Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Load 223

Question AR Load 223

Just getting my stuff together for my AR-15 handloads, I have accumlated:
    1:9 Twist
    Lapua Match Brass
    CCI Br4 Primers
    68 BTHP Hornady

I plan on using Varget or Reloader 15 for powder any suggestions?

Any other advice appricated!

Thanks

For an AR load, I chose a ball powder. I wanted to be able to crank them out on a progressive loader (Dillon). I've burned a bunch of W748 in an AR with good results, others praise H335.

Even if you're not going to use a progressive machine, use a powder measure vs. weighing every charge. It will save you a bunch of time, and you won't sacrifice accuracy.

If I were you, I would ditch the Lapua brass too. You're going to lose some with an AR; it's inevitable. Might as well fling the cheaper stuff on the ground.

Thumbs up Brass

I have taped a small piece of stiff paper to the side of the ejection port, that will cause the brass to deflect close to my feet.....works pretty good....old trick!

Heard alot of good talk about 748 in the AR.....how clean does it burn?

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    how clean does it burn?
    I really don't know. I bought an 8# can of W748, and used it almost exclusively for my AR loads. It wasn't dirty, that I remember, but I don't have anything else to compare it to. I certainly would use it again, but lately I've been running Benchmark in my bolt gun.

I am currently w/o an AR....again. Love-hate relationship, I guess. I'm sure I'll get another one.

Default Powder

AK Bush Man, 748 burns pretty dirty. It really gums up the gas rings in my Bushmaster. If only I could afford that new piston upper....
    I have used 748 for a long time, but am presently working up loads with Ramshot Tac, which is better in my opinion. Also working up loads with Benchmark as well. it is supposed to be top notch for AR's. We'll see.

Question 68/69 Hpbt

Have you used Varget/RL15 in the AR with 68/69 HPBT Match bullets?

I read that the 75 AMAX is real good.......but I don't know if it will work in 1:9 twist AR.

Default Powder

I personally haven't used any AMAX's, but a friend of mine has and he likes them ok. That bullet will stabalize in a 1:9, but the Swift Scirrocco is at the outside of the limit. I have fired Sierra 65 gr Game kings in mine, 64 gr Power Points, 60 grain V-max's, 63 gr Sierra semi pointed bullets, and I am about to load up and try some of these new 60 gr ballistic tips.
    I fooled around very brifly last year with Varget, but it don't meter worth a dang for me so I stopped using that. Same goes for RL-15. I love that powder for my Whelen and 375, but I load the AR rounds on a Dillon progressive, so I don't like the powders that don't flow like water.
    So far I have had excellent results with 748, Benchmark, H-335, H-322, IMR-4198, and Ramshot Tac. If you have to fool around with stick powders much for the 223, something is wrong.

Default Rl15

RL15 is my standard powder with 69 SMK bullets.

A freind uses accurate 2230 and 68grn sierra match bullets with excellent results.

just a thought.CCI Benchrest Primers.Why does CCI sell #41 primers ? Are #41 used to guard against Slam Fires. I of course have not seen a box of cci #41 since I bought the last 1000 Gun Down Under had, just before they threw in the towel last Sept. I am getting ready to load for my Bushmaster AR and do wonder about the slam fire issue. Thoughts.

Thumbs up CCI Br4

CCI 400 and Br4 have the hard primer cups......along with Rem 7.5.

Older WSR with the nickle was hard also......the newer brass color are soft stay away.

FC are soft.......the Fed 205 Match can be used but are soft.

CCI Br4 also have the lowest ES......which is excellent.

41 are just a Mil Spec primer hard cup no one uses them in comp shooting with the AR

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountry View Post
    just a thought.CCI Benchrest Primers.Why does CCI sell #41 primers ? Are #41 used to guard against Slam Fires. I of course have not seen a box of cci #41 since I bought the last 1000 Gun Down Under had, just before they threw in the towel last Sept. I am getting ready to load for my Bushmaster AR and do wonder about the slam fire issue. Thoughts.
    NorthCountry, you needn't worry too much about slam fires. especially in a semi-auto Bushy. That's what I have and even on the few occasions when I have rock and rolled my rifle, there hasn't been any problems. I use Federal Match primers in mine exclusively, and no issues. I have had my rifle for 5 or 6 years and am working on my 5th or 6th box of primers for mine. Yeah, that's 5 or 6000 rounds without a slam fire. That problem occurs infrequently with full auto guns. For a regular old rifle like ours that's a coyote gun, it's not even a worry.

I had no luck with IMR 4198 on the dillon at all. Bridged every 4th round or so.
    RL15 worked OK, but I really had to watch for bridging, which was 1-2 times in about 2000 rds.

I put the RCBS measure and the RCBS auto acutuator and it throws IMR 4198 fine right now. I have not tried RL15 yet.

I heard there are some mods on can do to help with this problem, have you an souce of information on that?

RL15 and 77Gr SMK or NOS shoot very well out to 600 yds in my rifle.

Thumbs up 4198

In bolt guns heard 4198 worked well along with RL7 with light bullets......but in the AR 15.........the RL10, 2015BR, H4895, 2520 along with RL15/Varget works very well.

Question 2230

Anyone use 2230 in the AR with 77gr SMK?

I am looking for .223 brass, either commercial or military/LE I need 2000-3000 pieces. Does anyone know where affordable brass can be found here in Alaska?
    With the military bases here, there ought to be a bunch of range clean-up brass.
    Anyone having a lead, give me a shout at normandmary@alaska.net

Thanks

Norm Olson

Thumbs up Primers

For use in semi-automatics and AR15s, we advise that you stick to CCI and Remington primers. These brands have harder cups and are much less likely to pierce primers. Also, the AR15 has a free-floating firing pin that dents the primer on loading. This creates a risk of slam fires. So you want hard primer cups. The latest generation of Winchester primers, with brass-colored cups, should be avoided for AR15 use. The old silver Winchester primers worked fine, but the current WSRs are soft and can be pierced more easily than CCI or Rem primers. A poll of Highpower competitors (mostly shooting ARs) showed that Rem 7 1/2 primers are the most popular (33.23%), followed by CCIs (25.78%). The majority of CCI users favored the CCI BR4s, but both CCI 400s (small rifle standard) and CCI 450s (small rifle magnum) were also popular. Only 10.25% of Highpower shooters polled used Federal primers (either 205M or 205). At the time of the poll, many shooters reported using WSRs, but this was the older version with silver cups. See NationalMatch.us website for complete poll results.

Default Powder

In the AR AA 2230c is a very hard powder to surpass. It was designed for the cartridge hence its number. It throws well and doesn't bridge. It is a super short cut conical almost resembleing a ball powder. It works well in every powder measure that my friends and I have used it in.
    It burns very clean with nearly zero residue. I and my friends have burned about 48# of this powder through our bolt varmint rifles and AR's with no complaints.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thumbs up POwder

2230 will be the next powder I try........with 50gr to 52gr bullets.

went to the range with Varget and 68 BTHP and was very pleased

2015BR with 52gr MK.....failure to cycle.....but accuracy was good

would 1:9" stabalize a 75 Amax?

Still have all my Lapua Brass! recover after each shot! expensive!

Default Believe SO

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post

would 1:9" stabalize a 75 Amax?

Still have all my Lapua Brass! recover after each shot! expensive!
    I've used a lot of AA2015 BR in 222 and 22 PPC bolt guns but never in an auto so I have no knowledge of it performance as far as cycling, but it normally groups well, as a Bench Rest powder.

Your 1:9 should stabilize 69 grn bullets well but the 75 grn might be right on the cusp of stabilization. BUT, being a curious george I'ld try it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast