Thread: Interpretation:

Default Interpretation:

As per a download of Alaska F&G Regulations:

"artificial fly means a fly which is constructed by common methods known as fly tying, including a dry fly, wet fly, and nymph, which is free of bait as defined below. Materials and chemicals designed and produced primarily to cause flies to float or sink may be used on artificial flies."

"artificial fly (unweighted) means a fly which weighs less than one-fourth ounce in its entirety."

I am assuming from the above that a fly tied with a dumbell head, bead chain head, cone head (etc.) and which has a shank wrapped in lead is legal as long as it is doesn't weigh 1/4 ounce or more. I am also assuming that a fly tied on a jig-head is not considered a fly and is illegal. Am I correct in this interpretation?

Not to nit-pick but, in the interest of remaining legal, I am asking this question:

When the Alaska Fish and Game folks stipulate, "less than one-fourth ounce in its entirety"; do they consider the dry weight or wet weight of the fly. In other words, I would expect that any bunny strip type fly would weigh quite a bit differently between dry weight and wet weight.

I would say you could use a jig head to tie a fly, but not in unweighted areas unless you were under the weight limit.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I would say you could use a jig head to tie a fly, but not in unweighted areas unless you were under the weight limit.
    that would be a jig though... But yea I used to clamp rubbercore sinkers to my flies for the russian back before I figured out how to get the sockeye to bite, they were still unweighted because the were <1/4 oz (I don't know of any other way to weight a fly so that it is heavier than that)

Alaska "fly fishing" rules are useless. I don't know a single fly fisherman who only fishes weights more than 18" up from the fly...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    that would be a jig though... But yea I used to clamp rubbercore sinkers to my flies for the russian back before I figured out how to get the sockeye to bite, they were still unweighted because the were <1/4 oz (I don't know of any other way to weight a fly so that it is heavier than that)

Alaska "fly fishing" rules are useless. I don't know a single fly fisherman who only fishes weights more than 18" up from the fly...
    Your right PM. It's a dumb rule. But now you know one guy who abides by it