot with a good friend who has a .480, and he swears by it, We both agree that with the FACTORY grips, the .480 is noticably lighter in the felt recoil. With Hogue grips on my .454 and his .480, we both can feel little difference in felt recoil.

I also read everything Dick Metcalf has to say with a huge grain of salt. If you remember, he single-handedly destroyed the Masters competition due to his ineptness and mismanagement of the funds he was entrusted with. That used to be one of the premier handgun competitions in the world.

Those factory grips suck, as most do to me because I have large hands. A good set of aftermarket rubber-type grips makes a world of difference. I can't shoot many rounds (full "battle" loads) with these factory grips on my Casull, but can shoot it all day long with the replacements. The same with my .44 Magnum handguns, Love 'em, but only after replacing the factory grips.

The .480 is an excellent round if you don't already have something in the .454 class or larger.

I am also glad Ruger got this gun back on the market. There is a definite need for it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Thanks. The rubber grips are standard now on the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. It makes sense that the recoil claims are hyped as the rounds are so similar.