Thread: Coyote Hide Care

Default Coyote Hide Care

I just started coyote hunting and managed to get one a few days ago. When I got home I skinned it and turned the ears. It was late at night and I didn't have enough salt to salt it completely so I thought it would be best to freeze it before it started to go bad.

Side note: I recently relocated to Louisiana from Alaska courtesy of the USAF, so outside temperatures forced me to take care of it rather quickly.

My plan is to hopefully get a couple more and then either send them in to get tanned or try to tan them myself. Do I need to split the lips before tanning them? Do I need to salt the one that went directly into the freezer before sending it out or tanning it? I really hope that I didn't ruin the hide by taking care of it the way I did, but it was really late at night when I completed it and I had to be to work early in the morning. It is a large coyote in my opinion with nice color and I would really like to have him tanned sometime. I would post a pic on here, but don't know how to post the correct size and don't want to end up posting an oversized image. Thanks for any advice.

It depends what you want to do with it... If you just want a wallhanger, no need to split the lips, IMO. You dont even need the lips. If you want it mounted you'll want to split the lips and eye flesh. In any case, I would get it on a stretcher, hide out, with a fan on it to dry the hide. Then turn it right side out once the hide is pretty dry. Only need salt where the wet spots are by the ears, feet, etc before you turn it fur out. Leave it on the stretcher for a few days fur out until its totally dry then remove it and try to keep it frozen until you send it in for tanning. Thats my 0.02, just what I know and I've only done a couple myself.

Oh yea, hopefully you fleshed it once it was off the carcass, theres alot of fat, membrane, and oils that really need to be removed to have a hide that wont grease burn. Im sure someone with more experience than me will chime in...

Do a search on (Moyle Mink and Tannery). They have a tip section on shipping and fixing fur to be shipped. They also have their e-mail adress on the website, and will answer questions if you need more help.

Default Thanks

Thank you for the help.

I hope you didn't salt it, then put it in the freezer. It will not completely freeze with salt on it. All we do with ours are flesh and stick them on a stretcher to air dry. No salt needed.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default No Salt

Thanks for the info, I did not use any salt at all. I will attempt to post a pic here thanks to some help from a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I hope you didn't salt it, then put it in the freezer. It will not completely freeze with salt on it. All we do with ours are flesh and stick them on a stretcher to air dry. No salt needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yote 1Sized.jpg  

Default What did you do??

Did you shoot your neighbors German Shepard? Just kiding, nice dog. Congrats.

Default Don't laugh

Don't laugh. We had a guy over here take a wolf into be tagged by the taxidermist. Seeeeeeemmmms that it WAS a Gernman Shepard that he shot up the road a ways.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Did you shoot your neighbors German Shepard? Just kiding, nice dog. Congrats.
    If thats the case, my neighbor sure does have lots of German Shepards running around where I hunt. I hear at least 1 pack howling just about every time I am hunting in the evening there. I have several pictures of them on game cams and the place is full of tracks. I decided to do something about it when I saw pictures and video from my game cams of yotes chasing deer. I never imagined they would be so large down here or have nice hides on them.